• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    This story got national attention, and really, in the internet age where information is at nearly everyone's fingertips, is a change of venue even relevant anymore? But yes, given Marion County's swinging door justice system, PLEASE take him to somewhere else where criminals aren't given the keys to the city.
    Relevant to cases that get national attention like this, no, not really except it will reduce the chances of personal connections or bias to the victim or defendant. You can't un-see the media coverage, but the judge may have been a bar-buddy with Lt Allen, or a juror may have a grudge against the perps cousin. Juror selection can't select for ALL possible connections and ties. That being said, in cases that don't get media attention there are absolutely justifications for a change of venue. Such as the PA's neighbor getting a DUI; it's a conflict of interest for the PA, so they request a change of venue (true story BTW).
    Mr. Allen deserved a fair shot at a full life but was denied that. Fair is Fair right?
    I'm sorry but to agree would completely undermine our justice system. Many may live by the motto "an eye for an eye" but some do not.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Relevant to cases that get national attention like this, no, not really except it will reduce the chances of personal connections or bias to the victim or defendant. You can't un-see the media coverage, but the judge may have been a bar-buddy with Lt Allen, or a juror may have a grudge against the perps cousin. Juror selection can't select for ALL possible connections and ties. That being said, in cases that don't get media attention there are absolutely justifications for a change of venue. Such as the PA's neighbor getting a DUI; it's a conflict of interest for the PA, so they request a change of venue (true story BTW).

Good points regarding personal connections between victim/accused/judicial officials and potential jurors. I guess I hadn't considered that aspect of it, especially since this particular defendant (through his lawyer of course) complained about "pre-trial publicity". That made me think of the media coverage reasoning.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. When an officer is shot 11 times and killed, seeking the death penalty seems like "just a cigar" to me.
    Perhaps.

I'm not sure Curry has followed through on a capital case at all in his tenure. I could be wrong, though.

Perry Renn - plea, LWOP
    David Moore - plea, LWOP

I think those are the only officers killed during Curry's term in office. I am aware of other death-eligible cases not filed as such.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Bradway, but the suspect was also killed in the exchange, so of course the prosecutor's office didn't have to make any charging decisions.
    Ah - of course, I was negligent in my off hand description. Bradway (I know someone who knew him well) didn't cross my mind because I was thinking only of prosecutions.

Heavy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2016
    Tippecanoe County
    If are available to get to Applebee’s for lunch or dinner tonight they are offering 15% of the bill to be donated to the Lieutenant Aaron Allan Family Fund. Today only Tuesday October 10th 11am- 9pm. Diners will need to notify their server that you wish for them to donate the 15%. Curbside to go as well.

At these participating locations:

Anderson, Avon, Bloomington, Brownsburg, Camby, Carmel, Columbus, Crawfordsville, Edinburgh, Fishers, Frankfort, Franklin, Greenfield, Greenwood, Indianapolis (Pike Plaza, Castleton, East Washington, Lawrence, North Willow), Kokomo, Lafayette, West Lafayette, Logansport, Marion, Muncie, New Castle, Noblesville, Plainfield, Shelbyville, Speedway.

Top Bottom