• ...and so much more!
  • Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Actually it is, but to do it right is expensive.
    In our part of the country, just putting panels on a roof will not be much benefit, active tracking will maximize your return.

The technology/efficiency of solar panels have come a LONG LONG way in the last 10-15 years. The newer high end panels can make almost as much electricity on a cloudy day as older style panels could on sunny days. BUT - they're expensive. And battery / storage tech still needs to catch WAY up to make it. I'd like to have a solar array on my house. I've got some GREAT south-facing zones that absolutely bake in the summer time. BUT - the initial cost of the panels...then the cost and maintenance of the battery bank... Makes it seem like way more trouble than it's worth since our electricity is fairly inexpensive where we live.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I looked into the Tesla roof and their online estimate was $90,000. But after only 30 years, it would only cost me about $7000. Almost did it.

Tesla roof is a gimmick IMHO. It's more expensive than solar panels & a roof combined. Why not just install normal solar panels (at a drastic cost savings) over your roof; the solar will help shield the roof and it will last longer.

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    Tesla roof is a gimmick IMHO. It's more expensive than solar panels & a roof combined. Why not just install normal solar panels (at a drastic cost savings) over your roof; the solar will help shield the roof and it will last longer.

HOA says no solar panels. We've got 7 more years before we move to our property down south so the 30 year savings didn't make sense for us and its unlikely the next owner of this house would see the value.

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    Not answer the phone? But then you don't get to hear the lovely robo-girls who want to talk about healthcare/credit card/I don't know what. I did almost get taken in by a robo-dude the other day that was a little more natural until the, "I didn't catch that," routine kicked in.

Makes it seem like way more trouble than it's worth since our electricity is fairly inexpensive where we live.

This. If you live in a tiered electricity state, it might make sense to keep you out of the top-tier expensive per kWH area. Between fewer high-sunlight days and cheaper electricity, it doesn't make sense to go that way around here, yet.

Top Bottom