• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    And whoever is threatening you backs off. What do you do from there?

Let's say in this instance you're in a public place. Do you call the cops? Reholster and leave?

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Always always always make sure you call if at all possible...however if i have enough reason to draw i have enough reason to shoot. its not a deterrent its a weapon

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    Put distance between you and the threat and let the authorities take over. Of course they'll probably arrest you for "brandishing".

If they don't witness you "brandishing" , I doubt you would be arrested for it.

I would report the encounter and tell them you feared for your life. If it escalates, shut your bacon hole and call an attorney.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    If it is serious enough to almost kill someone, it is serious enough to "make a report". The crime that precipitated this whole thing didn't suddenly "disappear" just because the immediate threat has passed.

Call 911, and be a good witness.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Sit back down and finish eating. I dont call 911.

I hope you just forgot the purple on this one. That's a pretty irresponsible answer if you are serious.

I'd at least call to let police to let them know about whatever crime that just transpired that was serious enough to force me to draw. I also agree with the answer above. If I'm drawing my firearm in public I'm shooting. I'm not a cop. I don't yell freeze, and I don't carry handcuffs.

Alphamale

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I hope you just forgot the purple on this one. That's a pretty irresponsible answer if you are serious.

I'd at least call to let police to let them know about whatever crime that just transpired that was serious enough to force me to draw. I also agree with the answer above. If I'm drawing my firearm in public I'm shooting. I'm not a cop. I don't yell freeze, and I don't carry handcuffs.

Purple text is for suckers.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    And whoever is threatening you backs off. What do you do from there?

Let's say in this instance you're in a public place. Do you call the cops? Reholster and leave?
    I had this happen once at a gas station on the west side of town. The attacker immediately ceased all hostile movement and slowly backed away. I retreated back inside the gas station, had the clerk lock the door remotely, and then reholstered. I called IMPD and told them what had happened. When they showed up I gave them a license plate number from the car the guy retreated in. That was it.

If there's no threat, there's no reason to have the gun out of it's holster. If the person you drew down on is backing off then you should reassess the situation and get yourself to a safer location then call the police. What you should do changes if the threat is using a gun or a knife. A firearm is deadly from 20 yards away. A knife, probably not unless you're a world class knife thrower.

Last edited:

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I had this happen once at a gas station on the west side of town. The attacker immediately ceased all hostile movement and slowly backed away. I retreated back inside the gas station, had the clerk lock the door remotely, and then reholstered. I called IMPD and told them what had happened. When they showed up I gave them a license plate number from the car the guy retreated in. That was it.

If there's no threat, there's no reason to have the gun out of it's holster. If the person you drew down on is backing off then you should reassess the situation and get yourself to a safer location then call the police. What you should do changes if the threat is using a gun or a knife. A firearm is deadly from 20 yards away. A knife, probably not unless you're a world class knife thrower.

a knife from 20 yards is deadly if you are holstered.....

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Always always always make sure you call if at all possible...however if i have enough reason to draw i have enough reason to shoot. its not a deterrent its a weapon

Things change rapidly. I've been there, taking the slack out of the trigger when the situation changed to a no shoot.

I'd report it. If they tried to victimize you and didn't get what they wanted, they'll try again. Last year we had an unsuccessful parking lot robbery where the same suspects committed a murder and attempted a second murder within the week. Sometimes reporting helps, sometimes it just gives more info, but it can put the local constabulary on alert and may head off something before it gets worse.

Indiana Camper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Westfield
    I agree with most above. If its serious enough to draw its serious enough to report. Especially if the other person is reporting it in a different way. I think most officers tend to give a little more credit to the person who calls right away.
    And there certainly can be times where the weapon is drawn and not fired. I bet the same people saying otherwise are the ones that say they shoot to kill instead of shooting until the threat stops.....good luck with that in court.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    If they don't witness you "brandishing" , I doubt you would be arrested for it.

I would report the encounter and tell them you feared for your life. If it escalates, shut your bacon hole and call an attorney.

In Indiana there is no such thing as "brandishing." Pointing a Firearm or Intimidation could be applicable statutes.

Guess I shoulda used my purple powers.

Top Bottom