• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    I was given a small solar panel. It powered a light before the light was destroyed. I hooked the panel up to my volt meter and shoved in the 5 o clock sun a couple of months ago and it put out 23 volts.

I think it would be perfect for powering a motion lamp, an interior lamp and possibly a fan in our chicken coop. The only problem is I have no idea how to get the power from the panel "turned down" to be usable with standard lighting and electrical components. If anyone here is good wit hthis stuff please let me know... all I need is a rough drawing and some explanation and I can do the work.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    shibumiseeker is the one you're looking for, he lives off grid on a combination of solar and generator.

But in the meantime I'll try to help. I think what you're going to want is an inverter. But instead of a 12V to 120 VAC inverter you want a 24V to 120 VAC inverter.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    23 volts is just what is called the "open circuit" voltage. You'll notice if you place a load across the panel the voltage drops considerably. If it's a smaller panel, you can hook it to a 12v battery directly. If it's a larger panel (3-4 square feet or bigger) you will need a charge controller between the panel and the battery.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    A 12 volt fan on your coup would be pretty easy. Might not even need a battery. As the sun starts to hit the coup and solar panel, the fan will start to turn. The more sun, the faster the fan. Just what you need on a hot and sunny day. Just find a little fan with a real small current (amp) draw, so the solar cell can actually power it. Maybe an old computer fan (I think those are those 12v)?

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    Thanks for the help guys, anything else you can point me to would be great. I think I may wire the cell to two car batteries in series and then use them to power the stuff.

Top Bottom