• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Living in an old humid house has it's downsides... Fortunately we're moving into a newer less humid house soon[ish].

In the meantime I guess I need to keep things extra oiled. My Sig p226 has rusting sights and my Wilson Combat's sights are starting to rust a little bit as well - both are carry firearms so they tend to rub the oil/protectant off pretty quickly.

Any tips, beyond making sure to apply oil regularly, that may help?

The rust is minor, at this point, and a little steel wool TLC fixed it up without an issue but I'd like to do what I can to help make sure it doesn't become a larger issue.

Beyond that - my general rant is about rust in general. Rust on my car, rust on my reloading press, rust on my guns, etc... I use all of this stuff regularly and do my best to take care of it and yet it still manages to find some way/some place to rust on me!

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    i have the same problem, i wrap my guns in heavy oil coated cloth while i store them. you could use a strong auto lube called motorcote i use it on my guns and they quit rusting it aint cheap though, put some in your cars oil too while your at it.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    i don't know about your guns - but for tools and similar items there is a solution. I have a table saw that sits in my (mostly) unheated outbuilding. The cast iron top started to have surface rust. While at a woodworking show in Indianapolis I found a product that is tremendous. There was one bottle that acted as a cleanser if rust had formed. The second bottle was a liquid that is used to put a light coat on materials subject to rust. Since applying I've had no rust issues on anything I've used it on. Can't remember the name of the product now - but I'll make a trip out to the shop and then advise.

Have your car rust proofed. It's not that expensive. I have a 1997 Chevrolet Z71 4x4 that I had rust checked when purchased. Each year thereafter it costs about $70 to have it reapplied. I have absolutely NO rust on the body. The truck bed is rust free - no rust on the fenders or on the bottom of the doors either.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    You can use any sort of grease/oil when storing. Heck, you can just coat a gun in trailer grease if you're storing it. Just be sure to clean it before you use it again.

for edc guns, I just wipe them down with oil every once in a while.

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    I use Ballistol on all of my pistols and revolvers. It is a great lubricant and preservative.
    I find it keeps all of my guns rust free and looking good.
    You can check it out on the internet.
    You should not use Ballistol on guns with gold engraving, or nickel finishes.
    All others are OK.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    With the car - I got backed into and it put a small dent in my back driver side door. Wasn't enough to really be upset about but when I was checking the tire well I see it had flexed out the edge of the metal a bit - paint chipped - and now it's rusting. It's just in a terrible spot to fix and the body shop wanted like $600 to do it - and even then - no real way to know if it's rusting on the inside [the side of the metal I can't see].

I've pretty much determined this car will be my daily driver/beater/etc once I get something a little nicer :).

As far as the guns - know any good ways to get the surface rust in the tights spots like where the vertical post meets the base? I can't get in there with steel wool and was nervous about using a brass brush but I'm not sure.

I think I just need to make sure the ones I plan to store get a liberal coat of protectant and the ones I carry - I just need to remember to oil them periodically. With the Wilson Combat - I simply forgot - with the Sig - I thought I had but I guess not well enough.

snuffy33

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 25, 2008
    Indy
    As far as the guns - know any good ways to get the surface rust in the tights spots like where the vertical post meets the base? I can't get in there with steel wool and was nervous about using a brass brush but I'm not sure.
    You might try one of those ink erasers that are shaped like a wooden pencil except the lead part is white eraser material. It can be sharpened to a point or wedge shape to get into corners.

Guyinwarsaw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2013
    near warsaw
    This is something I learned a long time ago about metal and rust. If I happened to open my gun case on a warm humid day and the guns are colder than the air, condensation will form and the guns will sometimes rust. Tools in the garage will do the same thing. So in regard to my guns I pay attention to the weather and the temperature of my guns, wipe off my fingerprints and keep 'em oiled and as dry as possible. I've actually had some mold form on the stock of one of my older guns mostly in the checkering. I assume that's from handling and moisture as well. I make sure I wipe the stock with alcohol every now and again and I wipe all the stocks down with my gun cloth to help prevent that.
    I'm sure you already know these things. Just somethin' to think about.

palerider0485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    just north of muncie.
    when you store a gun whip then very well with oil, you said you use steel wool to remove the rust,... i wouldnt uses steel wool. that will also remove blueing which will cause rust to start where metal is exposed, i use a nylon brissle brush. i think the best way to prevent rust starts with the finish, the spray on finishes work well, wont have rust untill scratched.

Bounty Hunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    There you are.
    WAX them.....

Might sound kind of crazy, but what kind of water do you have. Hard water, or sulfur can be bad on everything. We had issues with everything in the house like that, and we put a water system on our well and it stopped. I could put on new guitar strings and within a week they would be discolored. No longer have that problem.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    We live in an old house with well water but we do have a softener. That said - I don't use water on the guns - the house is mostly humid just due to being poorly insulated and old - it just ... feels old when you walk into the house even if you had your eyes closed.

Thankfully should be approved for a home loan in the next few weeks.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I've had very good luck with Corrosion X and Eezox. One application works for a long time and the guns don't look or feel oily. Corrosion X comes in a thicker spray that can be used on autos where rust tends to form.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    I've tested Breakfree CLP on the top of a cheap wet tile saw.
    This top would rust badly over night after each use.
    A good cleaning with CLP, then a final clean coat of CLP let sit for a while, then excess wiped off, the top did not rust at all after two weeks of daily use.

Top Bottom