Some good in the news, oil prices plummet!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Watching the barrel of oil price ticker lately has been nicer than watching in terror at 401Ks losing value. Last check showed oil futures trading at $79 and trending still lower!!!!

Hopefully when the price of gasoline finally drops low enough, and people start having more money for something other than gasoline, our economy will slowly start moving, regardless of what our idiots in Washington try.

Of course I am sure they will take credit for the accidental recovery.

jkfletcher

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    A geographical oddity
    I never understood why we have to pay $4 a gallon and the oil company makes $300 billion when they would probably make the same by charging half that just because people wouldn't think so much about it at that price. Then you'd get the consumer money for the cheaper fuel, but also the extra money from shipping companies for all the extra goods the people would be able to buy. When you get into the hundreds of billions of dollars, what's a few less? It's still a lot :dunno:

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Took $100 to fill my truck today at $3.88 a gal for Diesel. At least the pump didn't kick out at $75!
    God! that pisses me off to no end... I hate having to redo my whole transaction because they wont adjust their credit card pre-authorization settings...:xmad:

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Too bad our gas prices are reflective of crude prices anymore. They'll just shut down another refinery for maintenance and raise the pump prices right back up no matter what a barrel of crude is pricing at.;)

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I never understood why we have to pay $4 a gallon and the oil company makes $300 billion when they would probably make the same by charging half that just because people wouldn't think so much about it at that price. Then you'd get the consumer money for the cheaper fuel, but also the extra money from shipping companies for all the extra goods the people would be able to buy. When you get into the hundreds of billions of dollars, what's a few less? It's still a lot :dunno:
    You obviously don't understand #1 economics and #2, just how much oil they buy/sell per year. I've figured it up before (profits vs barrels of oil/gallons of gas etc). If they cut their profits to zero (which would completely go against the principles of the free-market economy) you would see a price drop of approximately 1.2 CENTS per gallon. The oil companies make 1.2 CENTS per gallon profits.

Sit down and use the head on your shoulders, they aren't out there to "serve" you; they are out there to make money. How are they supposed to make money?

.45kohnACP

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    boonies of NWI
    You obviously don't understand #1 economics and #2, just how much oil they buy/sell per year. I've figured it up before (profits vs barrels of oil/gallons of gas etc). If they cut their profits to zero (which would completely go against the principles of the free-market economy) you would see a price drop of approximately 1.2 CENTS per gallon. The oil companies make 1.2 CENTS per gallon profits.

Sit down and use the head on your shoulders, they aren't out there to "serve" you; they are out there to make money. How are they supposed to make money?

Where do you get your figures? just curious?

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Where do you get your figures? just curious?
    Not sure anymore, it's been a few years since I figured it all up. And obviously those figures were with older numbers.

But I can still bet you that if the oil companies didn't make a single penny profit per year people still wouldn't be satisfied with gas prices. My post was to point out the fact that they sell so much gas per year that billions in profits really only means pennies/gallon profits.

Top Bottom