• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mpholic

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    I had an opportunity to shoot some rounds into ballistic gel this past Sunday. The notice was very short so I didn't have adequate time to round up as many samples as I would have liked but it was fun and informative nonetheless.

I saved all the rounds, took some pictures and recorded some data that I plan on posting here but my time lately has been very limited (our granddaughter will be born Fri morning and our grandson has been staying with us).

Keeping in mind these were very small samples (mostly just one round per caliber) and a small sample of handguns the results were not very scientific to say the least.

I was very impressed by Winchester PDX1 (124g +P) shot from a Kahr PM9 and even more impressed by Winchester Rangers (.357Sig) shot from a Glock 32. I was somewhat surprised by the fact that the .357Sig had the least penetration but after seeing how much the round expanded I understood why.

The Critical Defense .38Spl (standard pressure) had the most penetration (almost 18 inches) and very uniform expansion but the expansion diameter was very disappointing. This small diameter may explain why it penetrated so far. Other rounds tested were 9mm Silvertips, .40S&W Winchester SXTs, .38Spl Federal HiShoks.

I plan on (as time permits) measuring all the rounds for expansion diamter and weight retention for a better picture.

Hopefully next time I will have a little more notice and have the opportunity collect a wider range of rounds for testing.

100 bullets

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 6, 2010
    Georgia
    I read on another site where they do all kinds of testing on guns and ammo that milk jugs with water can be used to gauge the results of ballistic clay.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pistolpete68
    Top Bottom