• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Went down to the farm today and helped dad clean up some limbs that had come down over the winter, as well as trim back a few trees. Once we got the brush pile burning, we took a break and did some shooting.

I am working on some loads for my Savage 10FP in .223. Right now it really likes 68gr Hornady HPBT match, and a load that a buddy of mine (also an INGO-er) developed as his pet .223 load.

His handloads and his shooting in this gun have put 10 rounds touching at 100yds off the bench. Today I wanted to see if my loads to his recipe, and with me shooting with my bipod could come close.

I need to continue to work on my technique, but the rifle and load definitely want to play. Wind was probably 5-10 MPH left to right today, and these rounds were about 1.5" high and right of my point of aim. That's about double the wind drift it should be. Also, my scope was zeroed for 100yds with some 69gr Partisan Privi ammo, so this load might be a little faster, hence the higher POI.

I should note that this is a picture from the back of the target (an old hollow door) that shows the group better than the paper. There was a bit of rain and mist and the paper was tearing up pretty bad with each shot. POA would be about 1.5" low and right in the picture.

savage10fpgroup2.jpg

The bottom "flier" was my first shot, and the top right flier was my last. The other 8 were all touching or very close to touching and would score right at 1 MOA or just a bit over. I'm not sure what I did to throw the other two shots, but those shot also had the highest velocities.

Velocity (fps)

10 Shots
    2999.3Avg.
    28.0Std. Dev

Middle 8 shots
    2987.8Avg
    15.7Std Dev

Taking the two high values out (which seem to be anomolies) I get just shy of 2990fps, and about 1/2 of the standard deviation of the full string.

After we felt pretty good about how the rifle was going to perform, we decided to take out a few reactive targets. Enter some old cans of caffine free diet coke that had been in my garage all winter. I sure as heck wasn't going to drink them, so they became targets.

Here's a cell phone video of dad taking out one of the cans. The resolution isn't all that good, but you can make out the explosion of coke in the distance. Also, we're shooting from a carport, hence the strange sound and the echo of the muzzle blast.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Right now I'm running a Leupold VX-1 3x9. Good glass and at 9x is plenty of scope at 100yds. I have a feeling if I decide to shoot farther I might want a bit more power though.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    today was a great day to do some shooting. i did a little today but spent most of the day reloading. i did shoot my new 358bfg today:rockwoot:

I'm hoping to have this rifle dialed in just in case I can make it to your 3-gun shoot. I don't know if I'll be in town that weekend or not, but if I am, I want to see if I can keep a .224 projectile in flight over a longer range. :ar15:

Top Bottom