• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Got this today... Spanish Destroyer, chambered in 9mm Largo (aka 9mm Bergmann), made in 1965. :)

IMG_2388_zps9356d234.jpg

IMG_2389_zpsea8bee1c.jpg

IMG_2391_zpsb2a3ef77.jpg

IMG_2390_zps204dc88c.jpg

IMG_2392_zps3bbf40cb.jpg

mkgr22

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2010
    Starlight, IN
    It looks great, Jim. Serial shows made in 1965. Have you found ammo yet?

How do you keep from falling in the dark, with all your dogs toys booby trapping you?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    It looks great, Jim. Serial shows made in 1965. Have you found ammo yet?

How do you keep from falling in the dark, with all your dogs toys booby trapping you?
    LOL @ dog toys! Hey, at least I kept my feet out of the pics this time! I think I'm going to go ahead and order 1000 rounds of some corrosive surplus for $209.95 from Sarco.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    As you may have guessed already, I have one of these too. One of the main weapons of the Guardia Civil during the Civil War. I will see if I can dig mine out. I actually was able to get an official Guardia Civil sling for mine as well. Pretty hard to come by in this country. Extra magazines can be found for these if you look. They were once easier to get though.

These are a really nice plinker and I truly love mine. Mine is a bit older than yours.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    As you may have guessed already, I have one of these too. One of the main weapons of the Guardia Civil during the Civil War. I will see if I can dig mine out. I actually was able to get an official Guardia Civil sling for mine as well. Pretty hard to come by in this country. Extra magazines can be found for these if you look. They were once easier to get though.

These are a really nice plinker and I truly love mine. Mine is a bit older than yours.
    The seller actually threw in 2 extra mags (they weren't mentioned in the auction description), and I've seen a few places that have them, and I was surprised at how cheap they are!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Cool! Those are some neat little rifles, too bad somebody doesn't make new ammo for them.

Yeah, I've been reading that Blazer used to make some, but no longer does. Starline makes new brass for it though, and it uses the same projectiles as 9mm luger, so I may look into picking up some of that. Between the surplus and a little new brass, I'll be set for a long time. Not like I'll be putting thousands of rounds through it, but I am looking forward to shooting it. Even DoggyMama likes it... she thinks most of my rifles are too heavy. :):

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    We should get together and shoot sometime and shoot some Spanish Firearms.

I reload 9 Largo and have for a long time. Fiocchi makes ir commercially too if you are wanting to buy some. There isn't as much surplus as there was and it is only getting older so there is a chance some of it isn't all that good any longer. I have a special case with all the empty boxes in it of 9 largo Spanish Made ammo, it was made/packed the day I was born. When that one came in I almost cried for joy. I love getting stuff like that but I still fired off the ammo. I just made sure to open the boxes carefully and put them back when I was done.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    We should get together and shoot sometime and shoot some Spanish Firearms.

I reload 9 Largo and have for a long time. Fiocchi makes ir commercially too if you are wanting to buy some. There isn't as much surplus as there was and it is only getting older so there is a chance some of it isn't all that good any longer. I have a special case with all the empty boxes in it of 9 largo Spanish Made ammo, it was made/packed the day I was born. When that one came in I almost cried for joy. I love getting stuff like that but I still fired off the ammo. I just made sure to open the boxes carefully and put them back when I was done.

That's pretty neat to find some ammo from your birth year. As I'm sure you do, I've got lots of ammo that is older than me (and I'm 54!). I changed my mind on the corrosive ammo at the last minute and ordered 500 rounds of non-corrosive, although I think it's still Berdan primed and not reloadable. Sarco has free shipping this month, although they still tacked on a 30 dollar "handling fee", so it's not really free. I'm always up for an opportunity to meet and shoot! I still haven't shot my 1893 yet. I think my 1916 needs some work. The trigger is horrible (I mean like 30 lbs. horrible), so I need to take a look at it. It only acts up with a round chambered too, so it's a little hard to replicate the problem. I may leave that to my gunsmith. That's good to know about the Fiocchi commercial stuff. My ammo search engines turn up precious little, if anything, so I'll just have to keep my eye out for it, and maybe find some at a show.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I had a box of the CCI Blazer stuff, in fact, I think I still have a few rounds. But it was the aluminum cased stuff, so not reloadable.

Ah, well I guess it's no great loss that they're not making it anymore if that's the case. Truthfully, I'm guessing the 500 rounds will last me quite awhile though. Now I just need some "Spanish rifle" weather instead of this "Mosin Nagant" weather that's coming our way tonight!

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Miller Tyme: I would love a Potato Gun*, I had to sell the bulk of my collection a few years ago due to medical bills but if DD doesn't take it, I will if you are willing.

DoggyDaddy: I am open to meet and shoot anytime, send me a PM and we can see what we work out.

*a friend of mine used to call any of the Astras like the 600 "Potato Guns" because they kinda look like those old potato guns you could see for sale in the back of comic books back in the day.

**I am three years your junior DD. I've found plenty of older than me ammo too. :)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Nice rifle DD, now you need an Astra400 to go along with it.

Thanks MT! I don't know about an Astra... they're odd looking little pistols. The angle of the grip seems like it would feel weird, but another friend has one, so we'll see how I feel when I get the chance to try his out. :)

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Those are pretty cool! I've got a Llama 1911 from the 1930's mad always wanted a Destroyer to go alongside it. I've loaded ammo for mine using .38 super cases and .38 acp level loads with cast and jacketed bullets. I've got a decent amount of old, non corrosive Santa Barbara ammo. I also have part of a box of the blazer ammo loaded with Jacketed hollow points! I carried the pistol a few times. I also have a spare .45 acp up pew end for it that shoots just fine. I haven't shoot mine in years, but it is a very we'll made pistol, unlike the later Llamas.

Top Bottom