Some trap shooting advice (bringing my fiancee into the fold)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    Went and checked the place out today -- it's a really beautiful spot. 3 different sporting clays courses, wobble trap, skeet. Kinda pricey but not too bad really. Super well maintained and nice facilities and very nice folks working there. The "easy" sporting clays courses is entirely wooded and overlooking a ravine. Super cool.

Lady is setup for a 2 hr intro lesson next weekend and they've got plenty of good quality guns to fit her on. Super excited!

Sounds like you found Deer Creek in MI. Very nice place. The lessons should work out well and she should be able to try out a few guns to see what works best for her. Depending on where you are in NWI, there may be a few places closer for shooting trap. My favorite is Oakwood gun club in Wheatfield, but he is on limited schedule now, only open Sat, Sun, and Wed during certain hours. Been shooting there for years and is the only place in NWI that I know of that has skeet. I prefer skeet, but trap is fun too. Oakwood also has sporting clays. There is also an Izaak Walton near I65 and 61st Ave in Merrillville/Hobart. It is a private club, but Wed & Sat they have trap games open to the public. It's only a 10 minute drive for me. Nice place. Hope the lessons go well and she enjoys shooting shotgun.

larcat

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2020
    NWI
    Yes, Deer Creek. Seems nice :)

Thanks for the heads-up on Oakwood. I saw them on the net but couldn't really figure out if they were still open or not.

Sounds like you found Deer Creek in MI. Very nice place. The lessons should work out well and she should be able to try out a few guns to see what works best for her. Depending on where you are in NWI, there may be a few places closer for shooting trap. My favorite is Oakwood gun club in Wheatfield, but he is on limited schedule now, only open Sat, Sun, and Wed during certain hours. Been shooting there for years and is the only place in NWI that I know of that has skeet. I prefer skeet, but trap is fun too. Oakwood also has sporting clays. There is also an Izaak Walton near I65 and 61st Ave in Merrillville/Hobart. It is a private club, but Wed & Sat they have trap games open to the public. It's only a 10 minute drive for me. Nice place. Hope the lessons go well and she enjoys shooting shotgun.

larcat

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2020
    NWI
    Gunna post this here so I don't clutter things up with a new thread, hopefully get some input:

I've always just shot whatever target loads were cheap at Big Box Hunting Store.

I kinda want to load up a fair amount of target ammo. Should I really care what I get? Is there specific stuff to avoid? Again -- not competitive here, just recreational. Given how a shotgun works it seems kinda unlikely ammo matters near as much as it does in rifles/pistols....

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Gunna post this here so I don't clutter things up with a new thread, hopefully get some input:

I've always just shot whatever target loads were cheap at Big Box Hunting Store.

I kinda want to load up a fair amount of target ammo. Should I really care what I get? Is there specific stuff to avoid? Again -- not competitive here, just recreational. Given how a shotgun works it seems kinda unlikely ammo matters near as much as it does in rifles/pistols....

There will be those that say nothing short of AA is acceptable but when I shot Trap, I shot a lot of RIO and it worked fine. I also shot Gun Club's and a couple others.

I looked for shot size and price.

I suppose if I was consistently scoring 23-24 and folks pointed out that my gun sounded different from shot to shot or they didn't see a wad come out the barrel, I would spend more money to get those last couple birds.:)

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    larcat- you have previously mentioned shooting both trap and sporting clays. Here are a few things to keep in mind. For trap, it kinda depends where you are shooting from. As a casual shooter, most of the time you will likely be shooting from the 16yd line. From the 16, just about anything will do fairly well. There are several differences between cheap shotshells and premium shotshells. Cheaper shells use lower cost materials to keep them cheaper. Probably the biggest difference to most casual shooters is the cheaper stuff has softer shot. So there is more potential to have some become more deformed as it moves through the barrels forcing cone and again when squeezed in the choke, which can cause some flyers in the pattern. More expensive shells have harder shot to better maintain spherical shape and improve patterning. Now, if you find yourself at a club and shooting from say the 20yd line or all the way back at the 27yd line, well the game is changed. For that you need the Premium shells like AA's or Nitro27's as examples as they have the premium hull, primer, powder, wad and hard shot and the hulls are better suited for reloading.
    Personally, since cost is a factor I mostly shoot Rem. Gun Clubs. Keep in mind shot weight will effect felt recoil, the heavier the more you feel it. Check your club to makes sure what you choose is legal.
    For sporting clays again most shells will work. Some people prefer a load with more speed for shooting SC's. Probably because shot distances vary and you are shooting both single and double targets and sometimes different size targets. As a casual shooter, I shoot the same shells for SC's as I do for trap. Mostly because I don't shoot SC as often as I'd like.
    Some clubs only allow the use of solid lead shot, no copper or nickel plated shot or steel shot. So check with your club.

