• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clarity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2012
    If you are on a well, have you considered having a dc pump and some solar panels on hand in the event of an extended power outage? Another thread here is talking about cyberattacks on the grid. With risk of EMP, coronal mass ejection, solar flares and cyber attacks, it seems like a dc pump and solar panels might be a good investment. With any of these disasters, gas service would almost definitely cease. I know you can rig up a section of PVC pipe to make a "well bucket", and there are certainly hand pump options also, but a dc pump and solar panels would be the lap of luxury compared to those options if power were out for an extended period of time.

If you have considered it, what have you looked at?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Ive been meaning to really look into these. the price point isnt too bad, and there is lots of computerized monitoring/integration in the system to monitor the performance.

https://www.ubnt.com/sunmax/sunmax/

My distributor sells the 260w panels for $203. The beauty of the system is it is plug and play. you calculate how much power you need, buy the panels, mount them, plug them up and then have an electrician tie them into your system.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've looked at solar stuff, if I decide to get into it I'll call Shib, he's an expert.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    Ive been meaning to really look into these. the price point isnt too bad, and there is lots of computerized monitoring/integration in the system to monitor the performance.

https://www.ubnt.com/sunmax/sunmax/

My distributor sells the 260w panels for $203. The beauty of the system is it is plug and play. you calculate how much power you need, buy the panels, mount them, plug them up and then have an electrician tie them into your system.

There's obviously a touch more to it than that, though it depends on what you are wanting to do with it.

If you are trying to tie the system to the grid, the inverters will shut down when the grid goes down. Actually it's a requirement. If you want to use them off grid, you will benefit from some sort of storage cells, which add to the cost of purchase and maintenance.

BTW that 260w is on a perfect day, perpendicular to the sun, with the rated 1Kw/square meter of radiation hitting it. Unless you use a tracking system, that never happens. The solution is to add more panels to make up the difference.

It goes on and on.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I put in a Aeromotor windmill to pump reliable water for the livestock, if power goes down, alittle wind and aqua forever..

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    That's great,, but when the Apocalypse happens, how long do you think you will have pressurized Natural Gas ???

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Well that depends on how long the NG wellhead out in my forest keeps spewing gas I guess.

Hahahahaha... Ok... Good answer ...
    Can you redevolop the well if it takes on water ???

And with the well on the property, how do you store gas ?

Clarity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2012
    Well that depends on how long the NG wellhead out in my forest keeps spewing gas I guess.

Nice feature, if you can get it. I have a generator, but am planning in the event the gas stops flowing.

I suppose if you have a windmill that it has a clutch or disconnect of some sort so that you only pump water when you wish (although my home isn't reliably windy). I'd still really like to hear from someone with a bit of experience and/or knowledge with the DC pumps.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I think the windmill would work better.

Pumps are big loads.
    Batteries are only good for so many years.
    Solar cells have a limited life.
    Etc.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    It has a trip out lever, and it will disengage itself in excessive wind..
    It would not be difficult to add a float switch to engage and disengage the pump.
    I just have it fill a 1000 ? Gallon Tank and the constant overflow tends to keep the tank clean.

Clarity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2012
    I think the windmill would work better.

Pumps are big loads.
    Batteries are only good for so many years.
    Solar cells have a limited life.
    Etc.

DC pumps are not a big load like AC well pumps.
    I'm not envisioning using batteries at all.
    Solar PV panels should have a 20-25 year life span.
    Depending on your situation, I think a DC pump would be cheaper and more reliable than a windmill.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    DC pumps are not a big load like AC well pumps.
    I'm not envisioning using batteries at all.
    Solar PV panels should have a 20-25 year life span.
    Depending on your situation, I think a DC pump would be cheaper and more reliable than a windmill.

I believe you are wrong sir.

Specs on one of the smallest Grundfos AC / DC pumps,
    Pump cost around 2 grand.
    Model Number: 3 SQF 2
    Helical rotor pump
    Supply Voltage: 30-300 VDC or 90-240 VAC at 50/60 Hz
    Maximum Gallons per Minute: 2.8 GPM
    Maximum Head: 395 ft.

2.8 gallons per min blows, for a small household its fine, of you need to water a garden it ain't enough..
    Add along go the pump cost, a control system, battery storage and wiring and inverter for other uses, the money ripps through the roof..
    I bought my windmill used, I took it down for well under a thousand bucks ( Crain costs mostly ) and the same again after I rebuilt the gearbox and pump and I'm well under 3 thou with a stocktank.
    I easily can tye it into my home and shop and add a few large blatter tanks and have pressure water from the mill. Easy peasy.
    Maintenance on the mill besides anything that gets broken ( unknown costs )
    Maybe 20 bucks in materials for gear oil replacement annually..

What's the ongoing never ending cost and time for a solar / wet battery / DC system for water ??
    Maintaining wet battery's along with the fire hazard that goes along with them is something I'm not big on...

Top Bottom