• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LegatoRedrivers

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    So, I did my taxes myself last year. Not a big problem, but apparently I made a boo-boo on state. I sent in my payment in February, and they sent me a letter back stating, "Hey, you said you owed $108, but according to our records, you actually owed $145. Here's the breakdown, etc."

Whoopsie! My bad! Must have had an off day. Just to make sure I got everything paid on time, I confirmed that they actually cashed my check, and called the number to pay the difference. Payed $37 through their automated system, got my confirmation number, everything was groovy.

Until today, when I get a letter stating that I now owe them $120, including late fees. :xmad:

I have confirmation from my bank that they cashed my check for $108, and I have the confirmation number from their automated system that I payed $37. $108+$37=$145, right? :dunno:

And they close at 4:30, so I can't even call them until tomorrow. And of course I have to call them while I'm at work. Who knows what I'm going to have to go through to get this figured out? :wallbash:

EDIT: Just did the maths on the forms they sent me, and Tax-Credits=$108.00 So they never entered the $108.00 check into the system. And I have confirmation from my bank they cashed it on 3-21-2012.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    IRS sent my dad a check once for a few thousand, claiming he had made a mistake, but, that if they later determined the mistake was theirs, he would be required to pay it back plus interest and penalties. He just sent it back. Admiral Ackbar: "It's a trap!"

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    IRS sent my dad a check once for a few thousand, claiming he had made a mistake, but, that if they later determined the mistake was theirs, he would be required to pay it back plus interest and penalties. He just sent it back. Admiral Ackbar: "It's a trap!"

Had the same thing happen years ago. The IRS sent me a check for a few grand and paid me interests on it, saying I over paid. A year later they finally fixed their error but not charge me any interest.

Top Bottom