• Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Gentlemen (and I use that term loosely-haha!),

I purchased a SOG Recon Bowie today online (pics below) and was wondering, other than the "Cool, it is styled after a Vietnam-era knife" sort of mojo that goes along with such a knife, what will this sort of knife excel at? What was it primarily designed for? Fighting? Field work? Chow hall? (LOL!)

zx9ms0.jpg

2rzv4tw.jpg

f9dv7s.jpg

zmm8o5.jpg

It has a gun blued 7" blade with a brass hilt and a stacked and epoxied leather handle. The top of the blade has a false edge, so batoning wood with it is out. What would a soldier have used such a knife for out in the field (besides staring at it and killing enemy sentries when he ran out of bullets- again, probably a fantasy rather than reality)?

Also, wondering if one of the 7" Randall sheaths that are sold on Ebay would fit such a knife. Seems like it would, so I may give that a go as I have heard the leather sheaths that come with SOG knives are often lacking.

Also, since these are no longer made, should I put the knife through its paces, or keep it pristine for a resale in the future? I would like to use the knife, but am wondering where this knife would be useful?

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Vanguard.45

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Personally I put that in the realm of collecting (this is a knife from the era where SOG still made good knives) I would leave it sit in the box until you either find a buyer or keep it in your collection. That being said it would not be a bad knife to hang off LBE is stacked leather is your thing.

Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Copy that.

Seems like the blade shape is more of a fighting style rather than a field work/ camp knife style!

Any uses other than as a defensive blade?

Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    En route, Brad (just kidding)!

Thanks for the input, grunt! Will probably just enjoy having it on the belt and see if I can find some uses for her!

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    my dad bought a sog agency
    SOG Knives Collectors - Agency

the best use for it is to p*** me off!, its beautiful, its a nice knife, that i didnt have the funds for, so all he does with it is to sick it under my nose and say, "i think i paid too much for it!"

but be careful with the sheath, the leather dried out and i popped the snap off the sheath,

not really a good use other than collecting and one upping your friends

Streck-Fu

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Noblesville
    I have the Super SOG Bowie and, while it is a very nice functional knife, I find myself using my SEAL Pup Elite far more often. It's lighter and easier to use for most tasks. The Bowie would be great for larger and heavier task like chopping but I have have not used it for that so far.

Top Bottom