• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I've been looking into this and been reading a book called Solar Power for Dummies (something to that effect). Everything I have to say is based on text book research, not real use. I'm on the same journey as you and trying to figure this all out. It seems if you want to maintain the "grid lifestyle", for powering normal appliances they seem decidedly lacking. For interior lighting, I have my doubts beyond LED or something to that effect. You need like a 2' by 4' panel to run one 45 watt bulb. However, I did some research and found that for almost every major appliance (except for washing machines, I think) there is a solar version that operates on a much higher efficiency and comes with it's own solar panels to boot. They're not cheap but they're darned interesting.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    Whats the diff.between a Solar powered system and a solar generator?

The solar generator is the just the power source and consists of the photovoltaic (PV) panels, battery bank and sometimes an inverter (if the application is AC voltage). A solar powered system is the totality of the components including the power source and attached loads.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    For some reason, when you mentioned "solar generator" the first thing I thought of was a sterling engine.

I read about these a couple of years ago:
    SES :: How SunCatcher Technology Works

Their site shows a 25KW generator. I know I read about smaller-scale collectors/generators (5KW or so) somewhere as well. They have HUGE (multiple Mega-Watt) installations all over the world.

You can buy anything from hobby-sized (a few watts) to fairly large. There are kits and plans all over the Internet as well.

Still needs batteries for nighttime and cloudy days, though....

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    For some reason, when you mentioned "solar generator" the first thing I thought of was a sterling engine.

I read about these a couple of years ago:
    SES :: How SunCatcher Technology Works

Their site shows a 25KW generator. I know I read about smaller-scale collectors/generators (5KW or so) somewhere as well. They have HUGE (multiple Mega-Watt) installations all over the world.

You can buy anything from hobby-sized (a few watts) to fairly large. There are kits and plans all over the Internet as well.

Still needs batteries for nighttime and cloudy days, though....

It is still not a true solar generator because there is an intermediate power conversion taking heat to spin a mechanical device to create electrical energy.

A PV panel takes photons of light and converts them directly to electricity. So even on a cloudy day, while not at maximum capacity, it will still produce power.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    It is still not a true solar generator because there is an intermediate power conversion taking heat to spin a mechanical device to create electrical energy.

A PV panel takes photons of light and converts them directly to electricity. So even on a cloudy day, while not at maximum capacity, it will still produce power.
    I hear ya'. I've just never heard PVs or solar panels called "generators". I've usually associated a generator with turning mechanical energy into electricity. Pv's aren't really mechanical, unless you want to start talking quantum mechanics :D

I guess sticking the word "generator" in there is for the average Joe. Easier than saying "solar cell, battery, and inverter".

I keep seeing the 45W panels on sale at Harbor Freight. I wonder if they are worth the $, from a hobbyist point of view?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I hear ya'. I've just never heard PVs or solar panels called "generators". I've usually associated a generator with turning mechanical energy into electricity. Pv's aren't really mechanical, unless you want to start talking quantum mechanics :D

I guess sticking the word "generator" in there is for the average Joe. Easier than saying "solar cell, battery, and inverter".

I keep seeing the 45W panels on sale at Harbor Freight. I wonder if they are worth the $, from a hobbyist point of view?

"Solar Generator" is not a term used widely within the solar energy communities or industry. Most of us refer to it as a system. There's a few places that are packaging small systems as standalone and usually portable and calling them "generators", but that's marketing, and not widely used. They are also usually wildly overpriced.

Top Bottom