• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndianaBuckeye

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2011
    Hey Guys,
    Recently, a guy tried to sell me a new, stripped AR lower. He was asking more than it was worth, he said that was because he was willing to sell it without papers. I was under the impression that all AR lowers had to be registered (federal law). I did not buy it, because it was overpriced.... and whole deal seemed a little odd.
    Anyway..... is that a law? Do all AR lowers need to be registered to the current owner?
    Any other odd laws about ARs? I know it used to be a felony if you had pre- and post-ban uppers/lowers mated..... is that still around too?

Thanks!

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Hey Guys,
    Recently, a guy tried to sell me a new, stripped AR lower. He was asking more than it was worth, he said that was because he was willing to sell it without papers. I was under the impression that all AR lowers had to be registered (federal law). I did not buy it, because it was overpriced.... and whole deal seemed a little odd.
    Anyway..... is that a law? Do all AR lowers need to be registered to the current owner?
    If it was a Private Seller (Not a Dealer) then he is wrong... ;)

Any other odd laws about ARs? I know it used to be a felony if you had pre- and post-ban uppers/lowers mated..... is that still around too?

Thanks!
    In what Country?! :dunno::popcorn:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Your impressions are wrong as far as non-NFA firearms.

There is no requirement to register ANY non-NFA firearm by Federal law.

You can mate any non-NFA upper with any lower.

There is no reason to pay more for a no "papers" stripped lower, because there is no requirement for "papers".

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    The laws for ARs are no different than the laws for any other long gun. There are no papers associated with an AR or any other non class 3 firearm. There is no registration for any firearm of any kind in Indiana. The "Assault Weapon Ban" expired years ago, pre ban and post ban are meaningless in Indiana.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    jeremy, he's talking about the VCCA of 1994, in which the gun ban provisions expired in 2004.

Assuming the AR lower is not NFA, then there is no registration requirement (not now, nor during the 1994-2004 freeze) and you are laboring under a misapprehension of the federal and state law.

What you have is someone attempting to rationalize a free market decision based on an imaginary law (laws are passed to do two things: create barriers to entry or to seek economic rents). It happens all the time in the gun culture. Stick around and you'll hear all kinds of silliness being given the force of law because it came from a gun shop, or someone's third cousin who once knew the Town Marshal of Gnawbone, or some such silliness.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Just guessing, but it may have been a registered lower. It's still a NFA item even if it's stripped, I think.
    Good that you passed on it. A registered lower in the possession of someone to whom does not have the PW is a bad thing.

IndianaBuckeye

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2011
    Thanks for the info!

Believe it or not, a dealer was the one who warned me about the "special" AR laws.
    It all made sense until the last post.... Stripped or assembled, all AR lowers are non-NFA, as long as they are not equipped with burst or auto fire... right?
    That would allow private sales without pw.... regardless of who it was registered to.... am I picking up what you are laying down?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Believe it or not, a dealer was the one who warned me about the "special" AR laws.

Oh, we believe it. However, he could have been talking about the 4473 form ("Other" category). So, to the dealer, it is special to him.

Stripped or assembled, all AR lowers are non-NFA, as long as they are not equipped with burst or auto fire... right?

Strictly speaking (well, it's what I do), no. If the AR lower has been in the NFA Registry then it is always a Title II weapon. You cannot unmake it NFA.

However, MOST of the AR lowers (stripped and built) that you see on the dealers' (note the correct usage of plural possessive) shelves are Title I. If you have any doubt, don't touch it. Always ask.

That would allow private sales without pw.... regardless of who it was registered to.... am I picking up what you are laying down?

Are you buying from an FFL? Then no, fill out the 4473.

Are you buying from your buddy in the Navy Club parking lot? Sure, no paperwork necessary but some guys want bills of sale, or at least see pink cards and DLs. (I ask for DLs and pink cards and ask them if they are prohibited persons).

What do you mean by "registered to"?:dunno: There is no registration in Indiana, are you buying from another state where there is registration? Do that at an FFL.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    A lower is considered a "firearm" because that's what has the serial number on it. Unless it's already registered as an NFA, it's just like any other firearm, and does not require a 4473 for a private sale. He's probably hyping the no paperwork aspect to justify the overcharge in price for the ignorant. There would be no paperwork anyway.

IndianaBuckeye

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2011
    Yea, that's what I figured.

I grew up in Ohio..... great football!.... ridiculous firearm laws. I'm finding out that things I assumed were universal truths simply don't apply in a truly free state. :patriot:

Top Bottom