• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Well you just keep thinking that way. Eventually we'll withdraw from everything but our little island. Just see where that will get you.

You apparently have failed to learn that protecting the stupid from themselves is a fool's errand. There has been a strong anti-US movement in SK for a number of years and those people have won the recent election there. It is not our responsibility, and arguably not our prerogative to protect them when they have made it abundantly clear that they reject our protection. Once again, they have made their bed and now they can lie in it.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    You apparently have failed to learn that protecting the stupid from themselves is a fool's errand. There has been a strong anti-US movement in SK for a number of years and those people have won the recent election there. It is not our responsibility, and arguably not our prerogative to protect them when they have made it abundantly clear that they reject our protection. Once again, they have made their bed and now they can lie in it.

I guess it was bound to happen... +1

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Actually, Moon sounds just like our dimocrats and the EPA. He didn't call for the withdrawal of the launchers in place just a halt on the expansion of the site until they do an environmental assessment.

This is a stupid move that will please no one but **** off everyone else. The Chinese and nuke happy NorKs will not be appeased because it does not remove the site that they oppose. We and Japan will be pissed because they are trying to placate the enemy and weakening our hand.

This whole situation is just another success for the UN whose name should be Nations United in Unending Conflict. Their 'Peace Keepers' only hold the fighting sides at a stalemate that will draw out unendingly until real war starts up again; keeping the body count to an acceptable level to stay out of the general attention of other countries.

We are after all still officially at war here, there was never a Peace Treaty as after the Vietnam conflict (a treaty that turned out very poorly for SV, as one with NK would now for SK). If we are going to go hot here though, we need to make sure that this time any support from China/Russia will be viewed in it's correct context and will cost them accordingly. If it must be war, then let it BE war. Put their fleets on the bottom of the ocean, sweep their silly islands clean, empty the skies of their aircraft and if need be make their hills and valleys glow.

And yes folks, we can do it. Their militaries are not ready and hopefully will never be. They will find as Sadam did (despite reporting to the contrary at the time about how we were going to have massive casualties) that the only thing more expensive than a first class military is going to war with a second class military.

Damn the UN and their perpetual stalemates. It only makes the tyrants feel good about not losing.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Actually, Moon sounds just like our dimocrats and the EPA. He didn't call for the withdrawal of the launchers in place just a halt on the expansion of the site until they do an environmental assessment.

This is a stupid move that will please no one but **** off everyone else. The Chinese and nuke happy NorKs will not be appeased because it does not remove the site that they oppose. We and Japan will be pissed because they are trying to placate the enemy and weakening our hand.

This whole situation is just another success for the UN whose name should be Nations United in Unending Conflict. Their 'Peace Keepers' only hold the fighting sides at a stalemate that will draw out unendingly until real war starts up again; keeping the body count to an acceptable level to stay out of the general attention of other countries.

We are after all still officially at war here, there was never a Peace Treaty as after the Vietnam conflict (a treaty that turned out very poorly for SV, as one with NK would now for SK). If we are going to go hot here though, we need to make sure that this time any support from China/Russia will be viewed in it's correct context and will cost them accordingly. If it must be war, then let it BE war. Put their fleets on the bottom of the ocean, sweep their silly islands clean, empty the skies of their aircraft and if need be make their hills and valleys glow.

And yes folks, we can do it. Their militaries are not ready and hopefully will never be. They will find as Sadam did (despite reporting to the contrary at the time about how we were going to have massive casualties) that the only thing more expensive than a first class military is going to war with a second class military.

Damn the UN and their perpetual stalemates. It only makes the tyrants feel good about not losing.

I truly wish the rep-system still worked.

Baditude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    SE Indianapolis
    Not thrilled about my daughter being deployed there in the next few weeks. Hopefully things will not escalate during her deployment. I would prefer to see all American troops being reduced overseas and other Nato countries supplying their own troops for defense.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I was stationed there and I'm very aware of their situation and I don't think it's the right move in the long run. However I do have to wonder what all went into their calculation for doing so and if Trump wasn't a major factor. It's not like he is the most predictable or a source of calm and reassurance. This move does seem like a pretty big break from the US. Not saying we'll pull out our troops but this can't be something they figured would go over well with the US either.

I would disagree. The US has come to be seen as a paper tiger. They likely feel this is another Obama-era 'Red Line', the crossing of which will cost them nothing of significance and thus they can do so with impunity

The current crux can be seen as win-win, either they start taking us and our strategic concerns seriously, or they can kick us to the curb and take responsibility for their own continued existence and we'll bring the boys and girls home. From such stark, realpolitik choices comes the beginning of wisdom

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I don't know about the 'leaving them unprotected' part. The missile defense system isn't as much about protecting South Korea as it is say Japan and US territories. A missile defense system won't help Seoul in the event of a conflict.

So reread what you just wrote. If they don't care to assist us with our security problems with the little madman, do we really have a strategic partnership or another ally who will hold our coat while we defend their existence

Do a cost/benefit analysis on that

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    It will probably be SK and more than a few countries will probably pitch in to keep them where they are...besides it won't take much of an upturn to make the average NorK think that life is just grand where they are. Look! We have lights! And food!

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    It will probably be SK and more than a few countries will probably pitch in to keep them where they are...besides it won't take much of an upturn to make the average NorK think that life is just grand where they are. Look! We have lights! And food!

I'm figuring there are going to be a bunch of folks not really ready for the world. I was also thinking that if I got control of North Korea, I would move a bunch of SoK's north pronto and diffuse a proportionate number of NorK's. One group of folks lives in the area of North Korea and it is a mess. I'm betting it is the folks and not the dirt, so split the Nork's up and difuse them, see if everything flattens out in a generation or so.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    If they had a government that didn't take everything from them they would probably be more successful. One of the biggest issues will be those formerly in power and the military who've been living off the work of others. They are used to being fed and housed for who they are, finding out they will have to do something productive and won't just get more than everyone else because will be an inconvenient revelation.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I completed two tours in Korea.
    The ROK has a reunification plans for every possible situation from famine to regime overthrow.
    It would have to be led by the ROK the north hates the US and Russia as well.
    They really hate Japan like blood feud style.

Top Bottom