• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    What did 5.56 sell for back in the 90's? (I have no idea - I didn't start getting into guns again until about 2010) Maybe we can work a trade? Or better yet... got any 6.5x53R Dutch? I'll trade you 3 to 1! :):

BKniK82.png

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    "Those were the days my friend.
    We thought they'd never end.
    We'd sing and dance, forever and a day.
    We'd live the life we choose
    We'd fight and never lose
    For we were young and sure to have our way!"

-- Mary Hopkins

I got ammo for the same prices, roughly, during the good years in like 2011 or there abouts.
    Even into 2012, arsenal AKs and veprs were in the $700 range.

There's been deals on ammo that came close to those values even during the trump era.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    In all my life. The best deal I ever got was at a garage sale. Ladies husband died and had reloading equipment I snagged most of. Asked her if she had anything else and she only had a box of misc .22lr.

That box had around 12.5k rounds in it. I gave her triple her asking price and took it all.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I got ammo for the same prices, roughly, during the good years in like 2011 or there abouts.
    Even into 2012, arsenal AKs and veprs were in the $700 range.

There's been deals on ammo that came close to those values even during the trump era.
    See, to me (being a cheap bastard), $700 for a gun seemed crazy back then (and still does, kinda :): ). I paid 800 for my M1 carbine not long after then, and that was when I thought they were at their peak. Can't touch one for that now. Think I only paid 695 for my CMP Service Grade Garand back then too.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    That's about what primers cost. Powder is also astronomical right now and the 45-70 guzzles it.

I don't buy that anyone is getting under 50 cents a round, even loading their own, in the current market.
    I don't need the current market. My lead is free. I'm set. I learned from the Obama travesty. I'll be loading at Trump prices for years.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I don't need the current market. My lead is free. I'm set. I learned from the Obama travesty. I'll be loading at Trump prices for years.

Then it's not very helpful information to someone wanting to add a 45-70 to their stable, is it?

I mean if we want to brag, I can do 357 magnum all day at 5ish cents per round riding off supplies I have laying around.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Then it's not very helpful information to someone wanting to add a 45-70 to their stable, is it?

I mean if we want to brag, I can do 357 magnum all day at 5ish cents per round riding off supplies I have laying around.
    If someone is close to me I can help them out on my press. And I do. Bragging? Nope.

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    O.k.
    Don't tell us what it is.
    Can you find components?

Would it be worth rolling your own?
    Probably. I do know a guy that reloads the round in question. I haven't really looked but I believe the components are out there.

I did another search earlier and found some Remington Core Lokt for $6 a shot. That's the highest I've seen.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    I tried a search for this and came up with nothing. I'm wondering if anyone has sold of a firearm lately (or in the past) due to a lack of ammo available? I'm pondering parting ways with one for this reason. I have found ammo for it but because of the current market I can't justify paying what people/businesses are wanting for it. Pre-pandemic it was sub $1.50 a round (hunting grade); now it's more than double if not triple and in some cases it is quadruple. I'm finding it difficult to spend the coin for this ammo for what it is. The best I've seen was a business in Texas had 200 rounds for $700. I don't know if I can bring myself to it. I really don't have a connection to this gun but at the same time I don't want to sell it. It boils down to it continues to take up space in the safe while I (we all) wait for a possible drop in ammo price (which will more than likely never happen) or I part ways with it and use that money to buy more ammo for a different one?
    I have a Jap 7.7. Okay, an Arisaka Type 99. Ammo was scarce in the the "good ol' days" and has now became unobtanium. I found a local gun store with a reloading room, and for a nominal price (buy stuff from them!) they let me use their press and dies to reload 79 rounds for the gun. Try that.

Top Bottom