• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Ive given up on the retail GMRS radios. The industry has become a joke, refusing to list actual power in the specs. And since the distance ratings are ridiculous and seemingly arbitrary you cant truly understand what you are buying. (Like a "38 mile" radio that would work good at 1.2mi, but not an additional 200 yards away)

Last edited:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Ive given up on the retail GMRS radios. The industry has become a joke, refusing to list actual power in the specs. And since the distance ratings are ridiculous and seemingly arbitrary you cant truly understand what you are buying. (Like a "38 mile" radio that would work good at 1.2mi, but not an additional 200 yards away)
    Are there any good resources to learn a bit more about using these older radios on the MURS stuff? I'm willing to learn instead of ask stupid questions but google seems to be coming up with conversations on radio forums that are MUCH more in-depth than I can follow. I'm not an idiot, I understand the basics of comms (I know what frequency & band mean, but don't necessary know the allocations and the in/outs of using the various bands, nor do I understand antenna theory very much).

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Seriously, study for the Technician Class HAM license. You will learn a LOT, but not so much that its a waste. Its not hard and it covers the basics of the theory. Once you have studied that it will answer most of your questions without answering too many more than you have.

The rest is easy to fill in the blanks.

The "OMG, why do I need to know THAT" doesnt kick in in earnest until you start studying for the General Class.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    We went from NWI to Festus, MO just south of St. Louis the night before. We stayed at a nice hotel and I gassed up that night. The next AM, no problems getting around ST. Louis to Festus.

BUT we knew most likely people would be getting back home that night for work the next day and the roads would be bottlenecked. Since we knew this, I don't consider it an emergency, just a reminder of what could happen in one. I used WAZE and my Gazetteer and our normal 4.5 hour trip back took 7 hours. THe cooler was stocked with H2O, snacks, and I filled a thermos at a truckstop. Only "Emergency" was a line at a mens room, I just walked out to the woodline out back in the dark!

Top Bottom