• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    Trying the inner door handle aside...that was wrong...not sure why they did that...

BUT....

Seriously?

So now allowing kids to sell for fundraisers door to door is directly related to a lack of 'morals'.? Do the lessons learned for working hard for money to go to camp or for that prize for selling the most girl scout cookies. I learned if I wanted something I had to WORK for it. WORK might mean mowing lawns or selling door to door. I would have never made it to scout camp if it wasn't for door to door pizza sales(at least until I was old enough to get a 'real' job). Your property is your property...fine. Fence it off completely and put a gate up across your drive if you want people to stay off of it.

I'm just shaking my head.

The inner door handle is the whole point of this!! This has nothing to do with charity, we did give to her charity...you said bit door to door charity is directly related to a lack of morals. In said opening my door is a lack of morals....

You can't just make up an argument to make people sound evil...

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    My bad...the 'she grabbed the door handle' bit has been coming and going in the thread and it gets hard to tell if its the 'great door handle incident of 2013' that is being shown to cause the 'party foul' or the daring to set foot on your property trying to sell something that caused the issue. I see people b!tching about both in this thread...

Someone in the thread posted about kids struggling to know their limits. The kid could have grabbed the door handle....did she come completely in or just grab it? If she just grabbed it it very well could be the mom quickly corrected her. An over zealous child that the mom wasn't prepared for....maybe yours was her first house or first of the night. What she did was wrong, but nothing that I recall indicated the plan was to come in and 'take anything you had because she was entitled to it' other than the initial door handle rattling. Yes, I agree, that was wrong....everything else they did was OK unless you're of the camp 'No soliciting means nobody not even cute kids for charity'. Unless I forgot something that I read 3 days ago in the OP I think thats an accurate assessment.

SaintsNSinners

Shooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    At Work in Indy
    Some one opened my storm door and grabbed my "main" door handle. This makes a distinct sound because we sit about 6 feet from the front door on my living room and the door handle is a little "loose".

I opened the door to find a 7 year old girl... I about ****. I felt dumb and like I was over reacting.

OP's words , said little girl never opened the door and the op is aparently to busy riding his platinum encrusted high horse to fix his own door knob. So in theory since the OP apparently has far greater things to worry about security wise than fixing the door knob; it is entirely concievable that his wonky AKA Broken door knob just happens to rattle. Perhaps the parents corrected an action, perhaps the child tripped on a hypothetical front porch that is in the same state of upkeep in which the OP keeps his door knob. Maybe it was a black bag fema group come to take the OP to the camp, Maybe it was drone with arms.

I love the whole Great Door Handle Incident of 2013....... thats hilarious

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    This thread was supposed to be a learning exercise for my self and any one else who might encounter some one uninvited opening door to their home.

A few people turned it into : "soliciting is not a crime"

Ass hat parents that don't teach their kids boundaries is tlwhere the entitlement talk came from...

Let me repeat: a person (no idea it was a child at the time) opened my storm door at night and proceeded to open my main door, I was the one who actually opened the door but her hand was on my door knob as I opened to see who the hell was trying to enter my home...

SaintsNSinners can't comprehend what happened so he has confused other people to thinking I hate little girls collecting for charity...

I simply hate people trying to enter my home whom are uninvited.. if you think I am an ass for that so be it and I feel you are what's going wrong with this country...again the term entitlements comes to mind.

Thanks SaintsNsinners for your ignorance as to what this thread was about. I believe the term is being thread jacked... you win.

Last edited:

SaintsNSinners

Shooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    At Work in Indy
    Aww I feel honored.. Ignorance as to what it's about? Nothing happened. This is a thread about I pulled a gun because of a small child and I need to feel better about it.

So let me get this straight no-one but you opened the door.

And

some little girl had the audacity to try and raise some school money, and the gall to do it supervised by an adult.

And this thread is about what then? Planning what to do if no one opens your door?

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Not reading the whole post.

Soliciting is illegal in Marion Co under most circumstances. It is an ordinance violation, up to a $2500 fine.

Sec. 391-104. Peddlers and solicitors entering private premises.
    (a)
    The practice of entering upon the premises of private residences in the city by any persons acting as solicitors, peddlers, hawkers, itinerant merchants or transient vendors of merchandise of any kind, magazines, pamphlets, books or any other articles, when such person has not been requested or invited to do so by the owner or occupant of the private residence, or when a notice is posted at or near the entrance thereof forbidding such entry for any such purposes, with the intention of selling or soliciting orders for the sale of any such things, or of peddling, hawking or otherwise disposing thereof, or doing all or any of such practices, is hereby declared to be a nuisance and shall be punishable as prescribed in this chapter.
    (b)
    The provisions of this section shall not apply to the sale, soliciting of orders for the sale, or the delivery to any such premises of milk, dairy products, vegetables, fruits, meat, poultry, eggs, groceries, bread or any other farm and garden produce and foods or liquid products, so far as the disposal thereof is at any time authorized by law and is done in compliance with all applicable provisions of this Code or other city ordinances; nor shall they apply to the delivery of any merchandise or other articles of any kind previously purchased or ordered by or for the owner or occupant of such premises.
    (Code 1975, § 19-4)

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    This thread was supposed to be a learning exercise for my self and any one else who might encounter some one uninvited opening door to their home.

