• ...and so much more!
  • Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Oops, I guess I forgot where I was for a minute. I thought that this was a forum where you could ask serious questions about firearms and get answers. Thank you acteon, GFGT, rockhopper, DavidD, and gluemanz, for taking my questions seriously and giving me thoughtful responses. Thanks for the link, DKY.

Move along, there's nothing more to see here.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Oops, I guess I forgot where I was for a minute. I thought that this was a forum where you could ask serious questions about firearms and get answers. Thank you acteon, GFGT, rockhopper, DavidD, and gluemanz, for taking my questions seriously and giving me thoughtful responses.

Move along, there's noting more to see here.

You don't think required training for a firearm is serious?

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Classes should be required before procreating.
    Classes should be required before talking.
    Classes should be required before voting.
    Classes should be required before...

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    You're on a firearms forum, and you say it's scary not having required training to own firearms.

What kind of response did you expect to get?

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    You're on a firearms forum, and you say it's scary not having required training to own firearms.

What kind of response did you expect to get?

Honest opinions instead of mockery? Again, I forgot where I am.

Thanks, Kittyslayer, for the link.

Ok, from here on out, I'll just sit back and watch, because I already got the answers I needed, plus a bunch of crap I didn't.

Let the games begin. :popcorn:

Last edited:

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Honest opinions instead of mocking? Again, I forgot where I am.

My honest, most polite expression of my opinion is to slam my palm to my forehead in disbelief - repeatedly - until I pass out from blunt force trauma. Infinite. Facepalm. How else might one respond?

The irresponsible will forever be irresponsible; they're irresponsible and not likely to suddenly alter their mindset or thus their behavior and are quite likely to remain irresponsible ad infinitum. Thus no law would affect their mindset or behavior and would not improve their mindset or behavior. The responsible are already responsible, their mindset and behavior reflect their acceptance of their responsibility for their own actions, and act accordingly. Thus for the responsible no laws are needed. So the irresponsible won't care about the law and will remain irresponsible and the responsible don't need the law to tell them to behave responsibly.

All required training does is establish an artificial barrier to ownership, and I will never support required training, nor will I ever truly understand anyone who does. Is this a more acceptable answer? (Sorry it's taken so long to post a response: it's difficult to type with one hand while repeatedly slapping oneself in the forehead with the other.)

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    When you get a driver's license, you have to demonstrate that you know how to use a motor vehicle appropriately. Why not a gun? I know, I know, because rules are bad and we don't want the gubmint telling us what to do.

Have you seen some of the people they give a drivers license too? Drunk drivers, felons, rapist..........

Captain Morgan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    terrible haute

Ok, from here on out, I'll just sit back and watch, because I already got the answers I needed, plus a bunch of crap I didn't.

They gave honest opinions. They honestly believe there should not be training requirements, and they demonstrated that with their response. How were they dishonest?

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Here's my honest opinion. Who is going to decide what constitutes adequate training? I've been raised around guns all my life. At eight, I was hunting with my very own twelve gauge. Is that training? I was law enforcement in the military, how about that? You may say yes, but, if I lived in Ohio, I would have to take training class to lawfully conceal a handgun. Of course, there would be people in the same class who would have to buy a vowel in order to spell gun, but they would be just as qualified as myself.

Training is very important, but forcing someone to be responsible is stupid.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Just remember this when you post on INGO and ask for opinions. It is like going to the grocery store and walk up and down the isles. Some things you put in your cart and some thing remain on the shelf.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana

It's more and more a Second Amendment Forum.

Your questions are valid, but don't expect most of the Luddites here to validate them.

As wisely suggested:

Take a training course. Even the most rudimentary course is better than the offhand wisdom offered by others.

Firing a weapon is a serious business and you should have as little doubt about what is "probably" the best thing to do in a given situation. Hesitation can be deadly. But lethal force isn't always the best solution.

Take a class.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    It's scary that classes are not required.

It would be scarier when classes are required.
    My sister in law moved up here and she brought her gun and both of her carry licenses (New Mexico and Utah) which required training. She was legally allowed to carry in more states than I. She asked to shoot with my one day so we walked out to our range and then she asked me to teach her how to use her gun. This is the same gun that she used to pass her gun safety/training and proficiency tests for 2 different carry licenses!

My daughter, on the other hand, was about 14 years old when this happened. She came to shoot with us. She picked up a gun, dropped the magazine, racked the slide, checked the chamber, kept the gun pointed downrange the whole time. She never took a formal training class.

So why is my daughter, who has not had formal training, somehow scarier than my S-I-L who took multiple training classes, qualified for 2 different licenses and then, just last summer, bought the wrong caliber ammo for her gun? Oh, and don't think she is stupid, she has advanced college degrees from 2 universities so she's bright enough to complete and defend a master's thesis.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Take a defensive class. There should be some in our area.
    Also, Guy Relford in Indy has a gun law class.

Take Guy's Comprehensive Indiana Firearms Laws class. It is well worth the time and money. It will cut through all the armchair advice you will get from friends, family and us on here.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    It's scary that classes are not required.

When you get a driver's license, you have to demonstrate that you know how to use a motor vehicle appropriately. Why not a gun? I know, I know, because rules are bad and we don't want the gubmint telling us what to do.

This why you need training. As a two month old INGOer, you should already know these answers.

Top Bottom