• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    When I was stationed at Fort Campbell, I had a beautiful 1966 Chevy Impala. Completely restored to original condition, except for the glass pack dual exaust. Oh, and air shocks in the back. ;) Still had the functional factory AM radio in the dash. Incredibly easy to break into my car with a coat hanger, though.

Shortly after buying it, I replaced the AM radio with an AM/FM/Cassette that matched the factory configuration mounting holes, so I wouldn't have to hack up the dash. I'm sure you don't know the configuration that exists in that vehicle under that dash, so I'll tell you. There's a hard plastic A/C vent directly under the radio, and it is a multi-hour, gigantic pain in the fourth-point-of-contact to replace that radio. It's like level 10,000 of Tetris to get the old one out and get a new one in. But I did it, and I kept the original AM radio.

Apparently, one night at Fort Campbell, someone took advantage of my easily popped locks, and tried to steal my radio. They must have come to the realization at some point that this is not as easy a task as it might first appear, so they abandoned their endeavor, but they absconded with the knobs from my radio.

I swear, I would have been less PO'ed if they had taken the the whole damned radio. At least half my work would have been done for me. :D

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    When I was stationed at Fort Campbell, I had a beautiful 1966 Chevy Impala. Completely restored to original condition, except for the glass pack dual exaust. Oh, and air shocks in the back. ;) Still had the functional factory AM radio in the dash. Incredibly easy to break into my car with a coat hanger, though.

Shortly after buying it, I replaced the AM radio with an AM/FM/Cassette that matched the factory configuration mounting holes, so I wouldn't have to hack up the dash. I'm sure you don't know the configuration that exists in that vehicle under that dash, so I'll tell you. There's a hard plastic A/C vent directly under the radio, and it is a multi-hour, gigantic pain in the fourth-point-of-contact to replace that radio. It's like level 10,000 of Tetris to get the old one out and get a new one in. But I did it, and I kept the original AM radio.

Apparently, one night at Fort Campbell, someone took advantage of my easily popped locks, and tried to steal my radio. They must have come to the realization at some point that this is not as easy a task as it might first appear, so they abandoned their endeavor, but they absconded with the knobs from my radio.

I swear, I would have been less PO'ed if they had taken the the whole damned radio. At least half my work would have been done for me. :D

Had some D-bag try to break into my '74 GMC to steal the radio too... Attempted to pry the locks out of the brand new, straight of the body shop, driver's door instead of using a credit card, stick, blade of grass, etc to pop the lock on the vent window.

I was hyper pissed. Especially since as the years went on I'm pretty sure a high school acquaintance was the culprit. FWIW, 50% of the people I suspected to be responsible for it are now dead. Shot by his half brother in a weirdo love triangle with his half brother's wife turned prostitute.

The cost of the door is way lower than those life decisions. I'll take it.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

Had someone pry the exterior door handle from the 97 Dodge Ram I had at the time to try and steal the radio. The radio had a removeable face plate which they boogered up a bit, but left in the truck. It was like $1000 or so of damage to try and get a $150 radio (if that) and they didn't even get the radio. At the time I suspected a kid that lived close by.

I try my best to never leave anything of value in the car that can be removed. On the other hand I end up constantly having to go back and remove things of value from my wife's vehicle. I keep telling her that the extra 30 seconds to remove things will be a lot less than the pain of having to deal with an issue if something is stolen, etc. Drives me crazy.

Top Bottom