• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spainy79

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    Back in May I went to an auction here in Sullivan that consisted of 200 firearms; all of which were confiscated weapons through the Sullivan County Court. The county, instead of using tax dollars to have the guns destroyed, auctioned off all the firearms back to the public. They saw this as a way to help fund the county rather than spend tax dollars. My questions are have any other counties in Indiana done this and what are your opinions of these auctions?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I'd much rather see them go to responsible gun owners rather than be destroyed. Destroying them serves no purpose other than to create a media spectacle.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    I saw something that would make you cry.

Back in May I went to an auction here in Sullivan that consisted of 200 firearms; all of which were confiscated weapons through the Sullivan County Court. The county, instead of using tax dollars to have the guns destroyed, auctioned off all the firearms back to the public. They saw this as a way to help fund the county rather than spend tax dollars. My questions are have any other counties in Indiana done this and what are your opinions of these auctions?

I worked for a iron foundry in Miami for five years and twice a year the Miami police would bring a large box truck full of firearms to have us melt down. You would think the president of the US was coming there was so much security. They had swat guys all over the place and a helicopter overhead. The guns had to be carried up a set of stairs at least fifty feet and big guys would often stand there and watch some female cop lug them up. I saw so many beautiful guns get melted it would bring tears to your eyes.

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Went to a Sherrif confiscated gun auction in Putnam county (Greencastle) a couple of years ago and some of the guns had got wet in storage and were in different stages of rust etc. Many were not damaged though, I bought a model 24 Savage with lots of surface rust, cleaned up o.k, not perfect but functioned well.

coltaceguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Indiana
    I see guns on gunbroker all the time from layefette being sold by that county.

Problem is, most are DEMILLED. B/c I always wondered why they had so many AK kits for sale, dawned on me, they cut the damn receiver and sold the rest as "parts" only.

They probably have 2-4 Ak "KITS" a week on gunbroker.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I attended a police auction years ago in Vigo county where they did the same thing. No clue if they still do or not.

clay

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    in union county the sheriff wanted to set up a gun auction but after cheaking into it all confiscated guns were ordered destroyed by the court and the judge wont change the order so they can be destroyed. atleast thats the way i understand it from the sheriffs deputies

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Every auction I have been to was a bust. People get "gun fever" and bid the prices up so high it is ridiculous. Last time I went to an estate gun sale, all the guns went for prices I would have thought overpriced if they were NIB in a retail store.

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    Indianapolis/Marion County use to have them twice a year. They stopped in the late 80s early 90s. I emailed (then) IPD and aksed them about it. They said they stopped when the person in charge (don't remember if it was Sheriff or Chief) didn't want to auction them off. The person at IPD said they really missed the money that came in as it went directly to their training fund.

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    Every auction I have been to was a bust. People get "gun fever" and bid the prices up so high it is ridiculous. Last time I went to an estate gun sale, all the guns went for prices I would have thought overpriced if they were NIB in a retail store.

That was a problem at the auction I went to. I was anticipating some good deals and couldn't believe some of the prices they sold for. The highest gun was a (may be wrong on the type) Colt 1911 .38 that sold for over $1600. I picked up a Mosin 91 for $75. The stock on it was junk but I decided to give it a good home. It shoots just fine.

mrw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    If gun auctions are too high profile for the depts then they should sell them to a handful of FFLs. Local preferred. That would generate more sales taxes revenue too. Heck, if I had an 01 FFL I'd try and get a bunch of others together and approach IPD with an offer. Anything (revenue) is better than melting them down. Especially in this economic climate.

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    If gun auctions are too high profile for the depts then they should sell them to a handful of FFLs. Local preferred. That would generate more sales taxes revenue too. Heck, if I had an 01 FFL I'd try and get a bunch of others together and approach IPD with an offer. Anything (revenue) is better than melting them down. Especially in this economic climate.
    Problem with that is not showing a preference to any one FFL. If Indy did it then Don's would also be in the running to get some of them.

Top Bottom