• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aka-kesler

Plinker
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    My wife and I attended the 1500 yesterday. I have been many times in past years. On the other hand... this was the first time my better half has been there. My experience was quite different than hers. I am used to the crowd and the general flow and ebb of crowded isles. Alot of people in a crowd is bothersome at times, but patience is a virtue!!!
    As for my wife.. she found that some were quite impatient, and bullish, if not down right rude. Many times through the day she was pushed, elbowed, and just muscled out of the way when trying to view things she was interested in. And some were apologetic about bumps or missed steps...Most were not. We as a scociety have possibly become hardened to this behaviour. But some have not. Just wondering if any others experienced the same vibe while trying to enjoy a day of shopping with like minded people??? :soapbox:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Wasn't at the 1500 but over at Bargersville this morning. I was standing at a table looking at some cool "junk", well out of the way of the flow of traffic when a large group of spanish speaking foreigners approached. One "lady" gave me a pretty good body check that almost knocked me over the table I was standing in front of. I looked at her and said excuse me. I don't speak mexinese but I do understand the tone of voice and no doubt she called me everything but a white boy. After her tirade burned out I explained what she could do to herself. Understandably the tirade regenerated with help from her two large female companions. I just walked away laughing.

I used to consider myself a tolerant person. I'm an army brat and as a youngster up into my late teens have lived all over the country and world and grew up with about every ethnic population there is but as I grow older I become less tolerant of *******s from anywhere and particularly foreigners that are probably not in the country legally anyway.

My solution is that I stay out of crowded environments. Sorry to sidetrack the OP but it is of a similar nature.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Wasn't at the 1500 but over at Bargersville this morning. I was standing at a table looking at some cool "junk", well out of the way of the flow of traffic when a large group of spanish speaking foreigners approached. One "lady" gave me a pretty good body check that almost knocked me over the table I was standing in front of. I looked at her and said excuse me. I don't speak mexinese but I do understand the tone of voice and no doubt she called me everything but a white boy. After her tirade burned out I explained what she could do to herself. Understandably the tirade regenerated with help from her two large female companions. I just walked away laughing.

I used to consider myself a tolerant person. I'm an army brat and as a youngster up into my late teens have lived all over the country and world and grew up with about every ethnic population there is but as I grow older I become less tolerant of *******s from anywhere and particularly foreigners that are probably not in the country legally anyway.

My solution is that I stay out of crowded environments. Sorry to sidetrack the OP but it is of a similar nature.

I can understand. With age, I find myself beciming more patient with youth and need for refinement in life, and with little patience for rudeness, stupidity, and others' attempts at shoving their way through my life, even briefly.

Wysko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    Indy, West Side.
    I hate crowds for just that reason. The pushers/shovers, the dips that hit passers by with the barrle of his slung shotgun, and worst of all the BO guy (one at every show). Have ran int a few rude & snotty venders as well. On the positve side we have met a few gun guys who have been very informative and fun to talk guns with. Its an adventure in firearms and people watching.

Mike

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    I didn't get to this 1500. Sucks being broke. In the past I have found most of the crowds at the 1500 more considerate than any other crowd I have ever been in. Except the BO guy I always get stuck near. And the Two young punks I saw walk past the line, Ticket office and the PD yelling at them to check their OC'd firearms. "You mean we have to pay to get in?" Major group head shake.

With that said I do try to avoid crowds except at the 1500 and Eric Clapton concerts

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I agree with the tone of the this thread so far. I stopped going to the 1500 years ago. I have attempted to try it again in recent years and found it to be a less hospitable environment than before.

I had not reflected on it before but I also feel more tolerant towards the young and very much less tolerant of the behavior fostered by our society currently.

I didn't get to this 1500. Sucks being broke. In the past I have found most of the crowds at the 1500 more considerate than any other crowd I have ever been in. Except the BO guy I always get stuck near. And the Two young punks I saw walk past the line, Ticket office and the PD yelling at them to check their OC'd firearms. "You mean we have to pay to get in?" Major group head shake.

With that said I do try to avoid crowds except at the 1500 and Eric Clapton concerts

Rocket I know you meant that as a positive comment about the 1500 crowds. But its acually a very sad commentary on our society in general. For, and this is just my opinion, the gun community does nothing to enhance its reputation by the conduct of the crowds at the 1500.

aka-kesler

Plinker
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    I agree with the tone of the this thread so far. I stopped going to the 1500 years ago. I have attempted to try it again in recent years and found it to be a less hospitable environment than before.

I had not reflected on it before but I also feel more tolerant towards the young and very much less tolerant of the behavior fostered by our society currently.

Rocket I know you meant that as a positive comment about the 1500 crowds. But its acually a very sad commentary on our society in general. For, and this is just my opinion, the gun community does nothing to enhance its reputation by the conduct of the crowds at the 1500.
    I do have to agree.. we as gun enthusiasts should maybe hold ourselves to a better standard of conduct amongst our own.. just my opinion..(:twocents:)

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    My wife and I attended the 1500 yesterday. I have been many times in past years. On the other hand... this was the first time my better half has been there. My experience was quite different than hers. I am used to the crowd and the general flow and ebb of crowded isles. Alot of people in a crowd is bothersome at times, but patience is a virtue!!!
    As for my wife.. she found that some were quite impatient, and bullish, if not down right rude. Many times through the day she was pushed, elbowed, and just muscled out of the way when trying to view things she was interested in. And some were apologetic about bumps or missed steps...Most were not. We as a scociety have possibly become hardened to this behaviour. But some have not. Just wondering if any others experienced the same vibe while trying to enjoy a day of shopping with like minded people??? :soapbox:

I've never been to the 1500 but I've ran into this at many smaller shows that are packed into places too small for the number of vendors. It seems that 75% of attendees don't shower for at least a week before the event, eat roadkill and forget how to wipe, stop brushing their teeth, and have no problem stepping on your feet/elbowing you/coughing on you/whatever.

I don't think anyone that knows me would consider me an especially polite or overly (fake) friendly person but I'll do my best not to be purposely rude or completely ignorant of my rudeness at an event that is cram packed.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    I hate crowds for just that reason.

I think it's a Darwinian thing. My guess is that most of those "rude" people would be polite in one-on-one interactions, but put them in a crowd, especially a crowd looking for a bargain and it becomes look out for numero uno time.

When I was a kid I went to a borderline mega church and it was crazy in that parking lot after we all got done worshiping together.

Large crowds make people do silly things.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I enjoyed the 1500 when I was paying for a table. Sitting in a protected position watching the finest society has to offer step-drag by me drooling and picking their noses was cheap entertainment (not including everyone in this group obviously). I enjoy making the rounds and saying hello to friends but I won't go unless I have a specific reason to these days for all of the reasons listed previously in this thread.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I didn't see anybody being overly rude, just the ones who decided to chat it up with old friends right in the middle of the aisle. It's obviously very tight, please take your conversation elsewhere so I can get by the BO clouds and crop dusters.

Top Bottom