Someone stole my bike, feeling uncomfortable leaving my home.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Dude.....you left a bike unlocked in a college town. That's just asking for it.

Lock your **** up.

And don't worry about people casing your place or whatever. Guaranteed they just spotted it when they were roaming the neighborhood and snagged it. It's a crime of opportunity, not an Oceans 11 movie.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...Guaranteed they just spotted it when they were roaming the neighborhood and snagged it. It's a crime of opportunity, not an Oceans 11 movie.

Maybe, but animals don't often forget where they got their last meal. And they communicate with other animals. A theft that was gotten away with in a neighborhood often brings more.

Do we think that the homeless came to Btown by chance? Lets not be naive here, they got the word of all the free stuff combined with lots of easy marks.

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Maybe, but animals don't often forget where they got their last meal. And they communicate with other animals. A theft that was gotten away with in a neighborhood often brings more.

Do we think that the homeless came to Btown by chance? Lets not be naive here, they got the word of all the free stuff combined with lots of easy marks.

Like any organism, they migrate to an environment that provides for their needs. And Bloomington has been actively creating an environment that is welcoming for them.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    An oceans 11 movie it is not, and i could care less about the bike. The main issue here is that the bike wasnt visible from the road, and i live on a dead end. So no way was some guy just walking by and saw my bike. He or she had to of been in my yard walking around my house.

if you were a thief checking doors and windows of what you assume is an uninhabitted space, would a bike not be a good measure of my security?
    i had probably $350 in the bike. Would be an easy 100 dolla bill to a thief. He almost certainly didnt start his mission intending to steal my bike.

Im about to head back to the gym. Im taking a friends car until i get some cams up so it looks like someone is here. Double checking all guns and electronics are secured.

Im still very much considering trying to bait this person.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Another thought, perhaps strange. But, I would not be surprised if one of my neighbors jacked it just to get rid of it because it is so loud.

the only person that couldve seen the bike was my neighbor through one of his windows. And i know he hated it.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Another thought, perhaps strange. But, I would not be surprised if one of my neighbors jacked it just to get rid of it because it is so loud.

the only person that couldve seen the bike was my neighbor through one of his windows. And i know he hated it.

You need to get out of the city, my friend.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    If you live in BL between the bypass on the north and Winslow on the south and within 4 blocks east and west of College Walnut, OR around the mall retail area on the east side of town or the Whitehall plaza retail area on the west side, then I would ‘t be surprised.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Dude.....you left a bike unlocked in a college town. That's just asking for it.

Lock your **** up.

And don't worry about people casing your place or whatever. Guaranteed they just spotted it when they were roaming the neighborhood and snagged it. It's a crime of opportunity, not an Oceans 11 movie.

And why couldn't it have not been an "Ocean's 8" movie? Misogynist?:xmad:

:laugh:

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Threads like this make me glad I live in the woods.

We really enjoy our remote, rustic location, too. But I am concerned about burglars taking advantage of the privacy we enjoy (it happened to the prior owners).

I agree with the others who think this was purely a crime of opportunity, even if they did have to snoop around a little to see it.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    What sits behind your property?

North- Angry old guy seperated by medium thick woods line
    South- somewhat less angry old guy seperated by fence
    West- middle aged couple ive never spoken too but their house is practically made of glass so i see them all the time, also a medium thick wood line
    East- the street i live on, also my front yard. The neighbors on that side seem nice. And keep to themselves.

gunsisgood

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 19, 2010
    Maine
    Cameras and cable locks are your friend. Everything of value in my yard(grill, smoker, lawn tools, ladders whatever) is cable locked to an immovable object. Will not stop the determined thief but works well for the rest. Yes its sad, but these are the times we live in:(

LizR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2017
    Henry County
    Get an amazon camera.

Wednesday I got home around 6:30 pm, my motorized bike was leaning against a shed in my back yard. It hadnt even been out very long as i had started working on it again ( since i wrecked it i had neglected to fix anything on it, or even touch it for that matter)

anyway, i remember pulling up in my truck and seeing my bike. I ran in the house grabbed some head phones and headed for the gym.

when i got back, about 7:50/8:00 O'clock. My bike was gone. I know i shouldnt have left it out, but i live in a nice neighborhood.. never see any weird cars or strangers roaming.

the police came and everything. I didnt expect anything to come of it, i just wanted it on report for the records.

I am upset about the bike. But now I feel like i cant leave my house empty. I was barely gone an hour and the bike disappeared.
    Was someone casing my house? Will they be back for more goodies? Im not sure what i should do. I cant afford a camera system, or any real security right now. And my house is often left vacant as me and my lady both have day jobs.

Im considering leaving another bike out near where the last one was and staking out over the course of a week or so. So if he shows up again i can call the police and see something happen to the criminal. I cant think of anything else I can do.

Ive already been through all the slums and college housing areas. Another interesting point is that the gas tank was completely empty. I had just drained it. it would have had to of been walked out or picked up by a vehicle.

Not sleeping well knowing someone is sneaking around my yard in the daylight. How many times has he been back there at night?
    the bike wasnt even visible from the road.. and I live at a dead end.

I know its just a bike, but its the fact that someone was in my yard.. Im sure ill get over it eventually but right now I dont feel comfortable.

Amazon cloud cams are great. You can watch live from your phone or computer. They run about $100 each but you have options for saving recorded clips. Worth looking into. I had a ton of outside things stolen from my house out in the country and this gives me a little better feeling about not being at home. Nothing taken since I have gotten these.

Top Bottom