• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Myself, my wife, and a couple of somewhat new shooter friends were up at Roush Lake yesterday and my new shooter friends got a good (bad) first hand lesson in why the rules are what they are.

We were down around stalls 28/30 and while my wife was shooting I looked over and saw a guy with his gun sideways on one of the picnic tables and gave him a good "Sir, could you point that down range please" and as I do I see the guy in 25 holding his arm. I asked him if he's alright, and he tells me he thinks he just got shot. Took a quick look and went into the booth to notify Dale (the RSO) and the shot fellow came in right after me.

After it was looked into a bit, the guy who had his gun sideways had just had a jam, and instead of laying it on the shooting bench pointed down range to try to clear it, he brought it back to the picnic table and pointed it sideways. Apparently just before I had asked him to turn it, it had done this:

rlaketable.jpg

From there we're not sure of the exact path, but they think it either bounced off of the ceiling or part of the metal post bracket and a fragment (it was from a .38) caught the guy in 25's arm, who thankfully just had a small cut as a result. This may be where it hit the ceiling:

rlake23.jpg

Dale went out and secured everything and took them all into the booth for the incident report and later on one of the Sheriff's arrived to take a report, not really sure where it's going from there but the guy who got shot was pretty understandably upset by the whole thing.

I know it's probably preaching to the choir folks, but please remember, always keep your weapons pointed in a safe direction....ESPECIALLY if they've just malfunctioned! That could have easily been fatal yesterday..and I'm pretty grateful it wasn't anyone in my party as it easily could have been.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I've seen a couple ranges I've shot at have all kinds of holes in the top of the shelter structure, in baffling, through walls of shelters, and a time or two into the floor (my favorite is the sign at one of the 50 yard shelters @ Tri-County up by North Webster, it has been shot a few times...unfortunately, most likely on purpose). I don't really get it because even when I was new to shooting, safety was always #1. I know lapses happen but we've always got to try keeping it as safe as possible.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Pretty sure his name is Dale...or I've been calling him the wrong thing for awhile and feel stupid.

While I don't know a Dale either, there has been a new face there on some weekends this summer. I don't know his name, but I have only saw him there either helping Fred or Bob.

brcrbn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Thankfully the injury was minor and thanks CTS for letting us know about it.

I will ask about it next time I am there, which is probably today.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Good job being aware of your surroundings. Unfortunately, we can't always catch everything at just the right time. Most of us have seen some pretty amazing behavior from people at a range at some point. Many times its something that you wouldn't think would take any real training to know better. Glad it wasn't more serious.

I'm just wondering if the RO has a ban hammer and if he used it.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I only know a Bob and Fred there, too.
    But I haven't been in a while.

Been a few changes then... :)

There was a " Steve " there a while back. Maybe he is still there a particular day of the week, but I haven't seen him forever...

Now days it's Fred that's there the VAST majority of the weekends... Bob works mostly during the week.

There has been a younger guy there the past few months on occasion... I don't know his name and also have always seen him come after opening hours when it has been crazy busy to help Bob or Fred.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    "crazy busy" is the appropriate term.

Yea, and it's been that way quite often this summer....

I just about always take the wife and son when I go, and we won't even consider going unless we hit it at opening time. Come about 11:00 to noon, it's too crowded for my comfort anymore...

It's not the yahoo that I see being unsafe I worry too much about ( you can always correct them ), it's the potential one a few stalls down I can't observe...

When it gets that busy, I really feel for the RO's... They do their best, but IMHO, one RO watching 30+ lanes and also checking in new shooters isn't enough...

brcrbn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Yea, and it's been that way quite often this summer.... I have noticed an increase in the sheer numbers as well, which really is a good thing...

I just about always take the wife and son when I go, and we won't even consider going unless we hit it at opening time. Come about 11:00 to noon, it's too crowded for my comfort anymore... Nothing like the smell of gun powder in the morning and I am of the same opinion.. On the weekend, if I am not on the road to Roush by 9 at the latest, I typically will not go that day.

It's not the yahoo that I see being unsafe I worry too much about ( you can always correct them ), it's the potential one a few stalls down I can't observe... I always try to get on the very end if possible..

When it gets that busy, I really feel for the RO's... They do their best, but IMHO, one RO watching 30+ lanes and also checking in new shooters isn't enough...
    I agree with that 100%, which is the exact reason I resist going during "peak" hours.

Sounds like we have probably seen each other there but did not know it... I typically have a black baseball hat on shooting on one of the ends of the pistol bays... it really is a nice place to plink away.

M. Rockatansky

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2012
    Quite scary. Too many are cavalier with their weapons and that's the one safety rule that seems to be ignored the most, thinking that they can point at anything as long as something isn't 5 yards in front of it. Glad to hear there were no serious injuries, but that guy needs more than rebuffed for nearly shooting someone. Probably needs his balls toed so he doesn't forget it.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    There has been a younger guy there the past few months on occasion... I don't know his name and also have always seen him come after opening hours when it has been crazy busy to help Bob or Fred.

That guy is Andy, he showed up yesterday as well. Also I just spoke with a friend who goes up there, and apparently I've been calling Fred Dale for the last year or so... :-(

Also, in response to the post above, he didn't nearly shoot someone, he DID shoot someone. I spoke with the guy who got hit a bit, and I think the Sherrif is leaving it up to him if he wants to press any charges, but the DNR also has their own proceedures on incidents. I hope he's at least banned awhile, it's a sucky way to learn a lesson, I hope it's seared in his mind now.

it's amazing how fast something like that can happen, if the guy hadn't gotten shot we might not have even known it had happened.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Was he fragged or shot? I understand he was not following the rules and he should face the consequences but doesn't sound like he was shot. But he was negligent none-the-less. Take the appropriate training and prove that you can follow the rules.

But I don't understand pressing the issue for getting hit with frag. It happens at a range. Shouldn't have in this instance. Pay for the damages and make an example out of the guy. Not sure what else I think right now. It's difficult to say how I would feel if I was shot or hit with frag from a negligent shooter. I have been hit with lead but always splatter or fragments.

Curious to know what was found out definitively. Quite a bit of damage to the table top.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    He got fragged, not shot.
    25 took a chunk bounced off the ceiling of 23.

.....and in the process, 25 broke safety rules as well.

Throw the fragger and fraggee both out.

Top Bottom