• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Go with the .40 if you have to choose one or the other. It's a great round, but don't plan to find a lot of brass at the range for reloading, since most people shoot 9mm.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Go with the .40 if you have to choose one or the other. It's a great round, but don't plan to find a lot of brass at the range for reloading, since most people shoot 9mm.

Even with the wife having a 9mm? I am kinda with this guy..

Since your Wife has your old 9mm I would go with a 9mm also. Ammo interchangability etc. There is nothing wrong with a 9mm. Unless you like other calibers (the 40) and cost is not a concern. JMHO

Seems to me it would make a lot of sense to stick with the 9mm, not only would you have the same round, but, depending on which Glock the OP purchases, he could have interchangeability in magazines as well..

IMHO, IANAL, IDNSAAHIELN, TANSTAFL, etc

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    The little guy is 3. He's done some air soft but he's not a big fan of loud noises. I think I need to tell the wife I need a surpressor (for the children).

When he is a little older, if you are into shooting, get him into it. I regret that I actually gave up shooting for the whole time I was raising my kids. This a sport that you can do as a family for a long, long time. Now he's in the Air Force and is learning to shoot and we go shooting when he comes home, but I have still have my regrets.

xxkornxx56

Marksman
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Clinton
    I have a lot of experience with everything from .22 to .45 and my suggestion is to go with the larger caliber that you are most comfortable with. Personally when it comes to a smaller handgun(sub compact) I don't like much more than a 9mm. The recoil to me seems much less manageable so prefer the 9mm. With a mid to full size gun though I am comfortable with a .40 or even .45. I have a M&P 45 full size I shoot a lot and since I have had quite a bit of experience with it I am extremely comfortable with the recoil. All in all my advice is basically experiment with a few different rounds and find one you are comfortable trusting your life with.

Lethgar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2012
    Better 15 well placed and cheaper 9s in hand than 13 more expensive .40s with slower follow-up shots and similar ballistic performance. Not sure if I buy into the new "puts more wear and tear on the gun" fad, though.

Eskion

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2012
    Hammond
    Since your Wife has your old 9mm I would go with a 9mm also. Ammo interchangability etc. There is nothing wrong with a 9mm. Unless you like other calibers (the 40) and cost is not a concern. JMHO

I think this guy makes a hell of a good point there, and you are already familiar with 9mm anyway.

timrok

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2011
    If I had to do it all over again I think I would have started with a 9MM. I like the ballistics of the .40 and my groups are quite tight but after about 3000 rounds I’m having problems with my back rail and can’t properly re-engage the slide in my only weapon. I’m now thinking if I chose the 9mm and graduated up I would have fared a little better. Where I live you can get some deals on 9mm ammo, so it’s generally cheaper and definitely easier to shoot. The .40 took some time for me to partially master (more like not suck) but my pistol in its non-serviceable condition paid the price.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    If I had to do it all over again I think I would have started with a 9MM. I like the ballistics of the .40 and my groups are quite tight but after about 3000 rounds I’m having problems with my back rail and can’t properly re-engage the slide in my only weapon. I’m now thinking if I chose the 9mm and graduated up I would have fared a little better. Where I live you can get some deals on 9mm ammo, so it’s generally cheaper and definitely easier to shoot. The .40 took some time for me to partially master (more like not suck) but my pistol in its non-serviceable condition paid the price.

What Brand and Model of pistol do you currently own? 3000 rounds is really not that many to be having problems.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Even with the wife having a 9mm? I am kinda with this guy..

Seems to me it would make a lot of sense to stick with the 9mm, not only would you have the same round, but, depending on which Glock the OP purchases, he could have interchangeability in magazines as well..

IMHO, IANAL, IDNSAAHIELN, TANSTAFL, etc
    ^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^ is GOOD advice, magazine interchangeability, COULD be a lifesaver !!!!! :twocents:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Not to change the subject, but add to it. I am thinking of getting a 9mm for possibly some multi-gun next year. I have a 1911 .45 but that would put me in the Heavy Metal group and my AR is in .223.

I figured I may as well get a Glock since "everyone" else has one. I went to Applied Ballistics today and shot a Glock 17. First, I was surprised at the recoil. Not a whole bunch different than my .45. I liked it okay. I then tried a Ruger SR9. I really liked that pistol. I immediately shot a much better group with it, target acquisition was faster and the trigger felt better. I am still not sure I even want to get a 9 since it would be only used for a possible 3-gun match in which I am doing it for fun only.

However the lesson I learned today is that I need to shoot several guns before I just go and buy one because "everyone" else has one. I am thinking I need to hook up with some guys at the range and try out a variety of 9mm's like the SA, S&W,etc.

Movealongmovealong

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Bloomington
    A .40 in another Glock will have significantly more snap to it than a 9mm.

Get your hands on a .40 Glock and try shooting it rapid-fire. If you can't handle it reasonably accurately, then you have answered your own question.

If you can, then you can move onto step 2 and possibly consider other factors.

Last edited:

SubicWarrior1988

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    central
    kaboom, just saying.

I converted to 9mm for my SD pistols because I will practice with it. I hoarded my 45 ammo and hated shooting it due to the expense, which in turn, hurt my pistol skills.

It's different for everyone. :)

Top Bottom