• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jazzy1993

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Lake County
    So I have a detached garage. I have a padlock on the outside of the service door and a regular locking door handle. I was in the backyard the other day and decided to see how the lock is holding up to the weather.
    I noticed that somebody had attempted to saw off the padlock. Not sure when it occurred, but still gives me an uneasy feeling. Just thinking that somebody was outside in my backyard taking the time to saw the lock kinda creeps me out.
    I wonder what scared the person away, I have sensor lights out back and two dogs.

They said that there have been break-ins in my older Munster neighborhood so I will be on extra high alert.

Last edited:

Dj15802

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Avon, IN
    I had someone break into my truck a few months back. I can't even explain the rage I felt. They only got a few CDs and some loose change but I still was as mad as if the had gotten something of value. It was the principle that someone was on my property!

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    So I have a detached garage. I have a padlock on the outside of the service door and a regular locking door handle. I was in the backyard the other day and decided to see how the lock is holding up to the weather.
    I noticed that somebody had attempted to saw off the padlock. Not sure when it occurred, but still gives me an uneasy feeling. Just thinking that somebody was outside in my backyard taking the time to saw the lock kinda creeps me out.
    I wonder what scared the person away, I have sensor lights out back and two dogs.

They said that there have been break-ins in my older Munster neighborhood so I will be on extra high alert.
    Time to put up some motion detector lights around the garage.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    There has been a lot of "Walkers" in my area lately. Those you do not recognize from the neighborhood that walk and look. Next thing you know, stuff is missing.
    Thieves know the jails are a revolving door. If they catch a case it is a long and drawn out affair giving them time to bolt if they make bail or get the "OR" due to over crowding.
    The folks in my area are taking on a new way of dealing with this. More than a few total beat downs in the area. Lady down the street caught some idiots getting in her SUV and wore one out with a bat while the other broke and ran. They lived close and the LEO/parents were alerted.......waste of time on both counts.

Be careful but remain SA. Thieving A$$hats are everywhere in every area.

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    Train your dogs to eat burglars! Seriously, you might want to wire up some kind of alarm to alert you when someone is messing with your garage and give you a chance of catching him. Electric fence chargers can be a lot of fun.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    The break ins are everywhere. In the last 6 months my dad's business (in Logansport) has been broke into twice. Last tiem the ballsy pricks bent a metal door in half and got in. All they stole were two pairs of rental skates and some candy, but the point that they were at a door easily over a half hour to bend it on a busy road says something of the times.

It is frustrating that people work so hard to own stuff, just for some ****bag to steal it. I truly feel that shooting a thief should almost be mandatory. They are good for nothing, PERIOD!

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Funny thing is, 80% of the padlocks out there can be picked faster than they can be sawed (some almost as fast as they can be cut with a bolt cutter) and it leaves virtually no evidence of forced entry (unless you engage a forensic lock expert).

The price of a lock should be related to the cost of the contents it secures.

Being a little creeped out is a good thing. Keeps you on your toes in condition yellow.

Curls & Swirls

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Morgan County
    What makes me so mad is that they usually do way more $$$ in damage than what they get away with. Our truck got broke into (on my birthday) and all they got was a well used leather jacket and I think I had a $1 in cash in my purse and they may have used my credit cards but I had them cancelled asap. Luckily my drivers license expired that day. The damage they did to the door handle on the truck cost us upwards of a couple of hundred $$.

Sticks

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    NE Indy
    Pretty bold of them to keep working with the sensor lights on. It is a bad feeling when your place gets robbed, it must be even more creepy when you are actually there. I would start leaving the outdoor lights on all the time.

Crappiepro

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    North East Vigo County
    Thats crazy, them coming and using a saw. That would take some time to get through a padlock. It may have been in the day time maybe.
    I've been hearing more and more about them coming and robbing your home in the middle of the day. I live in a rural area and where no one's around and alot of people are working during the day. I really worry about it more than ever.

jazzy1993

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Lake County
    Funny thing is, 80% of the padlocks out there can be picked faster than they can be sawed (some almost as fast as they can be cut with a bolt cutter) and it leaves virtually no evidence of forced entry (unless you engage a forensic lock expert).

The price of a lock should be related to the cost of the contents it secures.

Being a little creeped out is a good thing. Keeps you on your toes in condition yellow.

Yeah, I went out and bought a new (more expensive) stronger lock. In reality, bolt cutters would have saved the idiot a lot of time. I was considering putting an additional lock on the inside, but what happens when the power goes out and I can't get in my garage...

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    If you want to get really creative, you can have a structure welded to contain the lock so that you can reach it with a key but can't reach it with a saw or bolt cutters. Details would have to vary with your particular door.

Top Bottom