SOPA threatens to shut down the internet...seriously.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Indy East Side
    I think most people are just reading the title and posting their opinions without seeing what is really up with the article and SOPA. I've been reading through this thread and it is really scary!

I think you're not understanding either the seriousness of SOPA or how the takedowns work. Prometheus is not exaggerating when he says INGO ends. All it takes is ONE person complaining to the ISP that a site infringed something and the ISP will be required to kick that site offline. The domain name will be seized, and any IP addresses will be firewalled. That's BEFORE there's any investigation. AND THEN the claimaint can now go after not just the person who posted it but also the website owners. Once ALL OF THAT is settled (years, probably), then the site may be allowed to go back online, but by then the damage is long past done. If you think you can get around this just by "changing servers", well then, you just go ahead and ignore this warning.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    So what group/companies are pushing for this? Congress does not typically just write/pass laws for the sake of passing stuff. It's always becuase one group/industry "needs help" in taking care of it's competition.

12-21-2012 here we come...
    -Jedi

1911 DeadHead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    NWI/ Crown Point
    So what group/companies are pushing for this? Congress does not typically just write/pass laws for the sake of passing stuff. It's always becuase one group/industry "needs help" in taking care of it's competition.

-Jedi

I was wondering the same. Who and what companies in their right minds would back this?!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

-Jedi

Hollywood and the music industry.
    Ever hear that Mellencamp quote? :
    "I think the Internet is the most dangerous thing invented since the atomic bomb. [...] It's destroyed the music business. It's going to destroy the movie business."

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I'm no expert on politics or technology but I do remember seeing a documentary on Bill Gates (Microsoft) and the way the Gov. squeezed money out of them seems similar to the motivation behind this action.

Basically, early in MS's history they started making HUGE profits and not spending any (or little) money on any political candidates or lobbying. The politicians realized that Microsoft needed to have a couple actions started that would have an effect on them so they would have a reason to "support" something. After MS started giving their "protection money" to political parties their lawsuits and political hurdles went away.

If there isn't a threat of something being taken away from you then you don't have a reason to contribute to a group to help you fight it. I realize it isn't that simple but this concept has to be playing a role.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I'm glad to see some big companies standing up to this monstrosity. I hope more join in. Thank you for the links with information on which companies to contact/boycott over this.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Message Subject: SOPA (HR 3261)
    Message Text:
    Dear Congressman Rokita,
    I would like to register in the strongest terms my objection to the above bill. Please do everything in your power to ensure that this bill is defeated permanently.

Thank you very much.

Most sincerely,
    <signed>

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Here's a list of who's for it and against it. Looks like there's a lot of support for this travesty from the usual suspects. The Indiana delegation doesn't seem to be leaning either way, or they have just refused to state their stance.

Who in Congress Supports SOPA and PROTECT-IP? | SOPA Opera

About PROTECT-IP (Preventing Real Online Threats to Economic Creativity and Theft of Intellectual Property Act of 2011) | Who in Congress Supports SOPA and PROTECT-IP? | SOPA Opera

About SOPA (Stop Online Piracy Act) | Who in Congress Supports SOPA and PROTECT-IP? | SOPA Opera

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    I'm no expert on politics or technology but I do remember seeing a documentary on Bill Gates (Microsoft) and the way the Gov. squeezed money out of them seems similar to the motivation behind this action.

Basically, early in MS's history they started making HUGE profits and not spending any (or little) money on any political candidates or lobbying. The politicians realized that Microsoft needed to have a couple actions started that would have an effect on them so they would have a reason to "support" something. After MS started giving their "protection money" to political parties their lawsuits and political hurdles went away.

If there isn't a threat of something being taken away from you then you don't have a reason to contribute to a group to help you fight it. I realize it isn't that simple but this concept has to be playing a role.

Yup like I said before sounds just like the mafia to me. Why don't they pass the law that government officials can't accept bribes. Corrupt bastards.

Steelman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    Danville, IN
    Lugar Response

Dear Mr. Steelman:

Thank you for sharing with me your opposition to proposals such as S.
    968, the Protect IP Act of 2011, and H.R. 3261, the Stop Online Piracy
    Act. I appreciate having the benefit of your views.

The widespread use of digital media is still a relatively new
    phenomenon, and the law has not caught up with all the capabilities
    available to anyone with a computer and Internet access. This has
    prompted a vigorous debate on how digital copyrights should be
    protected, particularly with respect to the ongoing conflict between the
    rights of artists and producers to protect their intellectual property
    versus the recognized right of consumers to make recordings for personal
    use.

While I believe that we must ensure the continuing integrity of our
    important copyright laws both domestically and abroad, I agree that
    enforcement must take place in a manner that protects the rights of all
    parties involved. I will closely follow consideration of these and
    other relevant proposals with your concerns in mind.

Again, thank you for contacting me. Knowing your concerns is helpful to
    me.

Sincerely,

Richard G.
    Lugar
    United
    States Senator

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Wow, that was a very typical Lugar non-response. He completely failed to take a position on it. Wonder what his financials look like? How much recording industry money does he have in his coffers? My guess is he'll fall right in line and support it.

Steelman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    Danville, IN
    I'm still waiting on the same from Coats. No support for the Intarwebz from the Wonder Twins.

Wow, that was a very typical Lugar non-response. He completely failed to take a position on it. Wonder what his financials look like? How much recording industry money does he have in his coffers? My guess is he'll fall right in line and support it.

MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    Dear Mr. Steelman:

Thank you for sharing with me your opposition to proposals such as S.
    968, the Protect IP Act of 2011, and H.R. 3261, the Stop Online Piracy
    Act. I appreciate having the benefit of your views.

The widespread use of digital media is still a relatively new
    phenomenon, and the law has not caught up with all the capabilities
    available to anyone with a computer and Internet access. This has
    prompted a vigorous debate on how digital copyrights should be
    protected, particularly with respect to the ongoing conflict between the
    rights of artists and producers to protect their intellectual property
    versus the recognized right of consumers to make recordings for personal
    use.

While I believe that we must ensure the continuing integrity of our
    important copyright laws both domestically and abroad, I agree that
    enforcement must take place in a manner that protects the rights of all
    parties involved. I will closely follow consideration of these and
    other relevant proposals with your concerns in mind.

Again, thank you for contacting me. Knowing your concerns is helpful to
    me.

Sincerely,

Richard G.
    Lugar
    United
    States Senator

Translation offered in plain English:

"**** up a rope son."

Colts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2011
    Roundabout Circle City
    Half Empty or Half Full

Not to make a light of a serious issue but . . .

A. Protesters shut down search engines, email, etc. for a day or two; sounds like a good ole fashion snow day. I hope the weather is nice and I have the opportunity for some target practice. :D

B. SOPA happens and eventually SHTF; now those prepared can see how their plan works (do they have enough supplies, who can they count on, etc.). Maybe we can learn something and will find use for landlines, fax machines, printed material, etc.? ;)

The real worry is if everyone has to start communicating with their families and associates direct in person instead of hiding out on the Internet using someone else's copyrighted media. :laugh::laugh:

Sorry, back to our regularly scheduled program - write your congressman and stop the maddness.

I wish people would quit breaking into my house and pasting stuff like this in my messages:
    6517890719_98d5a17e5c_z.jpg

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    You missed him and you know it! :D

Well yes & no. But now he has gone all "sue happy" and thinks he is the SOPA Sue Nazi. :laugh:

Would SOPA apply to words as well? Like in my AVATAR the word "Jedi"?
    The picture I own since that is a custom LEGO minfig I had created for me. So no suing me for that one.

Top Bottom