• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    I'm not done but getting close.Need to run my ground wire and my wires from the charge controller to the batteries.

1000w of panels,80w Outback charge controller , Xantrex 1512 and 600amp hr battery bank. Small but next time we have an outage I'll have some lights and a couple other utilities.

http://i917.photobucket.com/albums/ad20/donlone5/solar049.jpg

http://i917.photobucket.com/albums/ad20/donlone5/solar047.jpg

http://i917.photobucket.com/albums/ad20/donlone5/solar046.jpg

Thanks for the help shibumiseeker .

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    I had it to do over,I would have bought some different panels.I didnt do enough reading,though I did a lot.Should have went with a 24v system minimum.Been nice to had 220v.The way I went would cost me double to get the extra voltage. 2 inverters and 2 charge controllers. Lesson learned. Still get alot out of it though

IndianasFinest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Salem
    Looks good ! Could you give us an example of what your system would be able to power ? I hope to some day be able to run my entire home via solar power :) One can dream......

Indyrich

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    NE INDY
    Interesting project. So how do you determine what is powered? Is the system hooked in to certain breakers in your main panel? Or do you have special outlets wired to that system?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Glad to have helped, man!

My thinking on my AE system has changed over the years. I'm evolving my system to redundancy rather than size and my next project is to essentially double what I have but in seperate systems powering seperate circuits with the ability to switch all circuits to either system as needed.

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    Way to go! I wish we could afford to have a backup like that. I really would like to do a turbine and solar, our house is set up with great south facing roof and a normaly good east -west cross wind. That initial investment is the stopper, and the fact I know how to change a light bulb, and thats about it when it comes to electricity.

Ramen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Looks good ! Could you give us an example of what your system would be able to power ? I hope to some day be able to run my entire home via solar power :) One can dream......

My knowledge of this is limited, but I am pretty sure I am starting to get an understanding of how this kwh stuff works. :D

It looks like he could run a refrigerator (chest freezer on a timer 100-400 watt-hours per day depending on model of freezer), a lower wattage microwave (lots of power, but doesn't run for long), laptop, modem/router, high efficiency ceiling fans, and enough CFL/LCD lights to get by. In really bright summer weather he could probably run an 800-900 watt window AC unit for an hour or two at a time, just would probably have to shut other things off or it would strain his inverter.

With his setup, a wood stove, and a solar water heater I would cancel my electricity, assuming I have my math right.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    My knowledge of this is limited, but I am pretty sure I am starting to get an understanding of how this kwh stuff works. :D

It looks like he could run a refrigerator (chest freezer on a timer 100-400 watt-hours per day depending on model of freezer), a lower wattage microwave (lots of power, but doesn't run for long), laptop, modem/router, high efficiency ceiling fans, and enough CFL/LCD lights to get by. In really bright summer weather he could probably run an 800-900 watt window AC unit for an hour or two at a time, just would probably have to shut other things off or it would strain his inverter.

With his setup, a wood stove, and a solar water heater I would cancel my electricity, assuming I have my math right.

I run my entire house on a little over half of his setup in solar. When the sun shines and I don't need A/C I generate all the power I need and ship some off to the shop which has a battery and inverter but no solar.

bigun283

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2010
    I'm interested in putting up grid tie system at my house so I can sell some energy back. I've just started researching this but I was interested to see where you bought everything. Did you buy most of it as a package or did you piece it together?

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0

You're forgetting the amperage requirements and conversion loss.
    If I recall my formulae correctly a 900 watt ac unit would be about 8 amps of 120v AC electricity. To get this from a 12V DC battery would require a minimum of 75-80 amps, factor in the loss from the inverter and your looking at about 85-90 amps. This would be 90Ah to run the window unit for an hour, the OP said he had 600Ah of batteries available.
    Again, I am just going off the top of my head and I could be seriously wrong:dunno:; if so I'm sure someone will correct me in which case I'll delete the post.:n00b:

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    You're forgetting the amperage requirements and conversion loss.
    If I recall my formulae correctly a 900 watt ac unit would be about 8 amps of 120v AC electricity. To get this from a 12V DC battery would require a minimum of 75-80 amps, factor in the loss from the inverter and your looking at about 85-90 amps. This would be 900Ah to run the window unit for an hour, the OP said he had 600Ah of batteries available. Not to mention the cable size needed to safely connect that to the inverter and the other troubles associated with deep drains on the batteries.
    Again, I am just going off the top of my head and I could be seriously wrong:dunno:; if so I'm sure someone will correct me in which case I'll delete the post.:n00b:

You're only off an order of magnitude...

Top Bottom