• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    So I have an S&W Model 41 that exhibited an alarming problem the last time I took it to the range. Namely, if you loaded a magazine, chambered a round and engaged the safety, the safety would in fact keep you from firing a shot when the trigger was pulled, but upon disengaging the safety the pistol would immediately fire. So I put a call into Customer Service, only to find out that the factory would be shut down for two weeks and would open again on August 11th. Hmm, well ok, I'll make a note of that.

Bright and early on August 11th I call in and after about an hour listening to music on speakerphone I get a gentleman who, upon hearing of my issue, says that I will receive a prepaid shipping label via email within 48hrs.

I do not receive said label with 48hrs.

After about 96hrs I dash an email off to the Service email address referencing my call and inquire about my label. To which I receive a reply in about a day saying essentially, we got your email, we'll get back with you within 48hrs.

I don't hear back from them within 48hrs.

Once again, I call in to the Service center, and once again after about an hour I speak with a gentleman who is able to find my information, and sadly informs me that NO labels have been able to be printed for "a couple weeks" because they have just implemented SAP and the printers they've used perfectly for 10 years can no longer be communicated with. But they think they are almost fixed.

I actually burst out laughing (having gone through an SAP implementation a little over a year ago) and tell him that I won't be holding my breath, and relate to him some of the misery which defines SAP. He tells me for sure in a couple days I'll get my label.

I don't get my label.

I call back on August 28th and after only waiting about 15 minutes this time I reach a gentleman who struggles, but finds me in their system ("this dad burned new computer, I can't find anything anymore!" - I silently chuckle and make encouraging sounds on the phone), and relates that "there's one guy that can manually send a label, but he's out right now. I'll have him send it as soon as he gets in!".

I thank him.

I get an email!!!

There's no attachment.

I reply to the email explaining that there is no attachment, and lo and behold, I get my label in about 2hrs!
    :bacondance:

So that was the 28th of August. On the 29th of August I bundle up the gun and drop it at FedEx. Because of the holiday it doesn't arrive in Houlton, ME until the afternoon of Sep 3rd.

I get ready to wait for someone to contact me, email me, let me know how long it is going to be for service, what with the recall going on and all -

This afternoon I get notified that I have a package at FedEx and I can come get it.

New safety fitted, test fire, a little ding on the bolt face (hardly noticeable, but I knew it was there) repaired, and the pistol is back to 100%

3 weeks to print a label out of SAP, 3 days to repair and return a Model 41 to a happy owner.

Ain't technology grand...

Top Bottom