• ...and so much more!
  • Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Getting some good info here. Thanks to those who are taking me seriously.

Note to self: Don't display the slightest bit of ignorance or vulnerability unless you are prepared to deal with the vultures and bottomfeeders.

:popcorn:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Getting some good info here. Thanks to those who are taking me seriously.

Note to self: Don't display the slightest bit of ignorance or vulnerability unless you are prepared to deal with the vultures and bottomfeeders.

:popcorn:

The search function and Google are your friends.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    When someone stabs you with a knife...from personal experience. I didn't actually pull the trigger, had it been in my home, I would have. The gun eliminated the threat even though I didn't have to pull the trigger.

stesco

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Greensburg
    I highly recommend some sort a defensive class. One key point to remember that I was told during a lesson is:

" Remember that every bullet that comes out of your gun has a lawyer attached to it "

Make sure you know the laws, where ever you are.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Rookie, your texting comment was kind of funny. Bwframe, what's the point of having a forum for people to post in if they are just supposed to Google for answers?

An INGO member sent me a very supportive and informative PM, answering my questions in detail and explaining why they (and a lot of other people) disagree with some of my comments. I am going to go ahead and post my response here.

"That's the kind of stuff I was looking for. I can deal with people disagreeing with me or explaining why they think what they think. I welcome it. This is all new to me, and I honestly don't know how I feel about some of these topics. I'm glad for you and some of the others who took the time to educate me rather than mock me."

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Snapdragon, I believe training is good, and people should get it.
    But I do not think it should be required.

Ex-gf of mine came to me to find out how to safely use a pistol. This was a woman that while we were dating, was afraid of guns. Would walk out of a business even if the police came in, because they had guns.
    Then later, she is asking me how to use one.
    Taught her how to load and unload, check the weapon if it's loaded, the 4 rules, yada yada yada, all the basic stuff.

Turns out, her husband had beaten her and hospitalized her.
    She bought one for defense, for immediate defense, and for after the divorce.
    Do you think it would be a good idea to make her wait for a class, and to come up with the money for the class, before she could defend herself?

What if you didn't have your gun, and had someone start threatening you and following you around?
    Would you want to wait for 2 weeks for a class, or longer, because you needed to save the money for the class and the gun?????

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...Bwframe, what's the point of having a forum for people to post in if they are just supposed to Google for answers?...
    I'm sorry, I must not have been clear with the first suggestion of the search function. I meant to suggest searching INGO. Your questions have been answered many, many times over.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    It's scary that classes are not required.

I'm not trying to pile on but to offer another view point to your reaction...

I would submit that what you're experiencing is a wave of self-reliance/responsibility. You realize that the change in lifestyle you are about to take goes hand-in-hand with the immense responsibility associated with the carrying and possible use of a fire arm. You realize that you are inadequately equipped-knowledge wise. That's a good thing. But what the others' kurt responses are saying, in so many words, don't project your epiphany on everybody else. We all share that responsibility. But true freedom means we accept that responsibility and exercise our liberties wisely.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I'm sorry, I must not have been clear with the first suggestion of the search function. I meant to suggest searching INGO. Your questions have been answered many, many times over.

My point is still the same. Why not just shut down the forums to new questions if they have all been answered? Do you suggest this to everyone who asks what gun they should buy or how long their LTCH will take?

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I'm halfway serious here. I've got my LTCH. Got my guns. What I'm lacking is confidence about when it's appropriate to shoot in self-defense and when it's not. I know I have fairly good judgment, but I worry whether I will make the right decision about who/how/when/if to shoot if the time ever comes.

"When do you shoot someone?"

Preferably before they shoot you.

Seriously though, I am glad you are worried about this. To me it shows responsibility. Just make sure you get this question answered to your satisfaction, and then get your mind right so you don't hesitate at that critical moment.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    My point is still the same. Why not just shut down the forums to new questions if they have all been answered? Do you suggest this to everyone who asks what gun they should buy or how long their LTCH will take?

No, only to those who seem to want to talk more than they do listen.

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

I don't mind questions that have been answered.
    But sometimes you get the same question in a couple days or weeks.
    How long to get LTCH?
    Is the lifetime LTCH going away?
    What kind of gun for my girlfriend?
    What kind of gun for me?

While I don't mind, sometimes it does get monotonous.

But then sometimes, things have to be brought up, because they were discussed in the distant past.
    So, it's kind of a trade off.

Top Bottom