One more thing, for trap don't get too loose with chokes or you will increase the likelihood of holes in the pattern causing missed targets

larcat

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2020
    NWI
    Thunder chicken -- thanks for the detailed reply. Indeed, all of the trap I've done has been from the front of the stations. I've got a case of 10 boxes of AA I picked up, but I think my partner will probably blow through most of that during her lesson. I shot a fair amount of the Gun Club and whatever the cheapo federal "light target loads" are called when I was doing this pretty regularly.

Unlikely we'll be getting competitive any time soon, so I probably won't worry about it and go on cost based on your post. Thanks for the info.

larcat- you have previously mentioned shooting both trap and sporting clays. Here are a few things to keep in mind. For trap, it kinda depends where you are shooting from. As a casual shooter, most of the time you will likely be shooting from the 16yd line. From the 16, just about anything will do fairly well. There are several differences between cheap shotshells and premium shotshells. Cheaper shells use lower cost materials to keep them cheaper. Probably the biggest difference to most casual shooters is the cheaper stuff has softer shot. So there is more potential to have some become more deformed as it moves through the barrels forcing cone and again when squeezed in the choke, which can cause some flyers in the pattern. More expensive shells have harder shot to better maintain spherical shape and improve patterning. Now, if you find yourself at a club and shooting from say the 20yd line or all the way back at the 27yd line, well the game is changed. For that you need the Premium shells like AA's or Nitro27's as examples as they have the premium hull, primer, powder, wad and hard shot and the hulls are better suited for reloading.
    Personally, since cost is a factor I mostly shoot Rem. Gun Clubs. Keep in mind shot weight will effect felt recoil, the heavier the more you feel it. Check your club to makes sure what you choose is legal.
    For sporting clays again most shells will work. Some people prefer a load with more speed for shooting SC's. Probably because shot distances vary and you are shooting both single and double targets and sometimes different size targets. As a casual shooter, I shoot the same shells for SC's as I do for trap. Mostly because I don't shoot SC as often as I'd like.
    Some clubs only allow the use of solid lead shot, no copper or nickel plated shot or steel shot. So check with your club.

One more thing, for trap don't get too loose with chokes or you will increase the likelihood of holes in the pattern causing missed targets

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    You won't really notice much difference between brands at this point so cost would be a good factor to focus on. I reload most of my shotgun shells so I base the amount and size of the shot on the game. For skeet, I load 7/8oz of #9 shot. For trap, I usually bring 1oz or 1 1/8oz of #8 shot (sometimes #7 1/2 if it's cold) depending on what I have loaded up. For sporting clays, I bring a variety of shells; 7/8, 1, and 1 1/8 ounce loads, depending on the presentation at each stage. I usually prefer #8 shot, but longer shots and cooler weather may require 7 1/2 shot. This should be a good rule-of-thumb for shot size and weight for whatever game you shoot.

For chokes, this is what I use:
    Skeet: Skeet
    Trap: Improved Mod/Light Full
    Sporting Clays: Closer shots, a more open choke. Further shots, tighter choke and maybe 7 1/2 shot.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    You won't really notice much difference between brands at this point so cost would be a good factor to focus on. I reload most of my shotgun shells so I base the amount and size of the shot on the game. For skeet, I load 7/8oz of #9 shot. For trap, I usually bring 1oz or 1 1/8oz of #8 shot (sometimes #7 1/2 if it's cold) depending on what I have loaded up. For sporting clays, I bring a variety of shells; 7/8, 1, and 1 1/8 ounce loads, depending on the presentation at each stage. I usually prefer #8 shot, but longer shots and cooler weather may require 7 1/2 shot. This should be a good rule-of-thumb for shot size and weight for whatever game you shoot.

For chokes, this is what I use:
    Skeet: Skeet
    Trap: Improved Mod/Light Full
    Sporting Clays: Closer shots, a more open choke. Further shots, tighter choke and maybe 7 1/2 shot.

I would agree with this assessment 100%...except I've never shot skeet so I will just say it coincides with what I've heard from others.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I would agree with this assessment 100%...except I've never shot skeet so I will just say it coincides with what I've heard from others.

You're missing out, not shooting skeet. I like skeet better than trap most of the time, because the target is presented straight toward/away from you to 90 degrees. Many more angles than trap gives you. I like trap for something different, though. They are all good.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    You're missing out, not shooting skeet. I like skeet better than trap most of the time, because the target is presented straight toward/away from you to 90 degrees. Many more angles than trap gives you. I like trap for something different, though. They are all good.

