• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I have been looking to upgrade to a nice flashlight for everyday carry. Currently, I only carry a small maglite LED and wanted to upgrade to something much sturdier as well as working for double duty in case you ever had to use it defensively. I have not take a flashlight combatives class but plan on it in the future. However, I want something now rather then waiting until I take the class which could be months away. I am pretty open to brands but want LED for sure and would like to stay under $150 for the total light setup.

Thanks for any input

Signal23

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Greenwood
    I have a streamlight protac HL, it is 600 lumens, super brite tight beam, take 123 batteries (just like my gun lights) and has a strobe and low feature.
    Has a pocket clip, it's all metal, sturdy, fits my hand well for a punch, has a sharp but not to sharp front end, tail cap button is covered so you wont hit is by accident

Got it for + - $60 shipped

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    I've been carrying a rechargeable Streamlight Strion (LED) for three years. I love it. Yes, it's a little big but it's completely worth it. Holds a charge like a beast.

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    What don't you like about your LED MagLite?

I carry the original version XL-50 (139 lumens), which takes 3 aaa batteries. Has 3 settings: Hi, Low and Strobe. It has never failed me and is bright.

MagLite has come out with a newer version XL-200 that's brighter (172 lumens).

-Rogue-

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Going the inexpensive route...

Inova X3 or X3r. May not have the lumens of the other ones, but it is built like a tank.

They claim a meter drop resistance.... I have dropped it off the side of a steel mill with only a small scratch.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    What don't you like about your LED MagLite?

I carry the original version XL-50 (139 lumens), which takes 3 aaa batteries. Has 3 settings: Hi, Low and Strobe. It has never failed me and is bright.

MagLite has come out with a newer version XL-200 that's brighter (172 lumens).

Its not that I dont like the maglite but rather I wantmore versatility then it offers

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne

I will 2nd this..

I just took the flashlight combatives today with Mindset Lab. Great course.

Too many lumens can cause you problems in confined / small areas due to reflection of the light.
    :+1: to both of these.

And you can get it shipped to your door for less than $150

I've carried this light daily for the last 6 years. Bright, compact, durable, and the end doubles as a blunt object & cookie cutter to the face:
    SureFire E2D LED Defender Compact Flashlight

And will probably also get confiscated in an airport or other non-permissive environments.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head

And will probably also get confiscated in an airport or other non-permissive environments.

That is something else I was thinking after taking Shay's restraints class as he brings up the non permissive environments issue a lot. An airport which I plan on using later this year hits that specifically.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I've carried a PD32 (Fenix) for a few months now. Really nice light. Four brightness levels, clip, nice thumb switch (momentary and click). I've carried it through TSA "security" a couple of times - including Washington National. No issues.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    That is something else I was thinking after taking Shay's restraints class as he brings up the non permissive environments issue a lot. An airport which I plan on using later this year hits that specifically.

If you want to use it for defense as well as lighting dark areas you should take Flashlight Combatives @ Mindset Labs.

There are loaner lights available for the class and you can get a better idea of what things you really want in an EDC light.

For example, lights that have momentary and constant on in the same switch (clicky tailcaps) are one feature I do not want in my EDC light. Chances are under stress you're going to click the switch and have constant on when not intending to do so.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana

I will 2nd this..

I just took the flashlight combatives today with Mindset Lab. Great course.

Too many lumens can cause you problems in confined / small areas due to reflection of the light.

This ^^^

I love mine. It's always in my pocket.

NiDanHeno

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    New Palestine, IN
    Not too long ago I picked up a Four Sevens Quark Tactical, I believe the upper end is 360 lumens which seems like more than enough. I think the price was some where in the $75 range. Solid contstruction and I like the interace as well, great size/weight and output for EDC IMO.

FOURSEVENS - foursevens.com

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The Fenix PD32 S2 and PD32 UE are excellent lights for carry. The UE has 740 lumens available and I believe the S2 model goes up to 330 lumens.

For those who are concerned about too much light, both have a an easily accessible switch to changing among multiple brightness modes and a strobe (I think they might have SOS, but I don't use it so I can't remember). For those worried about catastrophes caused by clicky switches, you can learn to manage them so unintential clicking is less likely.

They do not have an aggressive appearance. The PD32 UE is a bit longer, so won't ride in your pocket as well, but because of it's length it makes a better fist load to use as an impact weapon.

Yes, made in China. However, many of us have used the crap out of them and other Fenix lights including significant abuse and they continue to work well. They provide excellent service and are a great value.

I got my PD32 UE from The LED Warehouse, an INGO member and advertiser, who offers a discount to INGO members too.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County

I've flown to Mexico, Boston, Miami, Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Dallas, and probably a dozen other airports with it. Also carried my Benchmade pen and Specter Gear belt with a super heavy ass buckle without so much as a peep from TSA. Worse case scenario, you'll have to check it in your bag, or carry it to your car if your at a concert.

Top Bottom