SOG Seal Pup Elite as a survival knife??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cesna250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 12, 2012
    Warsaw
    imagepng

I going out in some heavy terrain out west for a few days and was wondering if this would do as a survival knife? I'd like to know your thoughts if you know anything about this blade

dibdee83

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2015
    indiana
    Ive had a SOG seal pup AUS6 for 10 years now and though it looks terrible its still my go to knife. It not the knife for serious heavy duty type tasks but it fits my needs and my budget at the time. Im no knife expert and haven't been up on knives in the last couple years so at the price point there may be a better value out there.

cesna250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 12, 2012
    Warsaw
    What are your intended uses for the knife and what is your budget?
    i'd say budget would be $80. I'd like something to carry on the back of my belt. Probably not going to do a ton of abuse to it, I have a hatchet for that. Something not real heavy and at least a 4 inch blade. I'm also thinking about a cold steel SRK.

NoAdmiration

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Jeffersonville
    I have many big, heavy work knives for backpacking... I carry a Glock model 81. It wont hack well but if you need to baton firewood and such it's just fine and the wight savings is invaluable. Best of all, it's cheap so if you do end up losing or breaking it you wont really mind so much.

The Glock knife and a well made pocket saw takes care of most of my fire making needs.

RAMBOCAT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    ESEE 4, 5, OR 6 read their warranty before you look further. If you can't hack the price of an ESEE, take a look at the new SCHRADE survival/tactical line up.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'd tend to agree that the extra $20 or $30 for the budget spent on an Esee would buy you a bomb proof knife. Check ebay for a used one and you may get lucky. With a hatchet, I assume you're not going to be battoning, since it's out west in heavy terrain I'm going to assume that you're probably not going to be scraping sparks off a ferro rod for your primary source of fire. The Sog seal pup is a nice knife and I've owned one, but it was always more of a looks cool kind of knife to me than a looks like it'll take a lot of use kind of knife. Some guys love them and others not so much. I never had a problem with mine, but I never did much more than cut rope with it either.

With those criteria out of the way, I'd be thinking lightweight or something smaller. I'll be out west next week and I'm taking an esee izula II, but I'm not doing anything hardcore either though. Personally I prefer a full tang, but I really like my "Mora light my fire" knife. It's not full tang, but it's light weight, sharp as a razor and has a ferro rod in the handle. It's a double backup for $30 and hard to beat for a lightweight option.

If you wanted a full tang knife which is my preference take a look at the Condor knives. I personally really like my condor kephart. I've battoned, struck ferro rods, and made feather sticks with it. They've got plenty to pick from that will last as long as you take care of them for $40 or less delivered. Nothing flashy, but they're work just fine.

Just throwing out options for you.

Top Bottom