• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm (mostly) joking. Sit in on jury selection some time and see the answers people give to try and not be selected. It's the most amusing part of jury selection. Actually, the only amusing part in a pretty boring process.

I understand. You are face to face with the underbelly and your work is directly affected, on top of having to see what most of us don't regularly.

I went through the process a couple years ago, but didn't get seated on a jury. I think it renews every 2 years, so I could be notified again anytime.

At my single experience (in Btown) there was no one trying to get out of it. Actually one gent got picked for a jury the first time, after numerous times going through the process over years and years.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I understand. You are face to face with the underbelly and your work is directly affected, on top of having to see what most of us don't regularly.

I went through the process a couple years ago, but didn't get seated on a jury. I think it renews every 2 years, so I could be notified again anytime.

At my single experience (in Btown) there was no one trying to get out of it. Actually one gent got picked for a jury the first time, after numerous times going through the process over years and years.

I have a family member that got called multiple times pretty close together so maybe they've changed the 2 year thing?

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I don't think I'd be able to sit there and listen to a bunch of ******* cry about how bad they got it that they can't even help their fellow citizens out by serving on a jury. Can the judge issue a ***** slap warrant?

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I've never even "tried" to get out of it.
    And yes, there'd be at least 1 anti-cop person who'd vote against it, just because it was an officer being hit.

I don't have to try ..... I recieved a post card, in the mail, and had a number to call,

I called and answered ALL questions HONESTLY, and THEY said I didn't qualify .....

Seems they don't want people who can't hear well .....

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Answers on jury questionnaires at my last jury trial:

"I've been mistreated by minorities my whole life"
    "I can't be fair if Scientology is involved"

There was a woman who said she knew one of the officers from 10 years ago because the officer used to routinely respond to where she worked at a strip club, and she served the prosecutors beer. The officer in question was not even old enough to be an officer 10 years ago and neither prosecutor had ever been in the bar she said she currently worked for.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    https://bluelivesmatter.blue/jason-brown-killed-aaron-allen/
    Media Paints Soft Picture Of Cop-Killer Who Ambushed Lt. Allan, Shot Him 14 Times

I don't think I'd call that bias on the part of the media outlet so accused (WRTV), but more like a case of them soliciting comments from those who knew the perp, likely fellow loser friends who predictably talk about what a good little dindu he was.
    The national news media are certainly more apt to deliberately distort the facts than our local folks, at least it seems that way up to this point.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I like the way Morgan County does it
    They select x number of folks at the beginning of the year and send them a questionnaire.
    The initial jury pool is selected with the questionnaire.
    They contact those folks to show up for jury selection.
    If you are chosen and serve
    You're off the list for 2 years
    I've served on 2 juries it was not a hardship

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm (mostly) joking. Sit in on jury selection some time and see the answers people give to try and not be selected. It's the most amusing part of jury selection. Actually, the only amusing part in a pretty boring process.

I like the way Morgan County does it
    They select x number of folks at the beginning of the year and send them a questionnaire.
    The initial jury pool is selected with the questionnaire.
    They contact those folks to show up for jury selection.
    If you are chosen and serve
    You're off the list for 2 years
    I've served on 2 juries it was not a hardship

It would be for me.

On my last notice, I wrote a comment expressing my resentment at (potentially) being forced against my will to enter a place that would bar my entry with the gear I normally carry.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I have been called at least four times. One of those times there was a shooting right outside the courthouse. I was on the third (IIRC) floor and heard a sound like a muffled shot. Then a couple seconds later I hear another... and the deputies radios start going on about it. Walked over to the window and saw the aftermath. Divorce didn't go the way he wanted I guess.

Never served, only been questioned once. That day they kept us all there and then released us a long while after. I would serve and be as honest as I could. I admit it would be tough with a crime against a child...

SwikLS

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2015
    The Bunker
    Got called up for first time a year or so ago.
    Waited 4 hours in another courtroom with about 2 dozens other people.
    Finally get in the courtroom where they are interviewing jurors.
    They pick the last few jurors and send the rest of us home.
    I was never interviewed.
    A few days later the defendant takes a plea deal.

Top Bottom