Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Hello,

I was loading some softpoints up for the Russian Peasant Rifle and got to thinking: Why are there softpoints and hollowpoints both? What does one do that the other cannot? A good hollowpoint seems like it would be inherently more stable and aerodynamic; why do we still have softpoints?

Thanks,

Josh

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Because people buy them.

And because their performance on the target is different. The softpoint generally penetrates deeper and holds the bullet together.

HPs are generally more explosive at higher velocities.

If I was to shoot a deer with a .223, I would choose a softpoint, not a hollowpoint.

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Because people buy them.

And because their performance on the target is different. The softpoint generally penetrates deeper and holds the bullet together.

HPs are generally more explosive at higher velocities.

If I was to shoot a deer with a .223, I would choose a softpoint, not a hollowpoint.

Listen to dom1104 he won't steer you wrong

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    High BC cup & core rifle bullets are typically considered open tip rather than hollow point, mainly because the hole in the end is incident to the jacketing process rather than purposely added to improve expansion. You see some of the most recent designs filling that open tip with a pointed insert, because that can improve BC slightly. Not high BC but compare Barnes TSX with TTSX. Essentially the same profiles in open versus tipped, with tipped having better BC.

The overall construction of the bullet has a greater impact on performance against meat and bone than just the condition of the tip. Plenty of hollow pointed bullets shot into animals have shown me subpar results. The above TTSXs never have.

When I've shot deer with .224" bullets I've chosen good ones rather than worried over the specifics of their business ends.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Thanks folks.

How about, say, a Hornady expanding hollowpoint in .30 caliber versus a Hornady softpoint in .30 caliber? Say, .30-06?

Wouldn't the nose of the softpoint be more easily deformed and lead to a loss of accuracy?

Thanks,

Josh

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Thanks folks.

How about, say, a Hornady expanding hollowpoint in .30 caliber versus a Hornady softpoint in .30 caliber? Say, .30-06?

Wouldn't the nose of the softpoint be more easily deformed and lead to a loss of accuracy?

Thanks,

Josh

I can say that a 30-06 hollow point will stop a deer in its tracks, and leave no trace of its heart afterwards. :cool:

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Gents, if you had to choose between the two, what would you choose and why?

Thanks!

Josh

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Gents, if you had to choose between the two, what would you choose and why?

Thanks!

Josh

Top Bottom