• ...and so much more!
  • MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    So . . . other than the delicious, but potentially life endangering fair food, what is the allure of the fair if you don't have kids to entertain and you do not participate in 4-H competitions?

To me, big crowd = no bueno, regardless of their efforts to stymie carrying tools you might need.

In my case, it is only because the Mrs. likes to go. I do enjoy a bite or two or fifty of the delicious but not really all the good for you food, but, if given a choice, I could never go back and that would be fine.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    In my case, it is only because the Mrs. likes to go. I do enjoy a bite or two or fifty of the delicious but not really all the good for you food, but, if given a choice, I could never go back and that would be fine.

I am lucky that I have no one forcing me to go!

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    So . . . other than the delicious, but potentially life endangering fair food, what is the allure of the fair if you don't have kids to entertain and you do not participate in 4-H competitions?

To me, big crowd = no bueno, regardless of their efforts to stymie carrying tools you might need.

I'm with Rhino. More than about 20-30 people in one place with no direction, other than there own unpredictable whims and emotions, makes me itchy.

The general inability of some in such situations to remain polite, angers me. So I don't go.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana

We got to see Percherons and Clydesdales and their associated 6-horse hitches/wagons the other day. At the end of the competition, there were 102 draft horses in the arena. Around 2200lbs / animal. Pretty incredible.

And then there's the people watching. That can be pretty incredible, too.

That said - I NEVER went when I was single. But since I've been married - we go 2-3x a year. My wife grew up a 4-H'er and spent a great deal of time at the State Fair as a youngster.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011

For us, kids competing in non-4H things have kept us regular attendees for the last decade.

If it weren't for that, we probably wouldn't go.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I have gone to the State Fair several times in the last decade. I try to go when my kids have projects that make it to State, but we did not make it this year. I wouldn't go if the kids weren't so darned talented.

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    They had a metal detector @ the NW entrance, too. Wife & I just went to another entrance w/o one. Been going to the State Fair for 50 years, been carrying since I was 18.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.

County fair for us. Deep fried Oreo's , look for deals on tractors, visit the exhibits of people's kids we know or are related to. No metal detectors and the whole thing is in a pretty decent neighborhood anyway.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I am pretty sure I have read articles where carrying at the fair just gets you a friendly reminder to leave.

If by "friendly reminder" you mean having your gun confiscated on sight, perp walked (or driven in a golf cart) by ISP to your car and having your firearm unloaded and placed in the trunk and told to leave and not come back, you are correct.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Ever seen a morbidly obese woman ride a mechanical bull for 1.58 seconds?

I have.

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    Go every year and have for a long time. My wife and I were both in 4-h and my daughter is as well. I love seeing the 4-h projects, the dnr area, pioneer area, eat at the pork producers tent, get a milk shake from the dairy barn. We will keep going. Miss the fair train though.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    If by "friendly reminder" you mean having your gun confiscated on sight, perp walked (or driven in a golf cart) by ISP to your car and having your firearm unloaded and placed in the trunk and told to leave and not come back, you are correct.

Sounds like a good time to me. I've been practicing my parade wave for these occurrences.

Top Bottom