• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aikidoka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Hammond
    I read about this on a certain LEO blog and it has me wondering. If someone is sitting in a bar, doing nothing illegal, is not a parolee, etc. And LEO comes in and asks for IDs, are they required by law to give it to them?

Is their being in a bar, where law enforcement thinks it is necessary to run a compliance check enough reasonable suspicion of a crime that by law someone must present ID?

I suppose if it were me I could just hand them my LTCH for grins and giggles.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Seems to me that Indiana law is reasonably clear. If you haven't been detained for an infraction or ordinance violation you can tell them go suck eggs. Not sure if there's some kind of get around for excise cops, but I'd still refuse.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    I hate to say this, but being in a bar that state law requires you to be 21 to enter and alcohol is being served (even if you havent drank) then I'm gonna say YES, they have PC to ask for your ID to make sure your 21. i have had it happen to me before and I gave my ID and would do it again. checking ID's in bars isnt dirty police work in my opinion. the cops probly hate it as much as the patrons. lets use common sense here .... if the law REQUIRES the establishment to ID you then dont you think the cops can legally do it to? I do. and I'd rather show my ID to a cop, then bubba the bar tender

serpicostraight

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    you can tell them to go pound sand. but then they will charge you with knowing your rights. that carries a stiff penalty these days.

serpicostraight

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    i used to run a bar and if there isnt a reason for them to be there then they cant. they can not just walk in and start asking for id at random because they want to. of course that was years ago. in the new and inproved version of amerika who knows. i had several times where they walked up to the door and asked a customer to step outside. i closed the door and told them to leave. and told the customer not to walk outside. if they did the cops arrested them for pi.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    i used to run a bar and if there isnt a reason for them to be there then they cant. they can not just walk in and start asking for id at random because they want to. of course that was years ago. in the new and inproved version of amerika who knows. i had several times where they walked up to the door and asked a customer to step outside. i closed the door and told them to leave. and told the customer not to walk outside. if they did the cops arrested them for pi.

Uh while I did'nt sleep in a Holiday Inn last night.....

I've been in the business for 25 years, and yes they can do a compliance check for legal ID.

Also...
    i closed the door and told them to leave.
    Really you did that, I need proof, not just saying you did that, because I've seen Indiana Excise and the ISP division walk in a do a litmus test for alcohol content for a whole lot less that that, rule #1 don't tick them off for no reason, you will pay the price.

18 years ago I watched them slam handcuffs on a female bartender for writing a false fictitious signature on an invoice because she had someone stalk her because they got her address because she had a unique name.

It's their game, play by their rules or they graciously shut you down because someone farted cross ways wrong.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009

I've been in the business for 25 years, and yes they can do a compliance check for legal ID.

Also...Really you did that, I need proof, not just saying you did that, because I've seen Indiana Excise and the ISP division walk in a do a litmus test for alcohol content for a whole lot less that that, rule #1 don't tick them off for no reason, you will pay the price.

18 years ago I watched them slam handcuffs on a female bartender for writing a false fictitious signature on an invoice because she had someone stalk her because they got her address because she had a unique name.

It's their game, play by their rules or they graciously shut you down because someone farted cross ways wrong.

So they are a bunch of vindictive *******s who are so simple in their thoughts that they need to be coddled and babied else their fragile egos send them into fits of rage upon being told "no". Got it.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN

Really? LOL. I highly doubt the veracity of your tale.

IC 7.1-5-7-10
    Minors in taverns prohibited
    Sec. 10. (a) It is a Class C misdemeanor for a minor to recklessly be in a tavern, bar, or other public place where alcoholic beverages are sold, bartered, exchanged, given away, provided, or furnished. In addition to other penalties under this subsection, the minor's driver's license shall be suspended for up to one (1) year in accordance with IC 9-24-18-8 and IC 9-30-4-9.
    (b) It is a Class C misdemeanor for a permittee to recklessly permit a minor to be in the prohibited place beyond a reasonable time in which an ordinary prudent person can check identification to confirm the age of a patron.

IC 7.1-5-7-16
    Inspections
    Sec. 16. The commission shall conduct random unannounced inspections at locations where alcoholic beverages are sold or distributed to ensure compliance with this title. Only the commission, an Indiana law enforcement agency, the office of the sheriff of a county, or an organized police department of a municipal corporation may conduct the random unannounced inspections. These entities may use retired or off duty law enforcement officers to conduct inspections under this section.

I would bet that "ensuring compliance with this title" includes making sure there are no minors in the facility, and the only way to do that is to check IDs.

Indiana Code 7.1-5-7

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I've wondered this myself...I've been in a bar a few times when Ronnie McDonald has came in and asked for IDs. All three times that I've seen him, I wasn't drunk, so I planned on raising a reasonable amount of hell about it, but all three times he's walked right past our group of friends.

I definitely would like to ask him if he remembers chasing me through the woods one winter night after I had walked out the back door of a party in high school, locked eyes with him and it was off to the races...His fat ass probably lasted about 100 yards, but gave up because I was at least 50 yards ahead of him by that point.:):

Hmm, E5RANGER375 seems to have a good point.

:faint:

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    What has changed since prohibition has ended?

It seems to me law enforcers simply took over the operation made lucrative by the mob. The 3 tier system, ABC states, raids on bars....

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009

Also...Really you did that, I need proof, not just saying you did that, because I've seen Indiana Excise and the ISP division walk in a do a litmus test for alcohol content for a whole lot less that that, rule #1 don't tick them off for no reason, you will pay the price.

IC please for farting cross way wrong.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I've wondered this myself...I've been in a bar a few times when Ronnie McDonald has came in and asked for IDs. All three times that I've seen him, I wasn't drunk, so I planned on raising a reasonable amount of hell about it, but all three times he's walked right past our group of friends.

I definitely would like to ask him if he remembers chasing me through the woods one winter night after I had walked out the back door of a party in high school, locked eyes with him and it was off to the races...His fat ass probably lasted about 100 yards, but gave up because I was at least 50 yards ahead of him by that point.:):

:faint:
    That prick popped me for PI when I was twenty

Bigdee06

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Warrick Co.

If he remembers you he might remember me as well. Mine was him screaming at me to unlock the gate that I had just pulled shut at a friends place so he could drive his cruiser instead of walking 100' to write everyone tickects. By the time his rather large backside made it over the gate everyone else was in the woods watching him write down license plates and complaining to the deputies about all of us in the woods. I guess with a name and physique like that he had to be a LEO just to get a little payback for his high school days.:laugh:

I tried to rep you for making Fat Ron run but i'm out.

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend
    I hate to say this, but being in a bar that state law requires you to be 21 to enter and alcohol is being served (even if you havent drank) then I'm gonna say YES, they have PC to ask for your ID to make sure your 21. i have had it happen to me before and I gave my ID and would do it again. checking ID's in bars isnt dirty police work in my opinion. the cops probly hate it as much as the patrons. lets use common sense here .... if the law REQUIRES the establishment to ID you then dont you think the cops can legally do it to? I do. and I'd rather show my ID to a cop, then bubba the bar tender

HOLY SMOKES! I agree too! and you didn't have to threaten to shoot or kick anyone in the face...well done!:laugh:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Are you even required by law to have some kind of ID on your person anyway?
    Besides if you carry a handgun or drive a car where you would need to have your licence with you, do you have to carry ID?

Top Bottom