• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Back when I had a garden, it was either the tomato horn worm (which by the way, largemouth bass freaking loved) or chipmunks. I found all sorts of dried up tomato bits in my woodpile from the chipmunks grabbing a cherry mater, and hauling it back to his hiding holes.

voidsherpa

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2015
    NE
    Same thing just started happening to me an the neighbor lady. I've lost 3-4 half eaten tomatoes and her about 8-9. We're thinking coons, so I'm going to throw out a live trap tonight (city limits). What should i bait it with? Only really have ever tried to trap cats and they were all about BBQ pork fat.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Same thing just started happening to me an the neighbor lady. I've lost 3-4 half eaten tomatoes and her about 8-9. We're thinking coons, so I'm going to throw out a live trap tonight (city limits). What should i bait it with? Only really have ever tried to trap cats and they were all about BBQ pork fat.

Maybe tomatoes?

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    Thanks for the ideas. Fence is there, so unless the turtle has been in there for several weeks, there isn't one of those in there.

Could be squirrels going over the fence.

Had to leave town after I posted this, so did a quick spray with Sevens. Will try to go out this evening when things are cooler to see if I see worms. I am also going to try and put the bird netting I had over the blueberries over the tomatoes. Makes harvest a PITA, but beats having nothing available.

voidsherpa, did you get anything?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    No idea.

On an completely unrelated note, if you happen to find a salt shaker near your garden it's definitely not mine.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    No idea.

On an completely unrelated note, if you happen to find a salt shaker near your garden it's definitely not mine.

Well, if you are my neighbor with the Yellow and Red sports cars, the truck, the IMPD car AND then the wife's car, we should talk ... :)

Mice are an interesting concept. Never thought of them. Or chipmunks -- which we have as well.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Bringing this thread back to life as SOMETHING stole my first tomato of the season last night. BehindBlueI's if you ate half of it, at least leave the salt shaker next time!

Just put up new fencing tonight! Small 1/4" mesh and bird netting over most of the top. (I ran out of time; will finish later-- no more are close to ripening). bottom 1-2 inches are bent flat outward and held down to the ground. 1-2 feet of extra is up against the house on each end, each with 2 stakes holding the mesh against the house.

I had tried the powder you put down to keep rodents away (specifically says squirrels and chipmunks). Ha -- no help.

Anyone try a sonic device? Hang slinkys around their fence?

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Bringing this thread back to life as SOMETHING stole my first tomato of the season last night. BehindBlueI's if you ate half of it, at least leave the salt shaker next time!

Just put up new fencing tonight! Small 1/4" mesh and bird netting over most of the top. (I ran out of time; will finish later-- no more are close to ripening). bottom 1-2 inches are bent flat outward and held down to the ground. 1-2 feet of extra is up against the house on each end, each with 2 stakes holding the mesh against the house.

I had tried the powder you put down to keep rodents away (specifically says squirrels and chipmunks). Ha -- no help.

Anyone try a sonic device? Hang slinkys around their fence?

Only cure for rodents is death.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    Was mowing last night and looking at my maters. noticed 2 red jewells eaten from the bottom up. Stopped the mower and watched and witnessed a female box turtle fleeing the mater patch. She went for a ride.

Top Bottom