To each their own. When I was doing shotgun sports (after a life of duck hunting) I ended up gravitating towards Trap. I tried both but that's how it worked out for me.

I have not done Sporting Clays but I suspect I would really like it.:)

larcat

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2020
    NWI
    Wanted to say thanks to everyone again for the advice in this thread. She's both shooting clays and shooting a gun for the first time right now. Sounds like she's having fun and just heard a loud "well that was three in a row!"

Lesson was definetly the right way to go. She's using a 20g a400 and I don't think it's giving her any problems :)

Hopefully she takes to it. If she starts shopping shotguns that's money I'll gladly spend. Fingers xxed!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Wanted to say thanks to everyone again for the advice in this thread. She's both shooting clays and shooting a gun for the first time right now. Sounds like she's having fun and just heard a loud "well that was three in a row!"

Lesson was definetly the right way to go. She's using a 20g a400 and I don't think it's giving her any problems :)

Hopefully she takes to it. If she starts shopping shotguns that's money I'll gladly spend. Fingers xxed!

That is great to hear!

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis

That's awesome. Just remember be encouraging and don't criticize any mistakes she may make. Right now it just has to be fun

larcat

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2020
    NWI
    One bit of correction here -- she was shooting a 391, not a400. Was shooting 7/8ths loads, not sure on the fps. Ran through 3 boxes and was fine.

Help me check my head here that I'm not losing my mind -- 12g 7/8ths with the same charge would be identical recoil (leaving weight aside etc.) So shopping for a 12g gun wouldn't be dumb here?

Prob gunna go look at guns this week it sounds like...

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    One bit of correction here -- she was shooting a 391, not a400. Was shooting 7/8ths loads, not sure on the fps. Ran through 3 boxes and was fine.

Help me check my head here that I'm not losing my mind -- 12g 7/8ths with the same charge would be identical recoil (leaving weight aside etc.) So shopping for a 12g gun wouldn't be dumb here?

Prob gunna go look at guns this week it sounds like...

First of all a "when we come back" response is great along with shooting 3 boxes of shells and not feeling beat up makes it even better. Shows she at least didn't hate it and sounds like she is willing to give it another try.

Remember gun fit reduces felt recoil and makes a huge difference in success hitting targets.
    So comparing recoil of a 20g vs a 12g... So long as the gun fits reasonably well and the loads are comparable the difference between 20g and 12g probably isn't going to be noticeable. So a 20g load with 7/8oz #8 at say 1200fps and a 12g load with 7/8oz #8 at 1200fps is going to be so close most people wouldn't be able to tell a difference. I know some will argue this, but the biggest difference will be in gun weight. Typically a 12g will weigh a little more, but a heavier gun also helps absorb recoil. Some will argue that a 20g will do just about anything a 12g will do, and that is true to a point.
    The long and short is 12g is much more common in any clay target shooting game..even among youth shooters. IMHO, start looking at 12g shotguns and buy her some 7/8oz loads.

larcat

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2020
    NWI
    Ok thanks -- that was what made sense to me physics wise, but just wanted to make sure. She was definetly shooting with an undersized fun yesterday but given her prior surgeries the instructor wanted the lightest recoil available and that one apparently is softer by a good margin than the rest they have.

She was talking about getting a gun on the way home, and fit is gunna be the most most important -- and she's got some opinions there, ("longer buttstock, 'bigger' buttstock (comb)") but I'd prefer she get something in 12 for all the obvious reasons.

First of all a "when we come back" response is great along with shooting 3 boxes of shells and not feeling beat up makes it even better. Shows she at least didn't hate it and sounds like she is willing to give it another try.

Remember gun fit reduces felt recoil and makes a huge difference in success hitting targets.
    So comparing recoil of a 20g vs a 12g... So long as the gun fits reasonably well and the loads are comparable the difference between 20g and 12g probably isn't going to be noticeable. So a 20g load with 7/8oz #8 at say 1200fps and a 12g load with 7/8oz #8 at 1200fps is going to be so close most people wouldn't be able to tell a difference. I know some will argue this, but the biggest difference will be in gun weight. Typically a 12g will weigh a little more, but a heavier gun also helps absorb recoil. Some will argue that a 20g will do just about anything a 12g will do, and that is true to a point.
    The long and short is 12g is much more common in any clay target shooting game..even among youth shooters. IMHO, start looking at 12g shotguns and buy her some 7/8oz loads.

Top Bottom