Sorry for the noob question. What is the difference between 5.56nato and .223?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Though not well versed in such things, I can tell you that the chamber pressure of the 5.56 is higher than the .223. Burn rates and powders, etc.
    The .223 can be fired using a rifle chambered for 5.56 with no ill effects, the converse is not true for 5.56 through a rifle chamber solely for .223. It could, in fact, be potentially devestating, both to the rifle and the shooter.
    I would suppose the same would be true in the .308 VS 7.62.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Though not well versed in such things, I can tell you that the chamber pressure of the 5.56 is higher than the .223. Burn rates and powders, etc.
    The .223 can be fired using a rifle chambered for 5.56 with no ill effects, the converse is not true for 5.56 through a rifle chamber solely for .223. It could, in fact, be potentially devestating, both to the rifle and the shooter.
    I would suppose the same would be true in the .308 VS 7.62.

The first part of your answer is spot on. However, it's the reverse for the .308 vs. 7.62. You can shoot 7.62 out of a .308 with no problem, but a .308 round shouldn't be fired in a 7.62 chamber.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    The first part of your answer is spot on. However, it's the reverse for the .308 vs. 7.62. You can shoot 7.62 out of a .308 with no problem, but a .308 round shouldn't be fired in a 7.62 chamber.

Thanks for squaring me away on that. I was not sure (obviously). Glad someone helped answer the rest of th OP's question.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    The main difference i know is the price. 5.56 is usually alot more expensive and i can only find it in 20 round packs. 223 is cheaper and easier to find in bulk.

What are you talking about? I always buy military 5.56x45 in case quantities, M193 or SS109. I don't think I even have any .223. Put another 1000 on strippers a couple of weeks ago.

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    I can find them for the same price at Ammoman.com.
    You can fire .223 out of a rifle designed for 5.56.
    You should not fire 5.56 out of a rifle that is designed for .223

This. And you can shoot 7.62 in a barrel chambered for .308 but not the other way around.

5.56/7.62 military grade
    .223/.308 ciivilian grade.

I bought a bolt rifle chambered in .308 and an AR chambered in 5.56 so I can shoot what I want.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    You're correct about the chamber pressures being higher, but one of the most important differences is the wall thickness of the case. 5.56mm cases have thicker walls = lower internal volume = higher pressure levels when loaded with the same loads as .223.

A 5.56mm will pressure test at about 2000psi higher than a 223 loaded with comparable powder.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Aszergian, I agree with you on the pressures, that sounds reasonable, and I am too tired to look up the Sammi specs. Where did you get your info on thicker case brass between military over commercial brass? I tried to type in the findings of my experiment, but my data must be too long, as the software keeps telling me I am not permited to add the post. I may have to put my experiment in part at a time. I was not able to prove military brass is thicker by weight, volume or measurement, even using good sound scientific and statistical systems.

M2 ball ammo is definately thicker than commercial 30-06, you can feel the weight with your hand. 7.62 X 51 brass is some thicker than commercial .308, and it shows easily on a scale. the M-16 ammo is a different story

Last edited:

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Aszergian, I agree with you on the pressures, that sounds reasonable, and I am too tired to look up the Sammi specs. Where did you get your info on thicker case brass between military over commercial brass?

It was a published torture test between the .223 and 5.56mm brass. Starting with new brass, before the test, they sawed a few lengthwise and measured case thickness at the base, body, shoulders and neck. I don't remember where the article was, most likely in a gun magazine. I'm sure I could find it if I really looked for it.

If you have different information, please share. I'm not averse to be corrected if I'm wrong about it.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I'll write it some at a time so it will not kick me off.
    Not a correction, but an experiment
    I took 5 or 6 cases from different brands, ie: LC, LC NATO cross, WWC, Federal, Remington, Winchester, PMC etc I figure this would be a good sample
    Next is my system

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    1) tumble them all night to eliminate soot variations
    2) lube, size and deprime
    3) trim to exactly the same length
    4) weigh all the cases
    5) After priming with the same primer, Fill them to the top with BLC-2 powder because of small consistant granuals, striking level with a razor blade
    6) weigh all the powder charges
    7) section a couple from each group with a band saw in a fixture to make all the lengthwise cuts the same

My findings will be the next post

Last edited:
    Top Bottom