• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lpherr

Occupied
    I was running errands today, and as usual, I was also running behind.
    I was at Costco, pushing my cart back to the corral, when this older gentleman came up to me.
    He was talking fairly fast, and sort of monotone. He flashed some dog tags, and gave me his name and rank.
    He caught me off guard, and he was talking fast enough, that it was hard to keep up. Almost like it was a script, or practiced maybe.
    He claimed to be from Indy, and was moving back up to the area. He stopped for gas and someone stole his credit card info
    and ordered $1100 worth of tv's from Amazon, and they locked his account. CC, bank? He didn't say, that I caught.
    He said he needed to get his prescription (gave a name for it) and said it was for seizures. He borrowed $32 from his daughter, and
    when he got to Wal-Mart, the price had went up to $40. Said he was trying to raise $8 to get his medicine, and he isn't a bum, then
    pointed to a car and said that's my car.
    Now, $8 bucks isn't much, but I don't carry cash on me anymore, since this pandemcrap started, so I apologized and let him know I didn't have any cash.
    He abruptly said "I'm sorry for bothering you" and walked off.
    This all transpired in less than 2 minutes... he talked pretty fast.
    Showing dog tags and stating your name and rank, even if it matches the tags, doesn't prove those tags are yours, correct?
    Speaking quickly, and monotone seems a little odd to me also.
    I've probably left things out, things I probably didn't catch, but does this seem like some sort of a scam?

I feel really bad that I wasn't able to toss him the cash, just in case it was legitimate.
    In hindsight, even though I was behind schedule, I could have offered to meet him at Wal-Mart, and pay the $8 at the pharmacy.
    I truly hope, that if he was for real, that he was able to get his medication.
    This is going bother me now.

Sorry for being long winded, I just keep trying to process it.

El Conquistador

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Jan 28, 2019
    far from here
    A few years ago I was staying downtown Indy for some meetings I was going to dinner wearing a coat and tie was approached by a guy. First words out of his mouth was I am not a bum but my daughter was in the hospital and he came downtown to pick something up when he came out his car was towed. He said he needed $15 to have enough money to get his car out of impound. Me having heard these stories before said I didn't have any cash. Now fast forward 3 or 4 hours walking with a friend and I had changed clothes when the same guy came up to me and said I am not a bum. But he was at a union meeting downtown and came out of his meeting and his car was towed, he needed $20 to get his car out of impound. I started laughing, this guy and my friend looked at me like I was crazy. I told the guy a few hours ago his daughter was in the hospital and he only needed $15 then. He looked at me and said have a good day and walked off quickly.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I had a guy hit me up in a parking lot in Mishawaka at Polito's once. He was from Bloomington, came up for the ND game and needed gas money to get home, yada yada... The same guy hit me up a few weeks later at Dunham's. I laughed and asked what he was doing up from Bloomington again... he denied it was him and left.

Lpherr

Occupied
    I had a guy hit me up in a parking lot in Mishawaka at Polito's once. He was from Bloomington, came up for the ND game and needed gas money to get home, yada yada... The same guy hit me up a few weeks later at Dunham's. I laughed and asked what he was doing up from Bloomington again... he denied it was him and left.
    Was he driving a light blue car?

r3126

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    Indy westside
    Happened to me at Avon Costco a couple of weeks ago. Woman, frantic (?) came up an asked for 8 or 9 dollars for formula for her daughter (who, she said, was with her husband across the parking lot). Asked to see her Costco card (I am suspicious by nature). She called me am unprintable name and left). Came out of Costco about 45 minutes later and there she was hitting up a couple. I walked by and mentioned to them to ask to see her Costco card. The names she called me this time, I don't even know what they mean.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Had a guy approach us as we were coming out of Chuys in Clarksville, said he was trying to get home to Indianapolis and could we help him out. I said “sure brother, just go over that overpass right there, take 65 north for an hour and a half or so, and you can’t miss it”. I’ve never seen a panhandler more confused! He said nothing else, just turned and walked away.

And if you’re ever in Pidgeon Forge or gatlinburg and are approached by a guy with dark hair and kinda talks like Gomer Pyle, tell him to eff off, I’ve called that bum out 3 times in recent years.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Anyone walking up to me in a parking lot (or at a gas station, etc) that I don't know gets an extended arm and if they keep coming they get a verbal warning to backup.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Anyone can have dog tags made....but even if they are real, who cares?

It's a scam and yes, even vets scam. Heck, it's an E4 tradition.

I hold my hand up in the universal stop talking sign and say: "I can't help you" and go on my way. Believe it or not, I feel no need to listen.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Anyone can have dog tags made....but even if they are real, who cares?

It's a scam and yes, even vets scam. Heck, it's an E4 tradition.

I hold my hand up in the universal stop talking sign and say: "I can't help you" and go on my way. Believe it or not, I feel no need to listen.

Confirmed. This happened to me years ago at the Eastside Btown Speedway station. Had to back a troll away with those words. It didn't work to start with. Then increasing volume and adding some profanity got the message across.

Top Bottom