• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mojo2530

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Cedar Lake
    i live on a middle of no where road with a couple spread out farm houses. both my vehicles are parked out of sight back by the barn. at about 9:30 i heard a knock on my front door, i open it slightly to find some strange looking kid ( tattoos on his neck and dressed like a thug)asking for directions to the next town over. he seemed real figity and was finishing my sentences as i was telling when and where to turn. i somehow dont think he needed directions at all. i think maybe he just wanted to see if anyone was home like he was looking for an easy target.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Every time I hear a story like that, I want to install some sort of a deadbolt that prevents the door from being opened more than two inches until it's manually retracted. Kind of like the old security chain, but something that will actually stand up to a kick from an home invader.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    You are a braver man than I. I don't open my door unless the person has called in advance. That leaves them with two options, leave or kick the door down. Option two would not be well received....

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    They have something like that. It's a bar that goes in the floor in front of your door. Can't remember what it's called though.

mojo2530

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Cedar Lake
    alarm system and two dogs one barks at any noise the other tends to wait quietly but is much meaner. all bite no bark i guess youd say. yes we are definetly on alert tonight.

Armed Eastsider

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Every time I hear a story like that, I want to install some sort of a deadbolt that prevents the door from being opened more than two inches until it's manually retracted. Kind of like the old security chain, but something that will actually stand up to a kick from an home invader.

Those damn chains are worthless. Why go to the trouble of installing a chain, and use one as flimsy and thin as they always are? I dont even think most of those chains would stand up to a weak kick honestly.

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    We live just off of 41 probably not to far from you. We were burglarized on a Sat. during the day while we were at work about 3 years ago. Every now and then we would get a knock on the door and when I would answer they would ask for directions.
    Now if I get a unexpected knock and I don't recognize the vehicle I don't answer and I grab a 12Ga welcoming party and wait quietly.

hickuleas

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    deep in the woods
    You are probably correct about visitors intentions. I also live in the country and like having the ability to know when people are coming up driveway or walking towards house. Good Luck

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008

some have em!

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    When I lived in the country, a couple times we'd have strangers knoock on the door. I would stand back a few feet with my FS 92 while my wife opened the door. If it was a problem, she was to clear the way for me. Smart? I dunno, at least it was a plan. Other times I just wouldn't answer the door.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I live in a community, with security guards driving around in the neighborhood, & my truck has had it's read bumper & tailgate stolen. I answer my door with a gun always

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    Glad everything went ok. I don't think answering your door at night from an unannounced visitor with a gun in your hand is out of the ordinary.

Brick House

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Plainfield IN.
    If someone I dont know knocks or rings my doorbell, I dont answer it and position myself upstairs where I can see the front door, and stay quiet, so they think no one is home. I have a loft so I can see downstairs, so if they decide to break in they will experience death from above.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    If I lived out in the country, I think I'd leave a handful of spent shotgun shells scattered around the porch and some obliterated targets strategically positioned near the entry points to the property. This would be along with more conventional preps of course. If any BGs did case the place, the recorded video could be very entertaining.

Top Bottom