• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe G

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    SE Indiana
    Bitter Cold Triggers Another Round of School Closings | KSTP TV - Minneapolis and St. Paul

Minnesota schools have been closing as well... what was the point of this thread?

Wow! I'm surprised actually.

We lived there for 12 years (company moved us there) - 1999-2011. There were always some rural areas that would cancel but it was usually due to excessive snowfall. Only time they closed due to cold was if the boilers were down or power was out. In the suburban area we were in, we didn't have ONE snow day in 12 years. Not after 18" of snow. Not when it was -20F. I must say, those Norwegians knew how to move snow!! :rockwoot:

Our school district here doesn't have outside recess if it's below freezing. In Minnesota they stopped outside recess if it was below ZERO. All kids brought 2 bags to school - one for books/homework, one for snow pants, snow boots, extra gloves etc. We, as parents, were told to prepare our kids for the weather. If we didn't, the kids couldn't go outside - and that was punishment for the kids as they WANTED to play outside.

I understand cancelling school due to snow/ice/bad roads, but we can prepare our kids for these types of temperatures. Heck, these are the same kids who spend half the day snowboarding or skiing in the same temps.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Drove past TH South HS on my way to class this afternoon. It was deserted. Got to the Center for Workforce Development. One of my classmates walks into class wearing basketball shorts.

That dude is a real goddamned Hoosier! I don't know who these pansies at the VCSC are, cancelling classes just because the daytime high reaches single digits.

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    I'm with you. this didn't keep me at home today.

1656275_10202276823376388_2001031879_n.jpg

Was you in my back seat this morning? That looks just like my mirror/data this morning!

gstanley102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 26, 2012
    Delphi
    I'm bashing adults. The kids don't make these silly decisions.

Strength of character, endurance, coping, etc. are taught in thousands of lessons every day of a kid's life. Kids will live up to...or down to our expectations. We don't seem to expect much these days. Many young people know this and aim to meet those expectations. Not their fault.

These decissions do not benifit the kids.

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Seriously folks, other states are clownin, pointing and laughing, Why are City County offices, busing, schools that have no bus system, etc closed.

Seriously, GA just closed some of their schools because the temp is 36 degrees.

So who is laughing at who?

I wouldn't want my kids on a bus when the wind chills are -20 and below.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The point Expat, is because its cold outside you still have to work,

some situations there are exceptions,

With over 20,000 posts perhaps you could contribute something worth reading or contribute some kind of opinion if certain closings are logical, safe, silly, great idea or something.

Not a post that sent us a link to somewhere else.

Yeah, we don't want to post a link that proves your contentions in the OP were simply silly. You posted that other states were laughing (I assume that was what you were trying to say.) at us for closing schools (specifically listed in your post) during this cold weather. It appears that Minnesota (one of the coldest states in the lower 48) did the same thing. I bet I can find the same things in Wisconsin as well with a simple internet search. But I am sure you don't want that link posted either.

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    I had one day off . The Monday after the real bad storm on a Sunday. Maybe 2 weekends ago, or 3, I can't remember. I've been going out every single day since. Government closing and all the people not going into work is ridiculous. Even on that Monday that we had off due to the storm, our company owner still drove in to make sure everything was heated and electricity was ok and no security issues at work.

What would our grandfathers say?! Did WW2 pause and everyone retreat inside due to the cold? Let alone the Snow...

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    This is the Midwest. We have winter and it gets cold. We deal with it. Unless heavy snow or ice creates impassible conditions there is no real reason to just shut down. People adjust to conditions and get by just fine with a little common sense. People in warmer climates handle constant 90 plus temps with stifling humidity much better than we do because they are used to it. They don't seem to handle cooler weather well though as this story shows...Bangkok Temperature Hits 30-Year Low - ABC News

Wow... Simply amazing.

I hate the hot hot weather personally. This is not ideal but whatever?

I don't get the big deal. We deal with temperatures relatively close to this all the time in winter. Wear your normal clothes but bring a hat or something for your ears and go about your normal routine?

Can anyone REALLY tell the difference between 15 degrees and -15??? It all feels cold to me.

infiremedic07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    Lapel/Noblesville
    I for one am not looking forward to how the kids are going to make all these days up. This mandatory 180 days thing is a bit arbitrary in my mind. I understand that this is how many days that they want school to be in session but to have very little leniency for severe weather patterns such as this when they mandate that schools close for every bit of cold and bad weather. We are looking a nearly two weeks of snow days already this year. And next weeks potential for another bad storm is not making things any easier.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana

Man, I sure hope this teaches them how to cope with difficult circumstances. I did see some interviews on CNN and heard a guy talking about how he was taking people water, gas, his extra towels (something to use as a blanket), and taking some people back to his house. Other people were sheltering inside Home Depot. Heard a phone call from a women that was 8 months pregnant. Someone started a Facebook group for those stranded. The group ended up with her (and her 3 year old) getting rescued by someone from the group. Seems there were some people that could handle things just fine and far too many that couldn't, those would be the people that made a messy situation worse. Those people won't learn a damn thing from being stranded.

Top Bottom