• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'm sure it wasn't his cell phone he was looking at...that would be illegal. :):

You can look at it. You can transfer money from your banking account, Google interesting facts, trade stocks, find a new burrito recipe, and scroll funny cat photos. You just can't text message or e-mail. You know, because that would be dangerous.

The texting while driving law is pure stupidity in written form.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy

Absolutely correct. The law is stupid to begin with and enforcement would be next to impossible. OTOH, texting while driving is more stupid than the law. Seems the case that a driver was texting while driving is usually proved during the investigation of a fatal accident.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    You can look at it. You can transfer money from your banking account, Google interesting facts, trade stocks, find a new burrito recipe, and scroll funny cat photos. You just can't text message or e-mail. You know, because that would be dangerous.

I know, I was trying to be pithy. :):

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Absolutely correct. The law is stupid to begin with and enforcement would be next to impossible. OTOH, texting while driving is more stupid than the law. Seems the case that a driver was texting while driving is usually proved during the investigation of a fatal accident.

Yup, any form of distracted driving is dumb. The daughter of one of my cousins has severe brain damage and little to no hope for a normal life (after years is still bedridden, non-verbal, etc.) thanks to the joys of texting while driving. However the idea that texting is any more dangerous than other distractions, including looking at the in car computer, is ridiculous. It just gets more press, so a law gets passed to do something. Its even written so as to withhold the major piece of evidence that could prove if you were texting or not.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel

This distinguishes it from other laws how?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Well, another car vs train, this one not quite as lucky as the officer.

Train collides with truck in Morgantown - TheIndyChannel.com

I'll ask. How distracted do you have to be to miss the fact a train is coming? They aren't sneaky. They are the opposite of sneaky. I'm very sorry this man died for a momentary lapse in awareness (or judgement if he decided to race the train, either way). Hopefully some good can come from it as a reminder to pay the eff attention to what's going on around you as you drive.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Well, another car vs train, this one not quite as lucky as the officer.

Train collides with truck in Morgantown - TheIndyChannel.com

I'll ask. How distracted do you have to be to miss the fact a train is coming? They aren't sneaky. They are the opposite of sneaky. I'm very sorry this man died for a momentary lapse in awareness (or judgement if he decided to race the train, either way). Hopefully some good can come from it as a reminder to pay the eff attention to what's going on around you as you drive.

People wait for lights on the track.
    People wait for traffic on the track.
    People "race" the train.
    People have tunnel vision and have the radio jammed up.
    The list goes on and on.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    People wait for lights on the track.
    People wait for traffic on the track.
    People "race" the train.
    People have tunnel vision and have the radio jammed up.
    The list goes on and on.

When I was a rookie, I watched a guy cross the train track and get about two car lengths before the train came through. As he passed me, I noticed his trailer tire was flat, and his asphalt sealer trailer was on fire. Just the tire and a trail of the goo that was on the outside at that point, not the contents of the trailer. I don't know if it set fire and popped the tire or if the tire had been flat for so long it'd gotten hot enough to start the fire.

I turned around, pulled him over, used a fire extinguisher on his trailer tire/goo, and when I got up to the truck his first words were "why'd you pull me over?"

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    When I was a rookie, I watched a guy cross the train track and get about two car lengths before the train came through. As he passed me, I noticed his trailer tire was flat, and his asphalt sealer trailer was on fire. Just the tire and a trail of the goo that was on the outside at that point, not the contents of the trailer. I don't know if it set fire and popped the tire or if the tire had been flat for so long it'd gotten hot enough to start the fire.

I turned around, pulled him over, used a fire extinguisher on his trailer tire/goo, and when I got up to the truck his first words were "why'd you pull me over?"

"Why'd ya pull me over? It ain't nuttin' but a little fahr. I wus gonna **** on it when I got home."

Top Bottom