• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nepherael

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2019
    Mentone
    I encourage you to come out and shoot the match. Just let them know you are a new shooter and they'll pair you with a squad and ro that will help you along.

Just shoot the stages accurately and you'll be fine. Speed will come naturally IMO.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm sure I would run slow but what I'm most concerned about is breaking a safety rule. Such as, running left and reloading and breaking the 180 plane or something. I'll just have to be super careful.

I really wanna sign up because I just love shooting so far but adding in the movement aspect will give me a lot to focus on to make sure I'm doing everything correctly.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Dont make it a bigger thing than it is. Just be safe and have fun.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I can make that happen at wvpps in may

I think some level of challenge is fun or else I'd be in one of the optics / comps / big mags / short bus / divisions , but in general I don't like stuff where a new shooter feels like they do not have a chance.

That said, B.Stoeger wrote that one of the things other people screwed up when he won the multi day flowers & IPSC thing was that they did not take a safety shot at hard swingers. Makes me wonder how tough things get at some of the bigger USPSA matches.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I think some level of challenge is fun or else I'd be in one of the optics / comps / big mags / short bus / divisions , but in general I don't like stuff where a new shooter feels like they do not have a chance.

That said, B.Stoeger wrote that one of the things other people screwed up when he won the multi day flowers & IPSC thing was that they did not take a safety shot at hard swingers. Makes me wonder how tough things get at some of the bigger USPSA matches.

Limited nationals last year was very tough.

sv40sw45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    South Indiana
    At local Matches you have to challenge the Good shooters and no scare of the lower class shooters because they are the ones who help set up Matches. With out them we would not be shooting. I could set up stages as hard as any major match and runoff a lot of lower class shooters.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    This has been discussed for years.
    The experienced shooters have to realize that the setup crew doesn't have time to build National level stages every stage of every match.
    They also have to realize that many of the shooters at a club match are newer shooters or from the "I'm here to have fun crowd" and we don't want to see them leave a stage beat down from a really hard stage. Hopefully they will stick around long enough to see that even good shooters have bad stages and matches.

The same applies for newer shooters, they have to realize that the stages might seem tuff for their skill level while they are trying to remember what to do and when to do it while being safe.

The bigger matches and nationals have very few if any "New shooters" and most have at least several club matches under their belt.
    Stages at these matches should be a little harder IMO.
    My definition of harder is some tighter shots and some longer shots and some memory stages. More props like swingers, etc. I DON'T like circus stages where shooting is not the challenge.

I really like stages with lots of options on how to shoot.
    Stage 2 at this match was a great example. we had around 12 people on our squad and I bet that it was shot 8 or 9 different ways depending on equipment/capacity and skill level.:yesway:

I like memory stages but I don't want every stage at a match to be a memory stage.
    I don't care for hoser stages but don't mind one in a match just not all of them.
    A mix of everything keeps most everyone happy.

There are no perfect scores in USPSA( other than some PAR time classifers) so if you are complaining about stages not being challenging enough then GO FASTER:):.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I meant it when I said good stages for the match. I would tend to disagree about stage 2 being great. 30 round stage with 20 rounds crammed in the front half just did not appeal to me. No big deal but I would not be singing its praises.

I made a comment that skunk targets up close seemed like a waste. Grelber was making a smart ass comment about they should be swinging and I called him on it and he retreated. This is how I see this discussion going down. Was not meaning to make any disparaging remarks on stage design at South Central.

I have some experience designing stages and match directing as well. I also have some experiencing *****ing and if that is what I am doing it will be obvious.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County

This carry optics thingy ain't all its cracked up to be. I'm finding it difficult.
    I'm not going to give up yet but that limited gun is calling my name and the front sight is fuzzy all the time time now :rolleyes:

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Coach I wasn't saying you were *****ing.

Just curious why the "skunk" targets were a waste. Lots of pasters in the black after the match.

As for stage 2 I was shooting the lowest capacity gun in the match and found the stage fun and interesting. Those 20 rounds up front took 5 stops to shoot them or 4 stops and shoot one array on the move.:dunno:

I also have some experience designing stages and match directing not that it makes any difference in this discussion.

My comments were in general and nothing more than adding my :twocents: to Max's comment.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Coach I wasn't saying you were *****ing.

If you guys are going to hug after this please do it when I ain't looking.

Seems like, for what I know, the area is blessed with good matches so I assume it is all talking and no *****ing. Back to match stuff instead of man feelings, some of the stages with movers and a fast way versus a slower safer way seem to suit different skill levels well and it is fun to decide whether you are better off to go lower risk instead of higher reward.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    This carry optics thingy ain't all its cracked up to be. I'm finding it difficult. :rolleyes:

Tried it one match and hated it, stuff just wasn't where you wanted it to be when you pointed. I could see getting retrained so it worked but I can't figure out how some folks can easily switch back and forth.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    A stage with five stops does not appeal to me especially with all of them at one end of the stage. Perhaps low capacity guns don't mind all the stops. Not my thing. Don't see how a bunch of stops is a shooting challenge. Skunks further away is a shooting challenge, which is what I was saying about that. Like on stage 1 if you shot the skunk from the start position.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    Tried it one match and hated it, stuff just wasn't where you wanted it to be when you pointed. I could see getting retrained so it worked but I can't figure out how some folks can easily switch back and forth.
    I'm with you on the switching back and forth being a challenge

Top Bottom