• ...and so much more!
  • Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    How much power will a 100w panel actually produce in Indiana? Winter has the son at a very low angle, and roofs are cold. And often snow covered.

I would plan for 50% Efficiency compared to what the panel can do. A lot of losses in the system combined with crappy sun in Indiana

60% of the days in Indiana are cloudy. I do not know which season is more cloudy than any other season.

One good thing I DO know is that solar panel efficiency these days really outpaces those of 10-15 years ago. You can get almost as much energy production out of a new panel on a cloudy day as you usta'could on a panel on a sunny day. (But it's still "not much") if it takes an entire roof for 6k W

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    60% of the days in Indiana are cloudy. I do not know which season is more cloudy than any other season.

One good thing I DO know is that solar panel efficiency these days really outpaces those of 10-15 years ago. You can get almost as much energy production out of a new panel on a cloudy day as you usta'could on a panel on a sunny day. (But it's still "not much") if it takes an entire roof for 6k W

My point was that I’ll bet the 6000 W is what they are rated for, meaning what they can do best case scenario. It’s 6kw roof in Indiana AND Fl

dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    I would love something like this once the product has proven itself and the cost ends up reasonable. All this does is prepay way too much for your electricity.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The only way I'll ever do on premises power generation is with a system that I design, build and maintain myself.
    I won't put big bucks into a system that I'm a prisoner to somebody else to keep running.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Do you follow their stock? That is how I got involved with this company, by trading their stock. Part of them may be made in China but parts are manufactured in Northern Indiana. I am very skeptical. Just the cost, seems to me to be a tough sell. The way they are coming up with all them orders is fake as hell as well....they are taking guestimates and making them orders. I bet they have not sold 5% of what they claim they have. Seems so expensive compared to panels. As for DOW, they failed with 1.0 and 2.0 and divested to a company that knows solar. I am with you though, paint me a skeptic!

If you know this is how they do business, that would be enough for me to know (if I was you) that I don't want to do business with/for them.

Just curious, are they asking you to put up money to be an installer for them?

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Can you walk these roofs safely with out damage to the shingles/panels what ever they are called

You sure can. They are very strong and can take like a 4" steel ball being shot at them and 200 MPH wind.

If you know this is how they do business, that would be enough for me to know (if I was you) that I don't want to do business with/for them.

Just curious, are they asking you to put up money to be an installer for them?

No sir. No cash involved. As for the crookedness, that seems to be with every public company nowadays. Just how it is. They all cook the books.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    My point was that I’ll bet the 6000 W is what they are rated for, meaning what they can do best case scenario. It’s 6kw roof in Indiana AND Fl

I am not sure of efficiency here. I talked to a guy in R.I. who has it and he said it produces from zero on snow days to 40KW on sunny day. His ROI will take 6-7 years. But R.I. electric is 2-3 times the cost of Indiana and he used the panels instead of shingles...panels are over 1/2 the cost of shingles.

I may be wrong, but I think this stuff is a joke! California passed a law today where all new homes have to have solar power. Builders estimated it would add $10,000 to construction cost(panels) and return $500 a year for 30 years. That makes sense huh?

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I am not sure of efficiency here. I talked to a guy in R.I. who has it and he said it produces from zero on snow days to 40KW on sunny day. His ROI will take 6-7 years. But R.I. electric is 2-3 times the cost of Indiana and he used the panels instead of shingles...panels are over 1/2 the cost of shingles.

I may be wrong, but I think this stuff is a joke! California passed a law today where all new homes have to have solar power. Builders estimated it would add $10,000 to construction cost(panels) and return $500 a year for 30 years. That makes sense huh?
    This is why I asked if we're doing it because it is cost efficient or are we trying to save the environment by causing a different problem. Solar is not without downsides for the environment, but the impact is farther down the chain than our "dirty" coal/ng/nuclear electricity. After everyone has switched then they will attack the environmental side effects of a massive deployment of solar tech increasing costs all the way.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    In Indiana. And yes, I believe net metering is an option. I know they say if it produces more than you use, meter spins backwards and you are then credited for amount entering grid. Is that net metering?

They claim there is a 30% federal tax credit plus a state credit/rebate. I can see where this may take off in Geist where keeping up with the Jones' is priority and money has nothing to do with it, but I just don't know about average Joe's.

Tread carefully with ANY solar or wind project. Heard the other day that the tax credits expire within 2-3 years. I think they also said in the news report that net metering will last no longer than 10 years. After the tax credit expires, there will also be no net metering any longer. (unless you are grandfathered as part of the tax credit system)
    My understanding is that your excess electrons will continue to flow upstream, but you will no longer be compensated for it.

Do you follow their stock? That is how I got involved with this company, by trading their stock. Part of them may be made in China but parts are manufactured in Northern Indiana. I am very skeptical. Just the cost, seems to me to be a tough sell. The way they are coming up with all them orders is fake as hell as well....they are taking guestimates and making them orders. I bet they have not sold 5% of what they claim they have. Seems so expensive compared to panels. As for DOW, they failed with 1.0 and 2.0 and divested to a company that knows solar. I am with you though, paint me a skeptic!

Maybe. There was a company south of Columbus that got busted. They setup a small factory and claimed to be manufacturing cells down there. Turns out they were just importing and reboxing instead.

How much power will a 100w panel actually produce in Indiana? Winter has the son at a very low angle, and roofs are cold. And often snow covered.

I would plan for 50% Efficiency compared to what the panel can do. A lot of losses in the system combined with crappy sun in Indiana

You'd be surprised how well they work under snow. In cold weather the cells are more efficient, and a small layer of snow can actually help too.

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    I believe there is/was some legislation coming down the road that would eliminate net metering, in other words if your cells generated more than you used the power company was obligated to buy the excess power from you. If this is passed solar cells will cost the home owner significantly more money.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I think the net metering law is a safety issue. If a grid outage is detected, then it throws a switch to prevent feedback until the grid comes back up.

Top Bottom