Son wants to shoot competitively. Where should I go?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Do you need to be a member at MCFG to do FNS?

No. I don't think any of the advertised steel shoots in the state require any membership, club or sanctioning body.

Eye/ear protection, safe gun handling knowledge/practice, willingness to follow range officer commands and entry fee are all that is required.

Last edited:

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    For a slower pace or getting him started, we have silhouette shoots at Riley Conservation Club. Youth shoot at knock down steel target from 25-100 yards, and can use whatever position challenges their skill level. scope or iron sights with rimfire 22 rifle. PM me if interested and I'll get you some additional info.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    And same as Hawkeye said at Danville Conservation Club if it's closer. Silhouette, while not my primary sport, sure is a lot of fun and is usually pretty laid back. Also, cost of entry to the sport is about as low as you'll see.

I'd second Silo as a solid entry option, maybe the best listed.

But don't get the idea that it isn't challenging. The Rifle Silo guys that win much at the National level are some of the very best shooters in the world, in any rifle sport.

-Nate

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I would suggest the 4H shooting programs. A few colleges and universities offer scholarships for international style shooters. Precision shooting can be a great foundation in marksmanship, even if he decides it isn't for him. Many high schools have international style rifle teams, both smallbore and air rifle.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    And same as Hawkeye said at Danville Conservation Club if it's closer. Silhouette, while not my primary sport, sure is a lot of fun and is usually pretty laid back. Also, cost of entry to the sport is about as low as you'll see.

I'd second Silo as a solid entry option, maybe the best listed.

But don't get the idea that it isn't challenging. The Rifle Silo guys that win much at the National level are some of the very best shooters in the world, in any rifle sport.

-Nate
    I've shot these matches, great bunch of people, note that this Standing (no sling) shooting.

Top Bottom