• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    So last month my niece broke her arm. Ok no big deal my brother takes her to the hospital they get her straightened out and casted up. Now the thing is my brother's wife is not my niece's mother, ok again no big deal, she has insurance through her work and turns this accident into her provider thinking it would get covered. They reject it saying that since she is not the girls mother they wont cover her. :xmad: WHAT!! Why would they not cover my niece when my brother has been married to this woman for over 5 yrs. I guess the deal is that thier policy only covers employees and elligeble family and step-children in thier eyes are not family. :xmad: I hate insurance companies!!
    So now my brother get the bill. Needless to say its a good sum. He starts talking about selling some of his guns to pay the bill. So I offer up what I can to help out. Ive been saving to buy a rifle and revolver anyway so I offer to buy the guns he has that belonged to my uncle.

An older probably late 80s or early 90s Marlin 336

001-9.jpg

and a S&W Highway Patrolman. I dont know the model number. Again I think its from the late 80s but Im not sure. I haven taken the grips off yet to read the serial number.

003-2.jpg

I gave him $700.00 for both. I dont really care if I over paid or not. It was what I had to spare and it helps him out and keeps these guns in our family.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    That's pretty messed up! I put us on a family plan just so that my stepdaughter would definately have insurance, she's even listed on it for coverage. Did they have to list her SSN, DOB, and whatnot with the insurance company when they set it up?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Good to see things working out better than they could under adverse circumstances. The Highway Patrolman would be a model 28.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Man, talk about some tough luck! You wait, in the near future its going to get worse. Between Obamacare and the insurance companies, they will find all kinds of way to tell people to "sod off". Nice guns you bought, and under the right circumstances too. Good job.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    I'm glad you posted this.... I have a stepdaughter so this has inspired me to make sure I got all my ducks in a row.

thanks for sharing!

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I guess Obamacare forgot about fixing that little loophole. Does that mean they wont cover adopted children either?
    I don't know for sure. I believe if you go through the court process and "legally" adopt a child, then they have to cover them due to the legalities.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    So last month my niece broke her arm. Ok no big deal my brother takes her to the hospital they get her straightened out and casted up. Now the thing is my brother's wife is not my niece's mother, ok again no big deal, she has insurance through her work and turns this accident into her provider thinking it would get covered. They reject it saying that since she is not the girls mother they wont cover her. :xmad: WHAT!! Why would they not cover my niece when my brother has been married to this woman for over 5 yrs. I guess the deal is that thier policy only covers employees and elligeble family and step-children in thier eyes are not family. :xmad: I hate insurance companies!!
    So now my brother get the bill. Needless to say its a good sum. He starts talking about selling some of his guns to pay the bill. So I offer up what I can to help out. Ive been saving to buy a rifle and revolver anyway so I offer to buy the guns he has that belonged to my uncle.

An older probably late 80s or early 90s Marlin 336

and a S&W Highway Patrolman. I dont know the model number. Again I think its from the late 80s but Im not sure. I haven taken the grips off yet to read the serial number.

I gave him $700.00 for both. I dont really care if I over paid or not. It was what I had to spare and it helps him out and keeps these guns in our family.

Have your brother call the billing department at the hospital and ask if they can take a reduced amount since it wasn't covered by insurance. A lot of times they will discount the fees because the cash price is a lot higher than the insurance price. It doesn't hurt to ask.

I did this a couple years ago after surgery on the amount insurance didn't pay. They took approx $500 off my bill for a cash settlement.

As far as insurance goes, usually towards the end of the year most companies make you renew your insurance options. You have to list all covered family members on these forms. It sounds like the step mother omitted your niece on the forms. It's not the companies fault if she didn't select coverage for her.

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    That is messed up about about the insurance... but the gun purchases are well done, and a real class act on your part for helping out family!:thumbsup:

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Not trying to be nosey. What did the bills add up to? Just curious how much the hospital stuck them with for a broken arm.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    You may be able to argue them into coverage; they play games to try to weasel out of paying anything. I had insurance before I got married, and upgraded to the family plan when I did, but we found out since my wife was older than I was, her coverage took precedence for her son. She died, and I couldn't add my son to mine due to enrollment issues. I made too much money to leech off the state, so he's been without. Fortunately, he doesn't get sick much, but I need to have his feet tended to. Not that I can't afford it, but it's a [bad word]. Still, I'm hoping against hope this obamascare thing gets borked before it starts.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    My three boys are covered by my wifes insurance, she is not the boys mother, but added them to her family plan 7 years ago when we got married, as her company offers way better, and cheaper than mine. I'm not really clear as to why the insurance company wouldn't cover the child, unless that childs name is not on the insurance card.

My ex wife, the boys mother, has actually had to call my wife to get permission to use the insurance. That's always an awkward moment for her, I'm guessing.:):

Ryno300

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Fly over country
    Great way to step up and help family. And I'm sure it feels much better this way to your brother than a handout. My son broke his arm a couple of years ago and though we have insurance we have a very deductible.make sure he does contact the hospital billing department. I got about a 10 percent discount by paying cash.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    As others said, good buy, and good for you for helping family! Don't worry... come 2014 we'll all have great insurance, and kittens and puppies and butterflies will rain down from the sky. ;)

Top Bottom