A few people turned it into : "soliciting is not a crime"

Ass hat parents that don't teach their kids boundaries is tlwhere the entitlement talk came from...

Let me repeat: a person (no idea it was a child at the time) opened my storm door at night and proceeded to open my main door, I was the one who actually opened the door but her hand was on my door knob as I opened to see who the hell was trying to enter my home...

SaintsNSinners can't comprehend what happened so he has confused other people to thinking I hate little girls collecting for charity...

I simply hate people trying to enter my home whom are uninvited.. if you think I am an ass for that so be it and I feel you are what's going wrong with this country...again the term entitlements comes to mind.

Thanks SaintsNsinners for your ignorance as to what this thread was about. I believe the term is being thread jacked... you win.

So, basically what you're saying is that you hate the children. lol

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Younger children can have boundary issues, sometimes exacerbated by the excitement of the moment. It is entirely plausible that the little girl was excited and just forgot her manners. It's also not necessarily a reflection of their parents or values, it is simply a 7 year old. Amazing the same website that defended a woman who intentionally hit a USSS officer with her vehicle can condone shoving a gun in the face of a 7 year old selling easter seals.
    Those aren't boundary issues. Those are obedience issues or never-been-taught-better issues. But we still don't know why the little girl's hand was on the door knob and there's no proof she actually intended on entering, so it's all kinda moot anyway.

So, basically what you're saying is that you hate the children. lol
    No, you're confusing him with streak.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The argument that "No Soliciting" signs on private residences are equivalent to "No Firearms" signs on businesses open to the public is equivalent to claiming that private residences are equivalent to businesses open to the public. I find that insulting.

The argument that laws against people soliciting at private residences are equivalent to laws against lemonade stands on private residences is equivalent to claiming that what other people can do on my property is equivalent to what I can do on my own property. That too is insulting.

Hasn't much been said about the fact that this was happening after dark. There was also an equivalence claimed for general soliciting with trick or treaters, meter readers, and package delivery services. I don't know about you, but I don't know any meter readers or package delivery services that would tread upon the property of a private residence after dark. As for trick or treaters, that should be limited to one day a year, and they should be expected after dark. If one so desires, shouldn't one be able under law to post a sign reading "No Trick Or Treaters" on that one night and expect it to be honored? If so, then why wouldn't a "No Solicitors" sign be honored the other 364? Also, meter readers and package delivery services have contractual obligations with respect to the specific private residence in question. Solicitors have no such justification for their intrusions into private domestic life.

The home I grew up in had a small 4' x 4' vestibule with two consecutive front doors and a screen door on the outer door. Not only does it form a sort of airlock to keep climate controlled air in and nasty weather out, it is also added security to keep other external nasty unwanteds out.

As for the plumbing in of a sprayer and a speaker. Speaker, no problem. Sprayer, what do you do in the winter when the water in the pipes over your front door freeze? Also, with modern LED technology, it's pretty easy to mount exterior lighting around the front door with the light cast outward. It would make a person at the door very easy for you to see and simultaneously make it very hard for them to see you, even if you did "just open the door".

My husband's wife is [STRIKE]AWESOME[/STRIKE] trouble!
    What precludes her from being both at the same time? Awesome trouble.

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    The argument that "No Soliciting" signs on private residences are equivalent to "No Firearms" signs on businesses open to the public is equivalent to claiming that private residences are equivalent to businesses open to the public. I find that insulting.

The argument that laws against people soliciting at private residences are equivalent to laws against lemonade stands on private residences is equivalent to claiming that what other people can do on my property is equivalent to what I can do on my own property. That too is insulting.

Hasn't much been said about the fact that this was happening after dark. There was also an equivalence claimed for general soliciting with trick or treaters, meter readers, and package delivery services. I don't know about you, but I don't know any meter readers or package delivery services that would tread upon the property of a private residence after dark. As for trick or treaters, that should be limited to one day a year, and they should be expected after dark. If one so desires, shouldn't one be able under law to post a sign reading "No Trick Or Treaters" on that one night and expect it to be honored? If so, then why wouldn't a "No Solicitors" sign be honored the other 364? Also, meter readers and package delivery services have contractual obligations with respect to the specific private residence in question. Solicitors have no such justification for their intrusions into private domestic life.

The home I grew up in had a small 4' x 4' vestibule with two consecutive front doors and a screen door on the outer door. Not only does it form a sort of airlock to keep climate controlled air in and nasty weather out, it is also added security to keep other external nasty unwanteds out.

As for the plumbing in of a sprayer and a speaker. Speaker, no problem. Sprayer, what do you do in the winter when the water in the pipes over your front door freeze? Also, with modern LED technology, it's pretty easy to mount exterior lighting around the front door with the light cast outward. It would make a person at the door very easy for you to see and simultaneously make it very hard for them to see you, even if you did "just open the door".

What precludes her from being both at the same time? Awesome trouble.

Thank you for seeing through the non sense twisted BS that's has become e if this thread. Well stated.

Top Bottom