Son had To Draw On Armed Fugitive Today!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indyal

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    If anyone sees a news article on this, would you provide info here. My google search today did not turn up results

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Excellent outcome. Also somewhat refutes the argument that when the police show up you should disarm yourself.

It does in this case, I asked him if they held guns on him or something but no they didn't...his mom was on phone and dispatch asked what suspect looked like. She said my son has a gun on him and the suspect has a pistol on him......dispatch said the suspect has gun on your son?.....she explained again so dispatch got it....then dispatch my son could even hear it saying 'We need multiple units to the scene now!" (or something like that)....by that time my sons wife had her Glock on the guy also, but when she saw the 2 SUV units fly down the lane doors open and guns out she got scared and holstered and went back into the house. after cuffs were on they got statement from my son and one officer literally shook his hand and thanked him! I think they had been around all night and just glad they got him so they could go home and sleep...LOL. They didn't even ask if he a carry permit, which he does but it was private property so.... This was all local Sheriff and also local city police which surprised me since it was so far away but they had been brought in for the hunt.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Thats 13...this was on 15 right near the bridge over Eel River

Wow, I am through this area quite frequently at night and know exactly where this is. In fact, I just went up 15 from Wabash to Warsaw last night about midnight. Really affirms my decision to keep a pistol in a holster within easy reach attached to the console in my car, in addition to the pistol I carry on my person.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    I do dearly enjoy the failures of criminals, and the victory of the citizen. Now, with any luck, the two criminals may enjoy a long, unscheduled vacation from the rest of society.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Also shows the risk of leaving unsecured weapons in one's car.

The news article states: "the [stolen] vehicle contained two handguns," and implies that they were the guns when it says, "Both firearms were located on the suspect and recovered as evidence."

MrMr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2019
    Indianapolis
    Wow. That’s a hell of a story. I love my son so much, so I can imagine how you must have felt. An amazing combination of scared and proud as hell. My son is younger than yours, but I have started teaching him SAFETY and shooting. I think just getting them to respect the safety and rules. Then getting comfortable and proficient is a great way to break the stereotypes. They are a powerful tool that demands respect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    ...Also somewhat refutes the argument that when the police show up you should disarm yourself.

Depends on the police and the location.

I feel like in the rural midwest, we get cut a lot more slack that those in the big city.

I had an incident at my house years ago where the police were called and arrived to find me, my dad, and both of my brothers armed to the point that we could have joined up with the Wolverines in Red Dawn. Nobody in uniform batted an eye at us.:dunno:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ...requiring lawful citizens to disarm and leave their guns in their car before entering a gun free zone.

Yep, that too.

(Although in this situation the car was stolen from the victim's driveway if the facts in the article are correct.)

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Wow. That’s a hell of a story. I love my son so much, so I can imagine how you must have felt. An amazing combination of scared and proud as hell. My son is younger than yours, but I have started teaching him SAFETY and shooting. I think just getting them to respect the safety and rules. Then getting comfortable and proficient is a great way to break the stereotypes. They are a powerful tool that demands respect.

Yup. He called and very calmly in the conversation told me he had made a citizens arrest...I laughed and said what did you do? As the story unfolded I of course knew he was ok or wouldn't of been talking to me. But it did scare me that it could of had a different outcome. My son is on this forum but don't think he visits too much anymore, he is 31 and has been shooting since I put him behind a SKS at around 5 years old. Both of my sons shoot but the oldest in this case is hardcore. probably has shot well over 20,000 rounds through his Glock that he pretty much modified to his liking, he literally carries 24/7 and I seldom carried until he started doing it. Very proud of both of them and how my oldest handled this. The first safety thing I can think of telling them even even before shooting was asking them what is the most dangerous gun? They would come up with different answers but never the one I required them to know.....finally after years I asked if they wanted to know and of course they grinned and said YES! The answer is the most dangerous gun in a gun unloaded.......they asked how can that be?.....I said because so many people have been shot by a gun that was "unloaded." Some of those people I have met and heard their horror stories how a best friend was shot by them fooling around with a gun they knew was unloaded, but wasn't. If you treat every gun even a unloaded gun as believing its loaded then you will always handle it safely.....imho. I also told them don't carry and don't point a gun unless your 100% sure you can pull the trigger, don't you ever try and bluff. Glad things turned out well for all parties, hopefully this guy will have time again in jail to re think his life......my son was not bluffing.

MrMr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2019
    Indianapolis
    Yup. He called and very calmly in the conversation told me he had made a citizens arrest...I laughed and said what did you do? As the story unfolded I of course knew he was ok or wouldn't of been talking to me. But it did scare me that it could of had a different outcome. My son is on this forum but don't think he visits too much anymore, he is 31 and has been shooting since I put him behind a SKS at around 5 years old. Both of my sons shoot but the oldest in this case is hardcore. probably has shot well over 20,000 rounds through his Glock that he pretty much modified to his liking, he literally carries 24/7 and I seldom carried until he started doing it. Very proud of both of them and how my oldest handled this. The first safety thing I can think of telling them even even before shooting was asking them what is the most dangerous gun? They would come up with different answers but never the one I required them to know.....finally after years I asked if they wanted to know and of course they grinned and said YES! The answer is the most dangerous gun in a gun unloaded.......they asked how can that be?.....I said because so many people have been shot by a gun that was "unloaded." Some of those people I have met and heard their horror stories how a best friend was shot by them fooling around with a gun they knew was unloaded, but wasn't. If you treat every gun even a unloaded gun as believing its loaded then you will always handle it safely.....imho. I also told them don't carry and don't point a gun unless your 100% sure you can pull the trigger, don't you ever try and bluff. Glad things turned out well for all parties, hopefully this guy will have time again in jail to re think his life......my son was not bluffing.

You nailed everything there perfectly and raised some great boys. I’m about your sons age and my son is 13 now.

One thing I have been doing and that you reinforced in your post was, slow, steady, and consistent lessons = respect and proficiency.

Great job being a Father!

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    Put in kayaks at that bridge again Saturday with one difference-this time I stayed armed the entire trip.

Top Bottom