• ...and so much more!
  • BC9

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    Fishers
    Is it better to store my guns in a sock or not in a sock? One of my pistols came with a padded nylon case and a sock. I bought a padded nylon case for a rifle and a tag on that case says not to use it for storing the gun, just for transport. The guns are kept in my home, so they are in a reasonably well controlled environment and humidity shouldn't be a problem.

So, is it better to store them in a sock, or should I spend the money on more ammo?

Thanx

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Personal preference

I have found that there less unexplained "dings" when stored in a sock even in my safe. $5 for a treated sock on a $500-$1000+ gun is cheap insurance to me.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Foam caution

Do not leave a gun in direct contact with the foam. Have seen it attach itself to gun finish or worse yet if it happens to draw any moisture, it will rust.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I've known friends that would "pack" a sock.
    I never understood the need for this. I mean really - who are they trying to impress? They are only attracting girls who are just as shallow and as superficial as they are. Like they aren't eventually going to find out the truth anyway. I would hate to have-to explain that one. :dunno:

My Guns are Naked without one!

Bore-Stores

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    My dad kept his FN Browning shotgun in the case with foam, and it hadn't been out in 30 or so years. By the time I got to it, there was a lot of snot to cut through. It wasn't that hard, and didn't damage anything, just detail work. Just not something you like to see.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I stored a nice new O/U shotgun in a plastic case with eggcrate patterned foam. It was only about 2 months. The blued barrels took up pattern of visable shadow scallops thew same pattern of the foam. Man was I upset. Any oil on the barrel will react with the foam and leave stains.

I have a treated sock on every other long gun in my safe. It helps avoid scratching the stocks when I load the rifles in and out of the safe. I have found no deterioration of stock or barrel bluing using this method.

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    I've found that the cheap China made cases that sell for 10 for $28 work well. I pick up a 10 pack at the Evansville gun shows.The same vendor also charges the same for the pistol cases.
    What I have found to avoid is them old school cases that have a outside vinyl liner and inner fake wool liner. Those will rust up your guns if left unattended for a while.

Mike.B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Grant County
    A safe is just not going to happen for space reasons in my house. Since I have a 6yr old a locking case is a must. Is there anything I can put between the foam and rifle?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Mike, Put your gun in a treated sock and put a very dry towel (straight from a hot dryer) between the foam and the socked gun. That should help dampen chemical reactions and moisture. Keep the firearm wiped down with oil and check it once and awhile. Good Luck

Last edited:

kolob10

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Beautiful Southern Indiana
    Socks are great in a safe as they prevent dings and scrapes. If I store any firearm in a sock ,case, or other confined area, I place a small desicant pack in for insurance. I change the packs periodically for long term storage. They can be recharged by placing in the oven on very low temp. I had a shooting buddy put his prize deer gun in a foam lined case after a weekend of hunting and a cloth wipe down only to find it the next weekend with a nice dusting of rust all over. An ounce of prevention...........

Mike.B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Grant County
    Mike, Put your gun in a treated sock and put a very dry towel (straight from a hot dryer) between the foam and the socked gun. That should help dampen chemical reactions and moisture. Keep the firearm wiped down with oil and check it once and awhile. Good Luck

Could I just remove the foam and store inside the sock in the case?

Top Bottom