Some punk threw a brick through my window!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Sunday night around 11:30 my wife was scared half to death when a brick came crashing through our dining room window. I think I know who did it, but have no real proof.

The back story: Saturday afternoon I caught a neighborhood kid stealing a bicycle horn off of my front porch. It’s something my wife picked up at a yard sale a few weeks ago, and my daughter likes to run around the yard and honk it like crazy. It was still out on the porch when I finished mowing the lawn Saturday and went inside to get cleaned up.

I was upstairs when I heard someone honking the horn through the open bedroom window, which was strange because I was home alone and my daughter was with the in-laws. By the time I got down stairs to check things out, the horn was gone I saw a little kid walking down the street away from the house. He couldn’t have been older than 10 or 11.

Later that afternoon I saw him again. He was hanging around the neighbor’s house with some other kids who I think are my neighbor’s grandkids. I asked him if he was the one honking the horn earlier. He said yes, he was. I asked him if he had taken the horn since it wasn’t on the porch any more. He denied taking it and shot me a nasty look.

I was very polite and calmly told him I would have let him play with the horn if he would have simply asked. I told him he shouldn’t walk onto a stranger’s property and mess with their stuff without their permission and I left it at that.

Cut to Sunday night. My wife woke me up crying around 11:30 p.m. and told me someone had tried to break in, and they had just smashed open the dining room window. I grabbed my nightstand pistol, threw her the phone and told her to call the police while I grabbed my 2 year old and brought her into our bedroom.

The police got there about 5 minutes later. (It was the same officer who responded to our previous 911 call, when my wife was robbed at gunpoint in our driveway a few months ago. https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ife-friends-robbed-gunpoint-my-own-house.html) He started a perimeter search while I scanned the living room and found a large chuck of cinder block on the floor. That’s what had come through the window.

I don’t think it was a break-in attempt, because those windows are on the side of the house and they are too high to easily climb through. Plus, that part of the yard is well lit by a couple of flood lights we installed after the robbery.

I’m pretty sure it was the kid that had come back (or one of his friends, brother, etc.). We found a couple other pieces of concrete outside on the lawn. I figure it took him a couple of throws to smash the window. He likely targeted those windows because my wife was in the front room with the lights on. The dining room was dark at the time so he knew it was likely empty.

The bottom line is that I have to pay several hundred dollars to replace a window simply because some punk hood rat wanted to get “even” after I caught him stealing a bike horn my wife paid 25 cents for.

If it was in fact him, I find it pretty telling that a 10 year old kid doesn’t think twice about stealing in broad daylight, has no trouble sneaking out of the house at 11:30 p.m. and thinks it’s ok to chuck rocks through a stranger’s window because he felt “disrespected.” I’m sure he’s got a real bright future ahead of him.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I am not surprised at this but am really sad your family was scared. That was the intent of this thing. In his eyes you disrespected him in front of his friends. The respect thing has been so twisted by the thug culture.
    This is going to get worse as these wayward youth come of age (10 or 11) and start causing mayhem.They have no concept of private property/right or wrong/value of life/Honor/morality. They see us (working class citizens) as sheep and the enemy as we will try to stop them from running amok as they will and disrespecting them. Thank you welfare state.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Next time you see him, walk up, hand him the chunk of block with a smile and say "I think you misplaced this the other night.", wink and walk away before he can say anything.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Sorry for your bad luck, again.

I agree with CM...these kids are out in left field with their views on right/wrong, respect, etc...If you were to just ask them to turn their music down at 11:30 at night because your kid is sleeping they would feel they were disrespected and you now owe them something, if you don't give it to them they'll just take it. Why work for anything when I can just break in to your house and steal it?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Yep. And the worst part is I was trying to talk to him like a man. I was careful not to accuse him of stealing. I gave him the chance to do the right thing and and come clean. I never got upset about it, just tried to give him a piece of friendly advice. He clearly doesn't have anyone showing him right and wrong.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Yep. And the worst part is I was trying to talk to him like a man. I was careful not to accuse him of stealing. I gave him the chance to do the right thing and and come clean. I never got upset about it, just tried to give him a piece of friendly advice. He clearly doesn't have anyone showing him right and wrong.

Reminds me of the "he was/is a good boy" line.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Next time you see him, walk up, hand him the chunk of block with a smile and say "I think you misplaced this the other night.", wink and walk away before he can say anything.

They are not scared of reprisal by authority. Authority's hold no sway over them. When I was a kid LEO would kick your butt and drag your A$$ home where the parents would repeat the process. Not these days.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    Sucks man. Sounds like we live in practically the same neighborhood....oh wait, we practically do! Dude, if I wasn't so visible to these people around here and gave them an inkling of thought that my back is turned, something similar would happen.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    They are not scared of reprisal by authority. Authority's hold no sway over them. When I was a kid LEO would kick your butt and drag your A$$ home where the parents would repeat the process. Not these days.
    This suggestion was by no means a reprisal. Its simply a polite way of saying "look you little sh** I know it was you, and it wasnt as anonymous as you think it was."

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Sucks man. Sounds like we live in practically the same neighborhood....oh wait, we practically do! Dude, if I wasn't so visible to these people around here and gave them an inkling of thought that my back is turned, something similar would happen.

Exactly. And this is why I open carry when I cut the grass or walk the neighborhood with my wife.

The cop even asked me if we were thinking about moving since we've had so much trouble lately. I told him I wasn't about to let some little kid run me off that easy.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Most of the A$$hats have fled our area. They were not enough in numbers to run their game but they caused more than enough damage while they were around. The neighborhood just stopped putting up with the crap. LEO stepped up around here and responded. They would arrest them and the system pitched them right back out on the streets. LEO is doing all they can. It is the crew at the helm downtown that is the real issue.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    Get a sign from the hardware store saying your premises is under watch by video camera and post it on the porch. It's a bandaid until you really do it.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Get a sign from the hardware store saying your premises is under watch by video camera and post it on the porch. It's a bandaid until you really do it.

I've been pricing camera systems lately, but we've also been talking about a personal protection dog to keep an eye on things. I found a good trainer down in Kentucky, but I don't exactly have an extra $5k laying around, what with all the window repairs I need to do.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Show him the piece of block and say "I think you misplaced this", then let him notice your OC and say "I'd hate to misplace one of these". Might give him some pause.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Show him the piece of block and say "I think you misplaced this", then let him notice your OC and say "I'd hate to misplace one of these". Might give him some pause.

Not a good idea at all. I tried returning a basketball that rolled away from my neighbors (at least that is what I believe happened) and my 11 year old neighbor wasn't having any of that. Kids today are worse than those damned millennials. This is what I was met with...

B1uuFpG.jpg

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth

Keep in mind he's just a kid and I have no real proof he did anything. I'm pretty sure taking your advice would result in a conversation with police once he accused me of threatening him with a gun. Definitely not a road I want to go down.

PwrCruz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Westside Indy
    I had a sum what similar situation around my house but some one was spray painting my fence during the day while I was at work. Staked out my own place in a friends car while I didn't catch the person I did catch a kid walking away with a can of pa

Top Bottom